Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
Lenwë Lossëhelin
Sapling

Gandalf something i was wondering

if there's a Middle Earth...do you think there is a North Earth? or South, East, and West? hmm....i was just thinking about that one day while being bored in school. because thats what i do when im bored...i think about lord of the rings!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Not really.

The term 'middle earth' doesn't actually refer to the geographic 'middle of the earth' - the actual setting is in the north-westernmost corner of the world, so that wouldn't even make sense. 'Middle Earth' is just the term used to apply to the world of mortals in general, similar to Midgard of norse myth.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
Findegil
Elven Warrior

Soory, but I must disagree. Middle-Earth is not only what we see on the maps in "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Silmarillion". Middle-Earth is the name of that part of Arda that lies between Belegear and the Eastern See. Thus there is Valinor which we could name Western-Earth and the Land of the Sun which could be names Eastern-Earth.

Respectfully
Findegil
Old 12-14-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Funnily enough I've been wondering about that too once in a while. Not about a possible East- or West-earth, but more in the direction of: could there also be an Upper-earth or Nether-earth? In the norse myhtology there is.

Last edited by Earniel : 12-14-2005 at 11:40 AM. Reason: bad spelling *sigh* when will I learn?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil
Soory, but I must disagree. Middle-Earth is not only what we see on the maps in "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Silmarillion". Middle-Earth is the name of that part of Arda that lies between Belegear and the Eastern See. Thus there is Valinor which we could name Western-Earth and the Land of the Sun which could be names Eastern-Earth.

Respectfully
Findegil
I agree with this.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-14-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Funnily enough I've been wondering about that too once in a while. Not about a possible East- or West-earth, but more in the direction of: could there also be an Upper-earth or Nether-earth? In the norse myhtology there is.
I was wondering that as well... Is there any reason why this all took place in Middle Earth?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
Lenwë Lossëhelin
Sapling

i dont know...
and if Middle Earth is the realm of men....i wonder what upper earth would be? the realm of the Valar maybe? and nether earth could be the realm of morgoth...i dont know
Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenwë Lossëhelin
i dont know...
and if Middle Earth is the realm of men....i wonder what upper earth would be? the realm of the Valar maybe? and nether earth could be the realm of morgoth...i dont know
Fun thought.... I get to live with the Elves! Or go to sea with Legolas. *Dreamy eyed* lol
Old 12-16-2005, 08:02 PM   #9
Findegil
Elven Warrior

It took place in Middle-Earth (mainly, some things are reproted from beyonde the western sea) because that was the original habitation of the Elves and Men.

Respectfully
Findegil
Old 12-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #10
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

I think this thread... is dieing...... :'( I was wondering... I got nothing.... umm.... I must keep Lenwe's thread alive! *Hysterical* What- What- What- *Cries* Why do Dwarves and Elves hate each other? (I'm trying to help....)
Old 12-18-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

"Middle-Earth" is Tolkien's counterpart to the Norse "Midgard". Here's a link. From the source:
"Midgard is the realm of the humans in Norse mythology. Pictured as placed somewhere in the middle of Yggdrasil, Midgard is surrounded by a world of water or ocean, which is impassable. The ocean is inhabited by the great sea serpent Jormungand, who is so huge that he encircles the world entirely, grasping his own tail."
In Tolkien's original conception, the Earth (including the Undying Lands, etc.) was a Viking ship floating in the sea of the Void. Above it was the dome of the Stars. I don't have a quote with me right now...
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 12-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #12
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

There is a sort of "middle earth" concept in Hebrew (Judeo-Christian) mythology (term used here in the sociological sense), as well:

God said, "Let there be an expanse in the midst of the water, that it may separate water from water. God made the expanse and it separated the water which was below the expanse from the water which was above the expanse."

The "water which was above the expanse" suggests a vault or dome over the earth, which people couldn't reach, beyond which the Divine dwelt (somewhat analogous to Valinor, I suppose). It was still water, though - e.g., when Noah's flood came, "And the flood-gates of the sky broke open," i.e., the dome breached and the water above came tumbling down through the sky as heavy rain.

The expanse itself was the sky.

The area below the expanse eventually became "middle earth" where men and women live - "Let the water below the sky be gathered into one area, that the dry land may appear."

Since water flows down due to the effects of gravity, this would literally make the world of the Hebraic creation myth a 4-level world: (1) the water above the expanse; (2) the sky; (3) the dry land where people dwell ("middle earth"); and (4) the water below the expanse (the oceans/"deeps").
Old 12-20-2005, 11:42 AM   #13
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Somebody keep the thread going!!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #14
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

In order to keep a thread open, one must actually carry on a conversation with other interesrted parties within the context of the topic at hand of said thread. One has to answer or comment upon what another has said, you know, a conversation. Additionally, one cannot really consider a thread "dead" until it has received absolutely NO attention for more than a few weeks, not just a day or two. So, therte's no need to panic, silly goose! Welcome to Entmoot, BTW!

I always figured Middle-Earth was an extra planet within our solar system, like an invisible, very small living planet which is mostly water, with Middle Earth like a gi-normous island, and a couple other continent-like islands there too, that perhaps had not been explored by elves or men yet and maybe have aboriginal-type peoples on it or a race of talking, self-governed animals or something... anyway, it's too early in the morning to be thinking this much.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-20-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:57 PM   #15
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Tehe... I'm a silly goose..... Hehehehe. Very detailed responce. I might just be prone to over-reacting.... lol. Lenwe... do I over-react?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:35 PM   #16
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

if you read lost tales 1&2 (tolkien's first thoughts on his "world"), his idea was to introduce a new "fairy tale" or mythology into the world of british folklore... one unique to them, much like the norse have the eddas

some of the earliest tales actually involved travel from the british isles themselves... so, in a very rough sense, middle earth is europe in a much earlier time

his ideas changed a lot over time, and i don't think he ever intended a direct comparision... but he did base his ideas around this analogy, as opposed to just completely "making it up"
Old 12-21-2005, 10:12 PM   #17
Lenwë Lossëhelin
Sapling

yeah..i have read the book of lost tales 1 ...and i gave it to Merenwen (and yes you do over react by the way lol) i thought it was really good...and im wanting to get the second one. is it good?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:15 PM   #18
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

here's a thought, the entire map we see in the LotR is just the western tip of Middle Earth, just how big is it?
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
Old 12-23-2005, 12:25 PM   #19
Lenwë Lossëhelin
Sapling

yeah i've always wondered what was east of Mordor on the map...hmm..
Old 01-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #20
Merenwen Vardamir
Enting

Now can I panic about the thread being dead? I wish I knew what to put to start conversation again..... What do you guys think is going to happen in Harry Potter 7? (Or am I not allowed to ask about HP on a LOTR thread? O.O)
Closed Thread