Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-22-2002, 08:38 PM   #1
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Frodo Age Question

On the thread "Quick Age Question" or something they asked when the hobbit's bdays were... and I'm too lazy to look this up and it may have been mentioned on that thread (i didn't read it all) but how old was frodo when he set out on his quest/or his bday in the beginning? I somehow remember both 50 and 33, 33 being his coming of age and 50 being when bilbo set out... was he possibly turning 33 in the beginning and was 50 when he first set out?

-~*Sminty*~-<dazed/confused/tired/regretful
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:51 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes, that's just it. In A Long Expected Party Frodo is turning 33, but when the journey starts in Three Is Company he's 50, or 51 (though of course he still looked 33).
Old 08-22-2002, 09:06 PM   #3
Sminty_Smeagol

All right! I haven't read LOTR in nearly a year... I'm an awfully slow reader, and am right now beginning to plow through the histories of middle earth (I can't believe I wasted nearly half a year reading the Silmarillion and 3/4 the time I was spaced out not concentrating on what I was reading!), and once I get halfway through the Histories I will probably re-read LOTR, the hobbit and the silm (which prolly won't be for like 4 years) because I guess for a 13 year old like me, especially one who is not a wonderful reader like many of the 13 year olds you may fing on here, you just have to keep on re-reading Tolkien's works as I atleast (and know a few others with this trouble) have difficulties thinking about what I am reading (esp. in the Silm! totally new reading style).

Enough with my off-topicness. I am glad I could dig that out of my memory. I really must re-read the books since the movie came back... must regain original perspective!

Frodo still looked 33 when he was 50 because the ring was in his posession, right? If I have one bugger in FOTR film is the inapparent time passage... it seems as though Gandalf rode to <insert name of city here> in one day, ran downstairs, read up on the ring, and in 4 hours was back again. When in the book he took what, 17 years? and he had all sorts of side adventures... I hope they do better with this in TTT and ROTK.

-~*Sminty*~-
Old 08-23-2002, 03:43 AM   #4
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Frodo still looked 33 when he was 50 because the ring was in his posession, right?
Right. Likewise at 111, Bilbo still looked 50.

The city you're thinking of is Minas Tirith. I think in the movie it's referred to only as the "white city".

You're right about the time-passage in the movie. The whole film seems to rush by pretty fast, when it's all over. Four days in Mória sure didn't feel like four days. Of course, one can still imagine that Gandalf took as long as he did in the books, it's not made clear, but a quick journey is certainly the impression made.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:37 AM   #5
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Having just views the movie yesterday, "the white city" is that of Gondor. But that's a realm. Heck, on Vulcan everything's red.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:32 PM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I always thought by "white city" they meant "Minas Tirith".
Old 08-24-2002, 08:40 PM   #7
Sminty_Smeagol

Ok... is minas tirith in gondor?
Old 08-24-2002, 09:11 PM   #8
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

It's on Tol Sirion, that's for sure.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 10:28 PM   #9
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I happen to have the Unfinished Tales here, with its handy index:
There are 2 places called Minas Tirith: 1 is the Tower of Watch built by Finrod Felagund on Tol Sirion, an island in the river in the Pass of Sirion (later called Tol-in-Gaurhoth, Isle of Werewolves!)

2 is Denethor's city, capitol of Gondor, the southern realm of the Numenoreans; Minas Tirith was originally Minas Anor, but when orcs took over Minas Ithil and turned it into Minas Morgul, the Gondorians changed Minas Anor to Minas Tirith.

So the white city is Minas Tirith, which is in Gondor. Gandalf went there because Isildur's writings were there, he went there before getting killed in the river (if I recall correctly.)
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 02:52 AM   #10
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I think Brendan (CBG) was trying to cause havoc and confusion. He knows very well that there are two Towers of Guard.

Bad Ent, bad.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:51 AM   #11
Sminty_Smeagol

Ok good...

Quote:
Originally posted by Entlover
So the white city is Minas Tirith, which is in Gondor. Gandalf went there because Isildur's writings were there, he went there before getting killed in the river (if I recall correctly.)
Gandalf got killed in the river? What? *gives you strange looks*

Anyway, good thing I atleast remembered that The White City is in Gondor. I really need to re-read the books but I'm too lazy lol- the first time they took me 3 months to read all three! ...And one week I got like half way through FOTR... but then stopped...

I feel so bad not re-reading them because everybody like, re-reads them once a year on here!
Somebody reassure me I'm an obsessed fan....
-~*Sminty*~-

PS-

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 08-25-2002 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:49 AM   #12
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

OK, Minas Tirith is the White City, the capitol of the realm of Gondor.
It's built on seven levels.
And that's as much information as I dare research today.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:25 PM   #13
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Gandalf got killed in the river? What? *gives you strange looks*
Entlover meant to say (and did say) that Isildur was killed in the river (the Great River, Anduin).
Old 08-26-2002, 08:30 AM   #14
Sminty_Smeagol

ROFLMAO... it sounded like they said Gandalf died in the river...

-~*Sminty*~-
Old 08-27-2002, 11:37 AM   #15
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol

Frodo still looked 33 when he was 50 because the ring was in his posession, right? If I have one bugger in FOTR film is the inapparent time passage... it seems as though Gandalf rode to <insert name of city here> in one day, ran downstairs, read up on the ring, and in 4 hours was back again. When in the book he took what, 17 years? and he had all sorts of side adventures... I hope they do better with this in TTT and ROTK.

-~*Sminty*~-
Well, you have to give the people who made the movie a break...it was a three hour movie....much longer and lots of people wouldn't want to go. I do agree with you though, a little bit more perspective of the time would be nice...I hate to say this, but in Hollywood its true....in a movie like Lord of the Rings, a 21-year-old hobbit who looks like Elijah Wood is better than a 50-year-old-hobbit. I thought a 50 year old hobbit was fine, but I'm sure some people went to see the movie because Elijah Wood was in it. Sorry I sort of went of topic....and off-forum.
Rosie
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 08:48 PM   #16
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

yes, even though there was a book mistake there! YES! A BOOK MISTAKE! ONE OF THE ONLY ONES, NOT ONLY PJ MAKES LOTR MISTAKES! On Frodo's 50th b-day something happens (don't fill like seeing axsacly what it was in the book) and then about 17 years later, Frodo turns 50???

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 09:20 PM   #17
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
What?
Frodo was turned thirty-three the day Bilbo disappeared. Bilbo was fifty when he started his first adventure (as told in "The Hobbit"). Tolkien never says Frodo is fifty, and then that he is still fifty seventeen years later.

Last edited by Starr Polish : 08-28-2002 at 09:21 PM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 02:22 PM   #18
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I'm of to check the book, I remember reading it, getting confused, and rereading it about 5 times untill I desided that it was a mistake, but I guess that you wont proof, so I'll post again later, I'm of to look it up in the book, any one ceer to joun me?

I will return...

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 05:53 PM   #19
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Starr Polish is right. Frodo was 33 at Bilbo's b-day party.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 09:10 AM   #20
entss89
lord of the ents

Treebeard okey

okey so first time hes 33 then he gos to be 50 or 51 but still looks the same!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote