Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-28-2003, 06:49 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Backup plan

Did the Fellowship have any kind of backup plan as to what to do about the Ring if Frodo had died during the quest? Also, wasn't it unwise for Frodo to go to Mordor with only Sam? The chances of them dying together were very great, and there would have been no one to continue the quest, and the Ring would have been taken by Gollum, or even Sauron. What do you think?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
1) Did the Fellowship have any kind of backup plan as to what to do about the Ring if Frodo had died during the quest? 2) Also, wasn't it unwise for Frodo to go to Mordor with only Sam? The chances of them dying together were very great, and there would have been no one to continue the quest, and the Ring would have been taken by Gollum, or even Sauron. 3) What do you think?
1) I would think that Gandalf would have had some backup plan.
2) I don't think so. He might not notice the tiny pattering of Hobbit-feet walking into peril. They could not wing by numbers. There were Armies they were facing. Also, the height of Aragorn would have been hard to hide, and of couse the "Elfery'' of Legolas. Also, who knows who might succumb to the Ring? I think that Sam was safest from this, for he was simplest, had little or no greed, and had a tremendous love for Frodo.
3) Now you know.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 06:55 PM   #3
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

I think if Frodo had died one of the other hobbits would have taken it, since they seem to be the only ones able to resist it. Probably not Pippin or Merry, because they'd throw it down a well or something, so Sam, I suppose. Well, he did take it; but I mean if Frodo had died before the Fellowship was broken.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:09 PM   #4
Ruinel
Banned

There was no backup plan. There was only faith in the ability of Frodo and Sam to do their part. (This is one of the failures of the movies, they do not show the true bravery of the Hobbits.)

It is easier to spot a larger company than to discover only two. If a tall Elf, a stout Dwarf, a Wizard, two additional Hobbits and a couple of Men had traveled with them, they would have been discovered for sure. Even omitting Merri, Pippin, Boromir and Gandalf, that leaves three additional people to hide when evading the enemy. Remember that Hobbits have an uncanny knack for hiding. And the plan was that they would get into the stronghold of the enemy, unseen, to destroy the One Ring. Two would be able to creep into Mordor much easier than a contingent of nine, or even five.

Actually, it really cracked me up when the Orcs that had taken Frodo were afraid of Sam, who they thought was an Elf warrior.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:16 PM   #5
Ararax
Elven Warrior

remember aragorn spent quite a bit of time in mordor, but also theres no other reason to take 4 hobbits unless you might need them, i think gandalf knew this
Old 06-28-2003, 09:41 PM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Hmm...I don't remember that...But anyway, Aragorn would've been there by himself, not with a batch of Hobbits an Elf a Dwarf and yer odd Wizard.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:14 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

But the original plan was not for Frodo and Sam to go to Mordor alone was it? That is just something that happened. The Fellowship's job was to aid Frodo in reaching Mount Doom to detroy the Ring.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:49 PM   #8
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
But the original plan was not for Frodo and Sam to go to Mordor alone was it? That is just something that happened. The Fellowship's job was to aid Frodo in reaching Mount Doom to detroy the Ring.
I think they found that the best "aid" they could give them was to divert the attention of sauron and his minions by causing disturbances elsewhere. Which is exactly what happened. And by the time Sauron realized what was going on it was too late...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 01:28 AM   #9
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I think they were just winging it the whole time. Even with Gandalf everything was spur of the moment. Everybody just had to handle things as they happened because there was no fortelling. Besides everyone basically knew that the quest relied solely on Frodo. If he screwed up then everything was lost.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 05:10 AM   #10
Silpion
Elven Warrior

I think the other members of the quest where there to aid Frodo in destroying the ring. I don't think there was a back-up plan. I think it was Frodo or nothing (maybe Sam could have taken up the ring if Frodo actually died during the journey). Whatever happened during the quest they just had to deal with it and keep going.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 02:35 PM   #11
olsonm
Elf Lord

Frodo and Sam's chances of dying were about the same alone or with what was left of the Fellowship. They certainly couldn't have helped him get into Mordor nor could they have defended him from the myriad of enemies to be found there. The decision to go it alone was Frodo's. The wise believed that Frodo had been appointed this task so they would trust his choice even if it seemed wrong (as shown by Aragorn in the book). And, as we know, it turned out to be the best way. The entire plan was a bit crazy and required some faith.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:22 PM   #12
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I think Frodo was very wise to try to go on to Mordor alone, and he showed great courage doing so. The Fellowship was crumbling. Frodo knew he could not trust all of them, and those he thought he could trust was too dear to him, and would probably not have been of much help anyway.

I doubt they had a second plan as a backup. At the council, after Frodo has volunteered to be the Ringbearer, Elrond says: "If I understand aright all that I have heard, I think that this task is appointed to you, Frodo; and that if you do not find a way, no one will."
Old 06-30-2003, 03:04 PM   #13
azalea
Long lost mooter

I don't think there was a backup plan, I think everyone trusted that Gandalf would guide the decision making process, and his method seemed to be that choices are best made when they are presented, and not beforehand. However, I do think Gandalf must have had the thought in his mind at certain points, for instance when Frodo was "mortally wounded" in Moria -- if Bilbo hadn't given him the mithril mail, then Frodo would have died (presumably). Who would have been chosen as the bearer? And who would have made the choice, because I think they wouldn't have decided until they were out, by which time Gandalf was gone? I think it would have been a huge problem at that point because of Boromir.
An easier time would have been after the orc attack at Amon Hen, after Boromir was dead. If Frodo had been killed then, I wonder what would have happened, but it would have been easier to make a decision, because 1) there were fewer people to choose from, and 2) Boromir wouldn't have been adding his voice of dissent.
I would say that Merry would be a viable candidate, being the older of Frodo's two relatives present, the Ring would "pass" to him. Of course Sam would be a good choice, but I question whether he would be chosen. Hmm.
Of course, if Merry and Pippin were still taken, then it could only be one of four people, and I think Sam would have been the logical choice, but I think they would all have gone with him OR maybe just Aragorn would go w/ him, and Legolas and Gimli would go after M & P. I like that scenario.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:09 PM   #14
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I agree with everyone who has said "No backup plan". I don't remember one! I think "the plan" (as devised by Elrond) was that the intelligence and diversity of the fellowship members would (hopefully) enable them to make the wisest choices as the quest proceeded. There was the wisdom of Aragorn and Gandalf, the voice of elves, dwarves, men, and hobbits....and the guiding hand of fate in the "natural" (he was the one the ring ended up with, for reasons unknown) selection of Frodo as ringbearer. The stage was very well set, but the events would follow their own course.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:14 PM   #15
Ararax
Elven Warrior

also gandalf went into the necromancers dungeons alone and was not found out, but he couldnt ahve taken it he was to powerful, so was every non hobbit in the fellowship only gimli could have but gimli couldnt have destroyed it the greed would ahve gotten him jsut as it ahd the other dwarves.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:15 AM   #16
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

The plan in case Frodo fails: put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:35 AM   #17
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Strider

Even if someone else was with them it wouldn't make any difference. Frodo was the only person who could resist the ring long enough to have it destroyed.
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:39 AM   #18
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

werent the members of the Fellowship allowed to leave at any time. The only one that had to destroy it was Frodo, so i am guessing there was no back up plan

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:52 AM   #19
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Idealistically i would have Aragorn accompany Frodo into Mordor, Aragorn was the greatest traveller of the age had ventured into Mordor, wouldnt have had to place any trust into Smeagol and in the very odd chance they were spotted, he could battle his way through... yet this couldnt work for a number of reasons, 1. as IR said the diversion was very much needed. 2. the Hobbits went less noticed than Aragorn could have and 3. There was a battle to be won and destroying a ring wasnt going to save Gondor the battle pig that is Aragorn was
Old 07-01-2003, 02:18 PM   #20
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Strider

Ah, you make a good point. But if Aragorn would keep Gollum away the ring may have never been destroyed, because Frodo himself did not destroy it. In fact at the end he was just gonna keep it, the only reason it was destroyed is because both Frodo and Gollum were greedy and wanted to keep it.
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote