Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-14-2002, 05:54 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

is love NECESSARY for a good relationship?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 06:04 AM   #2
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I would be the wrong person to ask.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 06:39 AM   #3
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

i used to think that love was necessary but

i'm in the BEST dating situation i've ever experienced and neither I or the lady is in love. everthing is just SMOOTH it ALMOST faery tale like in the way we click

there is always so much emotional drama with love.

its nice to have a relationship with such compatiablity without the emotional dreggs

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 10:06 AM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

How good do you want it? If no love is involved, the relationship will eventually fizzel out, out of boredom on someone's part. (I think) You gotta watch that love thing tho, It's very sneaky and will creep up on someone before they know it!!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 12:02 PM   #5
Elvet
Elven Warrior

No, but I think respect is.
Old 07-14-2002, 01:26 PM   #6
Faramir
Elven Warrior

AE, you've been kinda starting a lot of wierd threads lately. Men who cry, all that stuff. Maybe you should give it a rest.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!

Last edited by Faramir : 07-14-2002 at 01:52 PM.
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 01:44 PM   #7
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
AE, you've been kinda starting a lot of dumb threads lately. Men who cry, all that stuff. Maybe you should give it a rest
Theres no rule on how many topical threads you can create. Also whats so 'dumb' about the question of Love in a relationship?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 01:52 PM   #8
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Just that Afro-Elf as been doing some wierd threads lately. Maybe not dumb, but wierd.
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 03:53 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Faramir
Just that Afro-Elf as been doing some wierd threads lately. Maybe not dumb, but wierd.
Faramir, who are you to dictate what is weird? Last time I checked, there was no rule as to what kind of threads we are allowed to start, and if anyone has a right to close or complain about thread topics, then it's the admins or mods. If you don't like it jesus-boy, then move along, nothing to see here.

Now: back on topic.

No, I don't think love is a necessary component of a good relationship - but trust, and respect are. And if you have those two, and just happen to be sexually compatible... well, who needs love? (Which is, after all, nothing more than a hormonal reaction anyway.)
Old 07-14-2002, 04:08 PM   #10
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

you lost me on the love is just a hormonal reaction. Exactly what do you mean there?
Old 07-14-2002, 04:11 PM   #11
olsonm
Elf Lord

Re: is love NECESSARY for a good relationship?

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Depends on what you mean by love and good. People can answer it for themselves, but I don't know if any one answer could suit all.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:52 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
you lost me on the love is just a hormonal reaction. Exactly what do you mean there?
Oh, I was just talking about hominid evolution really - and how small the component of "love" is in the grand scheme of things. Humans have placed such an importance upon this particular aspect of a relationship, but it is only a relatively new thing in terms of social evolution. (Biologically, it's probably been around a bit longer, but our social development - that is our dependency on these hormones to "gel" our relationship probably only started being utilised around the 35,000BP (years before present) mark.) I hope this explains further what I meant to say, Lizra.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 07-14-2002 at 04:55 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 06:46 PM   #13
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, not really, I guess I've got my "dense cap" on! Hormones brings thoughts of chemical reactions to my mind. Love seems to be a complex psychological development. I wonder if higher evolved animals don't feel, "love", tho man/ woman love probably is our recent developement. Of course some species are monogomous, do they love???. I agree with you on this thread Olsonm. AE, if you're happy, that's cool.

Last edited by Lizra : 07-15-2002 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:10 AM   #14
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Respect & trust neutralize love.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 12:39 PM   #15
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Neutralize? What do you mean? I'm starting to feel like Mrs. Romantic here!
Old 07-15-2002, 05:31 PM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yes.

However, you have an excellent point, in that you can have a relationship where you are not 'in love'. Because there is a difference.

Being 'in love' involves mainly hormones and emotions. So it's not likely to create a lasting relationship.

Real love (I use it in a christian sense) is a state of will. It involves a decision and a level of commitment to the relationship.

Likewise, real love is selfless, while the common 'in love' motif is often selfish and self serving.

Indeed... Love (in a christian sense) always involves trust and respect, and a desire to do right by the other party (or parties) involved. And it does have a tendancy to negate 'being in love'. So insofar as that goes I side with you ladies...
Old 07-15-2002, 07:36 PM   #17
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Neutralize? What do you mean? I'm starting to feel like Mrs. Romantic here!
Neutralize, as in, make it inadequate and unneeded. With respect and trust, love in any term or meaning does not hold any bearing. I can care, respect, and trust someone and have a healthy relationship with them. Love is unnecessary then.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:04 PM   #18
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I see. I have a different idea of a good realtionship. I guess he (AE) means a relationship with a member of the opposite sex, (or whatever!), I like a little love to grow in mine. Just trust and respect make for a good friendship. Maybe that's the type of relationship he means? The "love" part does put you on an emotional roller coaster, but sometimes it's just unavoidable!
Old 07-15-2002, 08:08 PM   #19
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I'd like an attachment with someone that didn't include distrust, jealousy, etc. because I had extremely strong feelings for them. That's just scary. I'd like a calm, soothing relationship. One that if, things changed, you don't have an emotional breakdown for 6 months to a year but realize how much they changed your life.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:14 PM   #20
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

You're right, strong feelings are scary! It's funny though, feelings seem to come up from some area in my brain that has nothing to do with what I'm thinking. Strong feelings just bubble up and they're there! Scary, scary!