Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2002, 04:01 PM   #1
coolismo
Enting

that Bolger v Lumpkin choice

OK who's your favourite Fatty? Fatty Bolger or Fatty Lumpkin. Lately I have definately been a Bolger man but on cold afternoons I verr more towards a fondness for Lumpkin. Bolger definately the braver and more fleet of foot and temper but Lumpkin more of a yang type I suppose. Says a lot about the person as to whom of the Fattys they prefer...
coolismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:00 PM   #2
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I'm more of a Fredegar Bolger fan. Little guy had some guts and kept his wits when the Nazgul hit the house at Crickhollow!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:13 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I've always been fond of the name Fatty Lumpkin. When my son was a baby going through that plump period, I used to call him that.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:20 PM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

How old is the lad now?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:27 PM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Almost twenty.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 07:58 AM   #6
coolismo
Enting

ye yes

i'm glad this a balanced thread. I wonder which of them would win in a fight. Would Bolger's natural smarts prevail or would Lumpkin go in for the early kill, overwhelming his opponent with spirited strength? My heart says Lumpkin but my head says Bolger.
coolismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:39 PM   #7
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Are we comparing a Hobbit and a Pony here? Rather odd...

Let me introduce my favorite fatty instead; Barliman Butterbur. I wonder if Tolkien modelled him on someone he did not like in the real world? He is IIRC the really only ridiculous guy in LotR.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 10:09 AM   #8
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

hey hey hey fatty lumpkin is not a pony. bill is a pony. lumpkin is the pony. not a horse person but i have to go with little fatty lumpkin he took care of the hobbitses ponys he did
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 04:09 PM   #9
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

Kirinki, Galdalf doesn't share your low opinion of Butterbur!
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote