Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2002, 06:54 PM   #1
Scarfair
Hobbit

part II

Suddenly the Elf's eyes went wide as he stared into the darkness. Estren was about to comment, perhaps to question further, but the woodelf stopped him with a raised hand. 'Hold!', he hissed, 'The air above us has become treacherous!'

Now the rest of the party resting about the fire heard the ominous sound of wings, thousands of them!

'Ravens!' Jaden cried, 'Massing above us! Get under the boughs!'

Estren and Lodryn saw a terrible beast flocking above the snowline, a dark promise of sharp beaks and rending claws filling their vison, until even their eyes would be scratched out. They made to grab the Lady and take her under the heavy boughs of the trees around, but she fought them, her concern for her horse mastering her. She ran to the dapple, flashing her greatblade and cutting the reins from the tree the horse was tethered to. 'Fly!, my beauty! FLEE!' she shouted, above the sound of storm and foe.

The horse darted out of the wood, running like a spirit across the snow. A handful of dark birds followed the steed, and were outpaced.

The Lady turned and was grabbed by the Rangers, all of them diving under the boughs as the rauccous mass of ravens hit the camp. Only Jaden stood before the attack, and Estren knew the darkbirds would kill them all unless the Elf had some trick up his sleeve...

Last edited by Scarfair : 01-18-2002 at 07:02 PM.
Scarfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 08:18 PM   #2
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

Lodryn cursed under his breath - the fire made them easier to find than would have broad daylight. A flock of raven at night was a formidable adversary, but this was more than a mere flock – a regiment more like. They dove relentlessly with unnerving accuracy. Pulling his hood up and wrapping his cloak tightly, he waved the others past into a thicket that appeared to offer more protection that the glade-clearing.

The ravens pecked and clawed ferociously and sought any exposed flesh or thin clothing. The Lady swatted away one with a leather gauntlet as it swooped for her eye. With a dejected squawk, it recovered and dove again. Estren who was behind, had grabbed a stick thick as a man’s arm and smote the avian assailant, snapping its neck before it could find its tender prize.

“At the hands of these beaks and claws we should wish the wargs had taken limbs at a time and been done with us!” Lodryn growled as the last crawled past him into the bracken.

Jaden, who brought up the rear, wielded a flaming log from the fire which proved the most effective at keeping the birds at bay. They whirled about the elf in dizzying patterns, attempting to bewilder and confuse while others bore down viciously in attack. Then, in a clear, ringing voice, he shouted a Sindarin phrase that the others knew not, though Lodryn and Estren marked the name Aiwendil – Radagast the Brown.

At this, the birds’ shrieking seemed to increase for a terrible moment, and the others covered their ears such was the clamour. Though now they quailed, and fell back. Their circles became lazy, and their cries less fierce, and they stopped attacking altogether. Soon, in groups or one by one, they peeled off their offensive formations and took to the night sky, only a fading errant caw to be heard.

Silence was deafening in the hollow, the wind had fallen to a whisper, and stars were now seen sparkling kindly down on them. An Evil dream the night now seemed, for the faintest light of morning was to be seen in the east.

Jaden now faced the curious looks of the group who had emerged from the underbrush, dabbing at their cuts and scrapes. “’Twas an evil veil that hung over their minds. I reminded them of their true master and that their conduct was most unbecoming.”
Old 01-19-2002, 07:38 PM   #3
Lady Midnight
Elven Warrior

Location: only after 11pm and in an altered state of conciousness
Seeing the ravens gone Caelan whistled a few soft notes and the dapple appeared at her side. She stroked the horse's nose gently, glad that she was unharmed and murmured to her in some obscure dialect. Then she turned to the others:

"I have some herbs that will aid these cuts. Come let them be tended to."

From one of the saddlebags she took a small pouch of dried, sweet-smelling leaves and a small phial of water. She then proceeded to make a wash to treat their injuries with. It stung a little but Caelan was knowledgeable in these matters and had an air of confidence that told the party that she knew what she was doing.

When that was done she turned to Jaden and smiled:

"So I am indebted to you once more then? This is getting to be a habit!"
Certainly the Elves were an intriguing people.
Lady Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 03:22 PM   #4
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

I posted these posts on Recurrent thes lets continue on from there. Lelondil,I'm afraid I missed your introduction when did you come in?
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote