Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2002, 09:35 PM   #1
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Mercedes Lackey

I do not believe this: i don't think anyone has yet posted a Mercedes Lackey thread!! i used to consider her the best author in the world...of course, that was before i discovered terry pratchett, piers anthony, and jrr tolkien (not in that order). i still read her books, especially the serrated edge and bedlam's bard ones. also among my favorites are: the serpent's shadow and the other one about rose and jason cameron, what was the title again??? and many of her valdemar tales.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 06:29 PM   #2
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Alas! For once I, too, read her books and loved them! But lately (read: two years ago) discovered greater authors and as for the Valdemar books, I can only look upon them with disdain. Sorry to anyone who is fan. . .actually, I mostly only read the Valdemar books, and I have a lot of them on my book shelf.
It's sort of amusing, having read LotR, to go back and read other books, and see all the things that were obviously taken from LotR. Anyone read Elvenbane, by M.L. and someone else (don't remember)? Evil, slave-holding elves. Ouch. Perhaps I am too harsh toward those who do not write as well as, say, JRRT, but that's just my current standing. I mean, I used to love M.L.'s books, so who am I to talk? Anyway, just felt like rambling endlessly there. . .But it would be nice to get a discussion going!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 12:44 PM   #3
TinuvielChild
Padawan

yeah, i used to love mercedes lackey, but then i discovered LotR...*sigh* now i consider ML terribly inferior, i'm sorry to say. and then i discovered, in her Valdemar books, Lake Evendim?? that's stolen from the Prof!!! how dare she?!!? whatever...*continues to ramble pointlessly about things in that vein for another 10 minutes, then abruptly shuts up*

yeah. whatever. even though compared to JRRT, she is incredibly inferior, she is in her own right a good author.

<----- yaaay!! post # 333!!!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 03-29-2002, 04:04 PM   #4
Eruviel Greenleaf

After a while, I wasn't too impressed by her writing even before I had read LotR. And so much is taken right out of LotR (the Hawk brothers--Lothlorien elves. . .although the hawk brothers are no where near as cool ) But I did like her writing before, I can't forget that! I liked the gryphons

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-29-2002, 04:52 PM   #5
TinuvielChild
Padawan

yeah...after a while the Valdemar ones started getting really boring. Her SERRA-ted Edge books are pretty cool tho, and the Serpent's Shadow and the Fire Rose i loved.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 03-29-2002, 04:53 PM   #6
TinuvielChild
Padawan

hasn't tano read ML's books? invite her to come post on here, we need more people!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 03-29-2002, 04:53 PM   #7
Eruviel Greenleaf

I haven't read any of those. . .just the Valdemar (and pre-Valdemar) stuff. What's your favorite of those books?

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-29-2002, 04:55 PM   #8
Eruviel Greenleaf

Yeah, Tano has read all the Valdemar ones too. I'll tell her to join in the discussion when i see her today (We're gonna see LotR!! Yay!)

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-29-2002, 04:55 PM   #9
TinuvielChild
Padawan

the serrated edge books do have elves, but they're not copied from LotR, they're taken from Irish mythology (the Sidhe, the Seleighe and Unseleighe Courts). her Di Tregarde books don't have elves at all, and they're good. The entire Valdemar series got pretty boring for me about 2 years ago, and the Elvenbane/Elvenblood thing got me bored 3 (or was it 4?) years ago.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 03-29-2002, 04:57 PM   #10
TinuvielChild
Padawan

ummm...i'm going to have to say..the Black, White, and Silver Gryphons, and the Owl's Flight, Sight, and Knight. ok! my brother is kicking me off the computer...*sigh*

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 03-30-2002, 03:05 AM   #11
Eruviel Greenleaf

I really liked the Elvenbane (now, those elves are taken from Tolkien!) ones a few years ago, but then I read it again last year, and I thought it was absolutely horrendously written. Just my humble opinion, of course. . .

I liked the Gryphon books, and the Talia books, the first three Valdemar ones she wrote. Looking back I don't think they were that great, but I liked them a few years ago! I also liked the Magic's Price or whatever it was trilogy, but I can't say they were particularly well-written either.

I should look for those Serrated Edge books. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-30-2002, 09:06 PM   #12
TinuvielChild
Padawan

yeah, i tend to agree. i went back and reread those (Talia) recently because i liked the story line, and since i'm trying to write something myself, i was rather more critical of her writing style than i ought to have been. Some titles of the serrated edge books are: Born to Run, Chrome Circle, When the Bough Breaks, and Wheels of Fire. they also have 2 books that contain 2 each of the serrated edge: The Chrome Borne (Chrome Circle and Born to Run) and The Otherworld (Wheels of Fire and When the Bough Breaks). yeah, i love those, and the Bedlam's Bard series, which is Bedlam's Bard and Spirits White as Lightning and one i can't remember. they is lots of fun!!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-15-2002, 06:46 PM   #13
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
The serrated edge books are cool (most definately, you gave them to me) but I think I prefer her small series and those about Eric Banyon.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 07:53 PM   #14
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Eric Banyon = Bedlam's Bard

yes, they are most definitely wonderful.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-15-2002, 08:03 PM   #15
Eowyn, The Lioness
Enting

Hmmm...Mercedes Lackey? I'll have to look into that; is she a fantasy author?
Eowyn, The Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 08:18 PM   #16
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Most definately, weelllll it depends. If your definition of sci-fi has to include aliens and space ships, then it isn't, but if it's just out-of-this-world stuff, then it is. She tends to right things that bare some similarities to real life (most noiably the Diana Tregarde), but adds elemnets that you always wished were there. Speaking of Di I really recomend Children of the Night, Jinx High, and Burning Waters.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-15-2002, 08:21 PM   #17
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
I really liked the Elvenbane (now, those elves are taken from Tolkien!) ones a few years ago, but then I read it again last year, and I thought it was absolutely horrendously written. Just my humble opinion, of course. . .

I liked the Gryphon books, and the Talia books, the first three Valdemar ones she wrote. Looking back I don't think they were that great, but I liked them a few years ago! I also liked the Magic's Price or whatever it was trilogy, but I can't say they were particularly well-written either.

I should look for those Serrated Edge books. . .
I really like Elvenbane and ElvenBlood, but I can't find elvenborn!

Old 04-15-2002, 09:13 PM   #18
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Twirling, did you actually read Jinx high????

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-15-2002, 09:16 PM   #19
TinuvielChild
Padawan

cuz that one's out of print and i've been trying to get my hands on it for AGES

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-15-2002, 09:37 PM   #20
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Did I recommend that one too, opps. I haven't read it and you know I haven't cuz Ida given it to you.