Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2002, 02:19 PM   #1
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Broadway Musicals

I started a Les Miserables thread but this is for all musicals, especially Broadway.
(EG. An Andrew Lloyd Webber, Les Mis, Gilbert and Sullivan, Rogers and Hammerstein, West Side Story, etc.)
Old 10-11-2002, 08:34 PM   #2
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

Did you know that as of March 15th next year, les Mis will no longer be on broadway??? *sob* *sniffle*

MMmmmmm... musicals... I love musicals... Phantom, Les Mis, WSS, Fiddler, Chess, JCS...

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Can be found loitering at Fantasy Essentials or her livejournal...
Nazgûl Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 08:53 PM   #3
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

I've seen a few. Meet Me in St. Louis, Annie Get Your Gun, Beauty and the Beast, My Fair Lady, and Guys and Dolls on stage.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 03:27 PM   #4
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

I loved Beauty and the Beast and Fiddler on the Roof.

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 11:39 AM   #5
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Our Music and Theatre Class is going to see "My Fair Lady" in Stratford, Ontario. It's supposed to be awesome!
Old 10-15-2002, 12:12 PM   #6
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

shaw ends pygmalion with an epilogue. I never liked that, because then in the play you never see how it really ends. It is just cut off abruptly.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:46 PM   #7
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Aaah, I live for Broadway! My dream is to become an actress on Broadway for 2 reasons: 1) I love to sing and act, and what better way to combine the two? 2)I feel that there is a major lack of high-quality, clean entertainment today. By becoming an actress, I can help improve this. I know it'll be tough to do it and still remain a commited Christian, but if I don't do it, who will? And if God wants me to do it, He'll give me the strength I need.

Some of my faveorite musicals:

Sound of Music
Beauty and the Beast
Annie Get Your Gun
The Music Man

More later!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 07:48 PM   #8
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Take it from me, musical buffs:

Nothing - nothing - beats seeing My Fair Lady on Drury Lane in London... right across from Covent Gardens.

Wonderful production in a beautiful theatre, and in the perfect contextual location for it all. It's an experience.

I've also seen the touring Broadway productions making the circuit around Western Canada for the past couple years... Cats this year, Les Mis the year before, Beauty and the Beast before that. And then there's smaller productions like Alberta Theatre Projects' own production of Cabaret, Song and Dance and the like. When I was much younger I also saw The Sound of Music and The Wizard of Oz on stage. Have also caught The Phantom of the Opera (my mother's favourite) twice, once when I was about eight, and once recently in Her Majesty's Theatre in London, where it first opened.

I am a huge fan of musicals on film as well... I've never seen Chicago on stage, unfortunately, but the film is my most anticipated of the rest of the year other than The Two Towers.

What I really don't get are people who hate musicals. I think anybody that doesn't appreciate musicals just doesn't get it in the first place.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 05:58 PM   #9
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

I forgot about some of these! I loved My Fair Lady. I forgot to mention a few earlier. I've always liked Oklahoma, I don't really know why, but I have ever since I was really little. I also liked Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I'm not sure if that was ever actually on Broadway or not, but It's a good musical.

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 08:45 PM   #10
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
Our Music and Theatre Class is going to see "My Fair Lady" in Stratford, Ontario. It's supposed to be awesome!
that is so weird! my mom and i were thinking about doing the exact same thing! i love my fair lady. it's great. i have always wanted to go to stratford...
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 10:58 PM   #11
galadriel88

More musicals!

Oklahoma!
Annie
South Pacific
Bye Bye Birdie (gotta love that, my school is doing it and I'm in it!)
Fiddler on the Roof
My Fair Lady
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (if it was a play, it's a great movie!)
Fame (except for the cussing and innuendo)

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Old 10-16-2002, 11:41 PM   #12
Jadera
Elven Warrior

Musicals are great! I used to wish I could live my life as a musical. That would be interesting, people randomly bursting into song and perfectly coreographed (sp, sorry) dances.

Oklahoma was great, Annie, Annie Get Your Gun, Showboat, Cats, Beauty and the Beast, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat stand out to me.

My family used to go to the theatre a lot, but we don't go much anymore. I'd like to see Chicago, West Side Story, and Contact.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 12:16 PM   #13
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"Musicals are great! I used to wish I could live my life as a musical. That would be interesting, people randomly bursting into song and perfectly coreographed (sp, sorry) dances."
You echo my thoughts perfectly.

Hey, that sounds like a song. "Yooooou echo my thooooughts..." ahem
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 10-17-2002, 08:57 PM   #14
galadriel88

You know, I thought of that today! Sometimes I feel like I'm expecting someone to start singing to me any minute...

Old 10-18-2002, 07:56 AM   #15
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

It's quite amusing... 9 out of 10 times when someone says something, i follow it with a matching quote from a musical...

For example, today we were talking about fops and fopettes and i was thinking "The fop and the fopette, entwined in loves duet, although he may demur, he must have been with her!"

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Can be found loitering at Fantasy Essentials or her livejournal...
Nazgûl Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 12:11 PM   #16
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I DO break into spontaneous song sometimes! The dancing...well...
Old 10-18-2002, 01:08 PM   #17
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

On this site called Bored.com they have mad libs an one of them was called A New Broadway Show

So heres what I got!

A New Broadway Show
Come see the quick show cows are snaking about! Cabbages ! The story stars the main character Simon , played by George Clooney , who is a fast melon in search of ducks . On Simon 's journey through The Paris Opera House , Simon falls ugly in love with the new Chris , played by Finrod Felagund . Simon then runs into the chunky ear named Jacob , played by Elizabeth Taylor . The audience swims as Simon and Chris sing and dance across the stage. 3.14 salesmen join Chris on stage for the humongous song called Magenta Cheese . Toronto Sun says Zoinks! ! This show is jumping ! I give it 64 toes up ! Gouge speedily and buy YOUR tickets for Cabbages today!
Old 11-06-2002, 12:27 PM   #18
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
CAROL CHANNING IS SCARY!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2002, 12:44 AM   #19
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

OOH! I live for musicals, as well. Has anyone ever seen The Secret Garden as a musical?? I listen to the soundtrack for forever!!! I've never actually seen it, though. I've been in The Sound of Music, Cinderella, and The Wizard of Oz. (But not on Broadway...of course.) I get to go see the Broadway tour of The Lion King in Chicago next August. I cannot wait.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:54 PM   #20
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

You know, I would have thought that sooner or later, someone would do a musical of Harry Potter in some form.

I think I'll acquire the rights to it myself, and get cracking.