Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-06-2004, 01:58 PM   #1
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

The 2004 Olympic Games

Does anyone else have really bad feelings about the Olympic games this year or is it just me? Seems like Greece is really scrambling just to get things finished facility wise let alone being on top of everything security wise which may actually be impossible. A successful major terrorist attack at an event like this could be worse then September 11. Although some say that they have more to fear from their own anarchists and underground rebels then they do from big time terrorists like al Quaeda who would be less focused on “crowd killing” (which would be seen as an attack on Greece) then pinpointed attacks on American or British tourists or athletes. But I don’t know…

Anyway figured Id start this thread up since the games are less then 100 days away now. Lets just all hope everything comes off ok and we can spend our time talking about events and gold medals and not casualties.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:11 PM   #2
Janny
The Blobbit

Yes, I read recently that each British athlete would be assigned their own security guard for 24 hour protection. Pretty big deal. Also these bombing, especially given the timing of 100 days to go, seem very threatening.
However, having said that, would there be any better opportunity to criticise terrorism if it were to strike the great emblem of peace and hope? *coughlosangelescoughmoscowcough* Cold war notwithstanding, it could still be used as a PR opportunity.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:33 PM   #3
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Written by Insidious RexDoes anyone else have really bad feelings about the Olympic games this year or is it just me?
I am optomistic that the Olympics will go smoothly (more or less).
I think that the Olympic events will run well.

I do not think that the Olympic planners will be able to complete all that they originally planned on building. The planners will probably scale back several of their plans or cancel some of them completely.

I hope that all goes well. I think the worst that will occur is that visitors may be inconvenienced in traveling around the city of Athens and between the different sporting venues.

Below are some article I found on the web regarding the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Greece.

The official website of the ATHENS 2004 Olympic and Paralympic Games

Athens' Post-9/11 Olympics Task

Athens Olympics terror fears

For Athens Olympics, it's a race to the finish.

Olympics preps down to the wire

Olympics: Athens Olympics plunges deeper into the red

Athens' Olympic race against time will go right to the wire

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

2004 Olympic Games - Athens

Hey all Olympic-loving mooters...

I was thinking about starting separate threads for Olympic Track & Field, Olympic Swimming - and seeing what else came up - but later decided to just start with one general thread.

So... general stuff: Can the Greeks pull it off OK? Will terrorism become an issue? What about the irony of Arafat calling for peace during the time of the Olympics? (since most think he was the one behind the terrorist kidnappings and killings of Israeli athletes 32 years ago - at the 1972 Munich Olympics).

Track & Field: Who's hot in the sprints? Middle-distance? Long distance? Jumps & Throws? Any decathlon fans out there? I used to follow it some, but don't even know who the top stars are these days...

Swimming: Will Ian Thorpe reassert himself in a big way? Or will the Phelps kid from the US be the big star? Will Phelps match or exceed Spitz's 7 golds from the '72 Games? Are Phelps and Thorpe slated to go head-to-head in any events (I don't even know)?

Other areas of Olympic interest to mooters...??

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

I'm not really interedted in sport,
but I thought I might as well be
just a little bit patriotic!!

Yay England!!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:20 AM   #6
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I really want to see the gymnastics (both womens and mens) so I hope that everything goes smoothly!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Re: 2004 Olympic Games - Athens

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil

I was thinking about starting separate threads for Olympic Track & Field, Olympic Swimming - and seeing what else came up - but later decided to just start with one general thread.

So... general stuff:
Can the Greeks pull it off OK?

I think that 95-100% of the venues will be completed and the people watching on tv will not be able to visably tell the difference, unless the anouncers bring it to attention of the audience.

If anything is not completed it will be related to the connections between the different venues and the landscaping.

Will terrorism become an issue?

Hopefully no. I think the security at the Olympics will be as good as the security for the NYC Republican Convention. IOW, Security will be as good as people can make it. However, there is always the chance for something wrong to happen.

What about the irony of Arafat calling for peace during the time of the Olympics? (since most think he was the one behind the terrorist kidnappings and killings of Israeli athletes 32 years ago - at the 1972 Munich Olympics).

If true, it is ironic. Perhaps he truely had a change of heart.

Track & Field:

Swimming:

I generally will watch whatever event is on at the time and if interesting, I will stick around.

I generally like the Winter Olympics more than the Summer Olympics.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 07-06-2004, 12:29 PM   #8
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

One word:

GYMNASTICS TIME BABY!!!!!!!

Okay make that three words.

Gymnastics ROCKS. Trust me you have no idea how hard that stuff is till you've taken it for a year or two .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:09 PM   #9
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
One word:

GYMNASTICS TIME BABY!!!!!!!

Okay make that three words.

Gymnastics ROCKS. Trust me you have no idea how hard that stuff is till you've taken it for a year or two .
I wish I had gotten into gymnastics unfotunately I c an't even do a cartwheel I had some friends who were in gymnastics and I believe you when you say it is hard!

I can't wait to watch the competitions! I hope the US team has another great year like in '96!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #10
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Didnt do a search eh Mr. Admin?

Old 07-06-2004, 01:29 PM   #11
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
1. Well... uh, no.

2. Just did one and didn't see it (didn't think I recalled one). Checked 'Olympics', 'Athens' and 'Greece'... Is there one out there? Can you bump it for me?

3. I'm not an admin... just a pathetic little ole moderator.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 07-06-2004, 01:32 PM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Um, IR, that's Mr. "super-mod" to you.

Yep, gymnastics, my favorite.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #13
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

mod, admin, us american whatever its called. Does he have the ability to... wait let me speek directly to val here... do YOU have that nifty combine spell ability as a um new modadmin or whatever? I just would hate to lose Mithranders excellent post from that old thread where he had all the security references. The link is http://www.entmoot.com/showthread.ph...=olympics+2004

Old 07-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #14
Valandil

Quote:
mod, admin, us american whatever its called. Does he have the ability to... wait let me speek directly to val here... do YOU have that nifty combine spell ability as a um new modadmin or whatever? I just would hate to lose Mithranders excellent post from that old thread where he had all the security references. The link is http://www.entmoot.com/showthread.ph...=olympics+2004
Dang... I shoulda tried 'Olympic' too!

Uh... I do have merging capabilities... but they're sort of... untried. I could make my best go of it, but... no promises man.

What say ye Entmooters? Is this the perfect opportunity to 'learn by doing'? Or do we request SGH's greater experience to set the matter to rights?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 07-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #15
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:

So... general stuff:
Can the Greeks pull it off OK?

I think that 95-100% of the venues will be completed and the people watching on tv will not be able to visably tell the difference, unless the anouncers bring it to attention of the audience.

If anything is not completed it will be related to the connections between the different venues and the landscaping.

Will terrorism become an issue?

Hopefully no. I think the security at the Olympics will be as good as the security for the NYC Republican Convention. IOW, Security will be as good as people can make it. However, there is always the chance for something wrong to happen.

What about the irony of Arafat calling for peace during the time of the Olympics? (since most think he was the one behind the terrorist kidnappings and killings of Israeli athletes 32 years ago - at the 1972 Munich Olympics).

If true, it is ironic. Perhaps he truely had a change of heart.

Track & Field:

Swimming:

I generally will watch whatever event is on at the time and if interesting, I will stick around.

I generally like the Winter Olympics more than the Summer Olympics.

Quote:
Insidious Rex,

I forgot about this thread. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 07-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Dang... I shoulda tried 'Olympic' too!

Uh... I do have merging capabilities... but they're sort of... untried. I could make my best go of it, but... no promises man.

What say ye Entmooters? Is this the perfect opportunity to 'learn by doing'? Or do we request SGH's greater experience to set the matter to rights?
Hey buddy, knock yourself out Go to the mod forum and I think it explains how to do it. I have only done it a few times. azalea is the pro at merging.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:31 PM   #17
Valandil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Hey buddy, knock yourself out Go to the mod forum and I think it explains how to do it. I have only done it a few times. azalea is the pro at merging.
MERGING!

Woo-hoo! Maybe now I can challenge Zales for the Gold in the Olympic Entmoot Merging event!!

Say... anyone up to starting some kind of zany Entmoot Olympics thread? Where's Jonathan???

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 07-08-2004, 01:36 AM   #18
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Olympics in Greece

Hey, let's talk about the Olympics!

*whistles innocently*

(let's start off with the thread-merging preliminaries! The clock is running! Who will merge this thread first with the other Olympic thread, and how long will it take them? Mooter sports fans are holding their breath in anticipation! Both SGH and Val are in Central Time (I think...) so who will get up earlier and check the GM forum? Azalea's the unknown - I don't remember what time zone she lives in ... she could beat them both! And then the Big Guy Himself might check in - he's in Eastern Time, 1 hour ahead of the others - will he swoop down from the east on his way to college and take the prize? And of course there's the intrepid Mr. K from down south - Southerners might talk slowly, but can they move fast? The race is on!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 07-08-2004 at 01:40 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:14 AM   #19
Valandil

merged!

Azalea is Eastern US (Fla). (EDIT: so's SGH... little known fact about Ohio)

I ALMOST just deleted this... let's don't keep adding more 'lympic threads, K? (naughty Rian!) *menacingly waves inflatable hammer of wrath*

Saw where the US Olympic Trials for Swimming started yesterday. Anybody see early results from the first few events? Has Michael Phelps started off well?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 07-08-2004, 01:42 PM   #20
Valandil

Just saw that Michael Phelps won his first event at the US Swim Trials... broke his own World Record in the 400 IM (100 meters each of butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle - in rapid succession). He owns the top three times in the event.

The guy is pretty amazing in the sport - as is Ian Thorpe of Australia. Both on par with the hardy Numenoreans of Hyarrostar... and nearly as tall!

Swimming could be quite exciting to watch at Athens. I think Phelps is capable of equalling / exceeding Spitz's medal record - but not sure what he's inclined to do. The hardest part could be not getting worn out by too many events. Also - he's so good in so many events, it may be hard for him to choose which to focus on.

(I swam competitively on a Y team for a couple years in my mid-teens... just enough to get me hooked on the sport)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court