Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2001, 06:54 PM   #1
olorin7
Hobbit

balrog in the movie

i am not a warrior for either side, i was just wondering: does the balrog in the movie have wings or not? also what color is it going to be?
olorin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 07:33 PM   #2
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

The Balrog in the Adaptation of the 'Lord of the Rings' does has wings, its a John Howe Balrog. John Howe is a famous Tolkien Artist and was hired along with Alan Lee as a concept artist. Though, in the movie, it will be concealed with fire, ash and shadows so it will be difficult to see the wings. The color is a hot red which changes constantly as the Balrog moves, breathes, erupts and solidises.

Note that this movie is Peter Jacksons adaptation, not an offical Tolkien word-for-word movie. Anything you see in the movie is not canon, so the Balrog wings in the movie are not the final say on the matter, it doesn't have any real say really. I'm worried that when non-fans see the movie, they will automatically assume that what they see is offical and 'normal'. And if they read the book, they will be disapointed or surprised to see Glorfindel at the fords or Merry and Pippins real entrance to the journey. This is sort of Ironic, there are now movie editions of the "Lord of the Rings" novel, which annoys me slightly.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 08:41 PM   #3
olorin7
Hobbit

movie editions of lord of the rings? who are they writing as the author? i sure hope it isn't tolkien. changing the story for the movie is one thing, but to change the words in the book is a totally different matter.
olorin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:01 AM   #4
Bradistic
Hobbit

The only thing worse than a book based on a movie, is a book based on a movie that is itself based on a book. I can't believe that people are actually going to read about Arwen at the fords! How can such an abomination be possible? Are you sure that they really have movie versions of LOTR, or just printings that have pictures of the movie on the cover? Another horrible travesty I know of is a book based on a computer game (Yes, they actually have a Starcraft novel).
Bradistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:16 PM   #5
Darth Tater
The man

There are copies of LOTR with movie pics on the cover, but what's inside is the same. There is also a visual guide that is not a retelling of the story, but is actually about making the film. New Line isn't that stoopid.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 08:41 AM   #6
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Though the book clearly states that the balrog has wings, I beleive that it was more of an absence of form than a true form. All the maiar were given form to come to the middle earth. The FotR says the balrog appeared to have a man inside it. I think that its wings, etc. are more of the absence of matter and the formation of evil... (Did I make that clear, I confused myself)
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 09:27 AM   #7
Lightice
Elven Warrior

It was just man shaped, but a lot bigger. And yes, at least on my opinion it had wings, although some have been arguing, that they were only shadows that looked like wings.
I've heard from one guy, whos seen the movie already (hes a reporter), that it's impossible to say in movie, if it has wings or not. That was a good idea from Jackson.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 12:32 PM   #8
sracer
Hobbit

Nazgul

The Balrog did not have wings. The first time I read LOTR, I thought that too, but reading carefully, "..His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings." (emphasis mine)

As an aside, I happen to like Bakshi's depiction of the Balrog, and the scenes in Moria are my favorite part of the film.

[edit: just wanted to clarify that I was talking about the book, and that others may be talking about the movie.]

Last edited by sracer : 12-14-2001 at 12:37 PM.
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 12:36 PM   #9
sracer
Hobbit

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
I'm worried that when non-fans see the movie, they will automatically assume that what they see is offical and 'normal'. And if they read the book, they will be disapointed or surprised to see Glorfindel at the fords or Merry and Pippins real entrance to the journey. This is sort of Ironic, there are now movie editions of the "Lord of the Rings" novel, which annoys me slightly.
People who read the book after watching the film will not be disappointed in the book. They will think, "wow, I wish that they could've put this other stuff in the film!" That was my reaction after reading Jurassic Park (after I saw the film).

As for the movie editions of the novel, are you sure about that or are you judging the proverbial book by its cover?
Old 12-14-2001, 12:52 PM   #10
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by sracer
The Balrog did not have wings. The first time I read LOTR, I thought that too, but reading carefully, "..His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings." (emphasis mine)

As an aside, I happen to like Bakshi's depiction of the Balrog, and the scenes in Moria are my favorite part of the film.

[edit: just wanted to clarify that I was talking about the book, and that others may be talking about the movie.]
I don't wish to start a fight about this. I know that too, but I'm still for the wings. Do you think, that balrogs RAN from Morgoths old home (can't remember if it was Angband or Utumnon) to help him against Ungoliant? It was a bit long way...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 01:10 PM   #11
sracer
Hobbit

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightice

I don't wish to start a fight about this. I know that too, but I'm still for the wings. Do you think, that balrogs RAN from Morgoths old home (can't remember if it was Angband or Utumnon) to help him against Ungoliant? It was a bit long way...
As I said, I like my balrog with wings too. But that is NOT what Tolkien wrote! If you want them to have wings, purple propellers and polka-dotted slinky for a tail, that's fine, but you'll have a tough time convincing others that it was Tolkien's intention.

As for balrogs running, perhaps...perhaps not. The Nazgul were confined in the modes of transportation that they used.
Old 12-14-2001, 01:23 PM   #12
Darth Tater
The man

Anyone who pays attention will notice that about a paragraph later it clearly states that he does have wings. But... this is not the place, we've done this debate to death, no wing debate.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:20 PM   #13
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
We've done this debate to death, no wing debate.
Oh, please darth? Pretty please?

]: )

Last edited by Wayfarer : 12-14-2001 at 03:21 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 03:42 PM   #14
Darth Tater
The man

No, and get that cow out of my face
Old 12-14-2001, 04:02 PM   #15
Ben
Retired Ent

I have seen the movie, so... spoilers I guess.

It looked to me like his "wings" were just smoke and shadow, and weren't there the whole time, so I guess it was a compromise .

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 04:11 PM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder
It looked to me like his "wings" were just smoke and shadow.
Correct me if I'm wrong... but wasn't the entire balrog just fire and shadow? I would surmise, therefore, that in the instance that he did have winges, they would also be fire and shadow.

Right?
Old 12-14-2001, 04:14 PM   #17
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

well... to elucidate (and get in a quick spam)...

The Balrog was Spirit manifesting in a form closely resembling a man composed of Fire and Shadow.
Old 12-14-2001, 05:03 PM   #18
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Two quotes make refrence to wings...

Quote:
His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings.
Quote:
The Balrog made no answer. The fire in it seemed to dire, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly on to the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall.
[/QUOTE]
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 10:23 PM   #19
Churl
Elven Warrior

Two things:

1) Let me echo the "Oh, God, not again!" sentiment regarding the wings/no-wings debate.

2) Does anyone know the real story about book tie-ins? I.e., please tell me that non-Tolkien novelizations of the movies aren't part of the marketing blitz. I agree with Bradistic: "The only thing worse than a book based on a movie, is a book based on a movie that is itself based on a book."
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 10:59 PM   #20
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

For crying out loud! Didn't anyone ask Tolkien the answer while he was still alive?

In my oppinion he wrote it ambiguously intentionaly, the cunning little hobbit that he was!
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote