Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-22-2003, 10:59 PM   #1
legolas7410
Hobbit

Strider helmsdeep

what do you people think of the elfs comming in the movie(the tt)to helmsdeep to help rohan?? do you think they should of stuck to the book?? if they stuck to the book how do you think the scene should of gone??(please move to movie forum i was in the wrong forum)
and many more

canada is the greatest country in the world.

Last edited by legolas7410 : 02-22-2003 at 11:07 PM.
legolas7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 11:29 PM   #2
Celebriel
Elven Warrior

I do not like how the writers did not stay true to the books, but the scene was fine anyway. Poor Haldir. I believe the appearance of the elves was to add hope to the battle. If there were just the people of Rohan, the fight would seem very one-sided.

I also think the addition of elves helped visualize the mortality of the elves that had not been explored in the Fellowship.

- Celebriel
Celebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:15 AM   #3
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

The scene was awesome, and i think it was so that the victory did not seem fake. Also, the women and children went to Helms Deep, but in the book Eowyn was asked to watch over the people by Theoden

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:37 AM   #4
legolas_the_great
Hobbit

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebriel
I do not like how the writers did not stay true to the books, but the scene was fine anyway. Poor Haldir. I believe the appearance of the elves was to add hope to the battle. If there were just the people of Rohan, the fight would seem very one-sided.

I also think the addition of elves helped visualize the mortality of the elves that had not been explored in the Fellowship.

- Celebriel
i agree but it was a good scene
good charlotte

>>--legolas-->
legolas_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:48 AM   #5
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i hated it when haldir died but also i dont think the elves should of come it just ruined it for me
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 02:27 AM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yes, that kinda invalidates the 'Last' Alliance of Men and Elves, doesn't it? Anyway, I believe there's already a topic on this.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:37 AM   #7
Aranwe
Enting

Quote:
The scene was awesome, and i think it was so that the victory did not seem fake
It wouldn't have been fake if they stuck to the book... Eomer and the Riders would have been there already, instead of arriving late after all the Elves were dead. In the movie there were only 300 men (before the elves arrive) vs the 10,000 uruks/wild men, but in the book there are just more Riders and Eomer there to begin with.
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:19 PM   #8
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebriel

- Celebriel
wait....what? WHy do you have my name. *grumbles*
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:50 PM   #9
Sween
im quite stupid

allthougyh i dont really have anything against the elves turning up at helms deep (hey elves are cool) it was one of those point in the story where you just didnt feel the need in them. there was nothing wrong with the battle as it reads in the books.

I think it deminished the people of Rohan who have a very capiable army which didnt seem to exist.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:00 PM   #10
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes, I think if the Orthanc division was given massive doses of steroids. The 'overkill" in that department called for "pulling a rabbit out of a hat" (elves) for the Rohan contingent. I would have prefered a good old fashioned battle with slower shots, less special effects and "real" fighting. Everything was overdone!
Old 02-24-2003, 08:29 PM   #11
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Lizra:

I agree with that. The shots were a little quick for my taste. Do you suppose that makes it easier to pull of the special effects and possible cut down on the graphic violence thing for the PG 13 rating? I don't know.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:44 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I don't know either! I very rarely see movies! I've thought the orcs were too hideous from the very start. Many have suggested this was because PJ had a background in horror movies (or whatever you call those things! ) And he was just doing his thing. The scarier the orcs (uruks) get, the more superhuman the good guys have to be to conquer them. It starts to get out of control if you ask me! Comic books?
Old 02-25-2003, 02:43 PM   #13
Aranwe
Enting

Quote:
I think it deminished the people of Rohan who have a very capiable army which didnt seem to exist.
Not really, 2000 armoured men on horses is a pretty good army, plus the 300 guards/commoners from the city.

In the book it takes days for the king to ready the 6000 horsemen he can spare for Gondor, and as it happened in the movie there would be no time to prepare anyone outside of the city.

It doesn't really look like a huge place as it is shown, so most of the army wouldn't actually live within the walls.
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:07 PM   #14
legolas_the_great
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Yes, I think if the Orthanc division was given massive doses of steroids. The 'overkill" in that department called for "pulling a rabbit out of a hat" (elves) for the Rohan contingent. I would have prefered a good old fashioned battle with slower shots, less special effects and "real" fighting. Everything was overdone!
the only reason they won in the book was because orks are stupid!
good charlotte

>>--legolas-->
legolas_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:10 PM   #15
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Helm's Deep?

What did Peter Jackson do to Helm's Deep? Elves? What? Bad!

What do you all think?
Old 04-07-2003, 11:31 PM   #16
Gwaimir Windgem

I think this could easily go in the topic up top about the Two Towers. But of course, I may very well be wrong. We'll have to wait to see what the admins say.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-07-2003, 11:34 PM   #17
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

In the context of the film, I didn't mind the change regarding the Elves.

I would really like to elaborate on my reasoning here but it would probably take up a lot of time and space that I don't really have right now. So I'll just do a point-form summary of some things to consider... think of it as the Cliff Notes for my response.

- Elves were already introduced and familiar to the audience - the Dunedain, on the other hand, were not... suitable replacement follows

- Developing Elrond as a character, and his sense of responsibility regarding the fate of Middle-Earth even if the Elves are leaving anyway

- A whole bunch of philosophical drivel about moral categorical imperatives and thematic implications I won't touch unless specifically asked

- The death of the otherwise immortal Elves in battle as symbolic of the ultimate mortality of Middle-Earth and the fading of the Elves

- Most of the Elvish involvement in the War of the Ring is in the background, especially with the defence of Lothlorien and such - in film, relegating action to the background would pose questions about the Elves' suspicious absence from foreground events
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:50 PM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem

I take it the admins think this topic is fine as a stand-alone.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-07-2003, 11:59 PM   #19
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

My personal judgment as an admin is that this is enough of a specific issue that this forum gives it plenty of room to move. Given the intentions of the general reaction thread to The Two Towers when it was created, and how it continues to be used today, that's more for holistic judgments, reflections and discussion of the film as a whole. The handling of Helm's Deep in the film is a topic within a narrower framework.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:05 AM   #20
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

It may have made for a good portion of the movie, but the Battle of Helm's Deep would have been just as good without elves. Better, because it follows the book. It twists Tolkien's work, for no reason at all. It doesn't attract people to the theatres or make more money. In fact, it probably costed more for all the extra actors and props and such. I think it's just blasphemy.