Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2002, 10:56 AM   #1
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Sam Gamgee Helm's Deep

It seems to me in TTT that Helm's Deep is quite a vast setting. At one point they are fighting here, and then two seconds later they are fighting somewhere else. I'm just totally confuzed on what is happening here.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:56 PM   #2
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

well, i cannot draw you a map, but i think that if you read it carefully you'll get things clear. first time i read it i had the same impression of being lost, and i think it's normal. Perhaps Tolkien made it on pupose: the battle takes place during a rainy night so the lack of exhaustive descriptions contribute to make us feel the confussion of the battle. the same, i think, happens in the passing of Moria.

i a remember it right, i believe that before Helm's deep there is a fortress (a "castle"): the Hornburg. From this fortress part a great wall that closes the dale. the battle takes place both in the "castle" and in the wall. there's a door that leads from the "castle" to the wall but the wall can also be climbed up from the rear.

during the battle Aragorn with Eomer make are forced to go out of the "castle" and come down before the wall because orcs are going to blow it away.

... well perhaps i've only confussed you more because i cannot remember things perfectly now

BTW, last time i read it, i at last made myself a clear idea of the way the Company took in Moria
Old 06-27-2002, 04:44 PM   #3
The Warden of the Keys
Hobbit

Helm's Deep was the valley cut by the Deeping Stream and stretched from the caves of Anglarond to the Hornrock. At the point where the Deeping Stream left the valley, the Deeping Wall had been constructed between the Hornrock and the southern cliffs to enclose the valley (passing over the Deeping Stream which flowed out into the Deeping Coomb). Atop the Hornrock was built the Hornburg.

Theoden's troops manned the Deeping Wall and the 'Burg' (along with the remnants of the Erkenbrand's men of Westfold).

Hope this helps.
The Warden of the Keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 07:20 PM   #4
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Sam Gamgee

Thanks you guys. That helped a lot (especially Fat Middle! ) Moria I think didn't confuze me that much. It actually made sense. I think that I'm going to re-read the series soon. Maybe I'll get it better the next time. Actually, I haven't even finished reading ROTK the first time. I'm on "The Seige of Gondor" and the
Faramir just got hit by the arrow. Thanks a lot though you guyz.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:18 PM   #5
FrodoBagginsOTS
Sapling

Sam Gamgee

hey sam....Helm's Deep's cool. Never read it yo! check ya l8r alligator!
FrodoBagginsOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 06:41 PM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

i thought helms deep was really confusing. oh my gosh. when i reread it it was a little clearer. but it is still confusing. and guess what? this is my hundredth post! and on a topic i dont like! i didnt like that chapter very much! how ironic! oh well. i liked the thing between gimli and legolas though... yay! hundredth post for me!
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 07:21 PM   #7
nazgul prince
Enting

Nazgul

Hey thanks fat middle i was lost on that chapter too.I read it three times to and it just got more confusing.Now i can pitcher it.
nazgul prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 06:51 PM   #8
Dain
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil

Helm's Deep
The huge fortified gorge in the White Mountains in the Westfold of Rohan was called Helm's Deep. Named after the Rohirrim king Helm Hammerhand, Helm's Deep and Dunharrow were Rohan's two major places of refuge during time of war. Helm's Deep referred to the entire fortified system which included the gorge, the Deeping Wall built across the gorge, the fortress of Hornburg, the cavern refuge known as Aglarond(the glittering caves) and the Deeping stream the flowed from the gorge.
Dain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 10:57 PM   #9
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I had to read TTT three times to really get that chapter in terms of visualizing locations. It creates in some ways, the feeling of battle.