Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
Maedhros
The Tall

The Forgotten Fingon

I have always wondered about why isn't Fingon a popular character.
He is certainly an Elf with a high moral character.
He who was the son of Fingolfin, he who was betrayed along with Fingolfin's host in the Wastes of Araman, he who undertook the journey into the Helcaraxë, he had his brothers wife killed in that journey, and his brother Arakáno died in the Nuin Giliath. He thought that Maedhros had betrayed him in the burning of the ships at Losgar, and still he went on to rescue him to heal the feuds between the Houses of Fingolfin and Fëanor. He had no oath, he acted for the best of his people.
What fault can I find in Fingon's character? Not too many. The only thing that comes to my head is the fact that he led the foremost host of Fingolfin and it may be possible that he participated in the Kinslaying of Alqualondë. But if he did, he participated because he saw his kin in a battle and had no way to tell that the Ñoldor had initiated the batlle.
He did acts that were the true acts of a king to his people.
He and his archers vanquished Glaurung in a battle. He died valiantly battling Gothmog, and was only vanquished because of a balrog that hit him from behind.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
Maedhros
The Tall

I keep forgetting, why is FF so well liked? Why is he more popular than Fingon? Is it because he has golden hair?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.

Last edited by Maedhros : 03-16-2003 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:27 AM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Fingon is not forgotten I've said in another thread that his rescue of Maedhros is one of my favourite stories in the Sil. To me his greatness was revealed then.
Quote:
Is it because he has golden hair?
Do I smell hair envy?
Old 03-17-2003, 12:19 PM   #4
Maedhros
The Tall

I still don't get why FF is chosen over Fingon. Doesn't makes sense to me.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 03-17-2003, 12:36 PM   #5
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
I still don't get why FF is chosen over Fingon. Doesn't makes sense to me.
I don't choose Finrod over Fingon, so I can't answer you. SGH undoubtedly will have answers. But I can tell you why I like Finrod, most of all because he befriended Men and saw their greatness, and didn't belittle them as other Elves tended to do. And then of course there are his other noble qualities, but these he shared with many other of the Eldar.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:34 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I have always found Fingon to be a wonderful charactor. His rescue of Meadhros that bridged the division of the Noldor, his leadership on the ice, and as High King, and his bravery on the battlefield. He wasn't called "the valiant" for nothing.

I don't understand this need to constantly compare other characters to Finrod. They all had their good qualities. Meadhros, why do you dislike him so much? He was a good guy. Next thing you'll be telling me that Sauron and Morgoth were better than FF.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-17-2003, 05:10 PM   #7
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

I agree, Fingon rocks, my world. (Realises how moronic he sounds when he says that.)

Quote:
Do I smell hair envy?
EVERYONE knows that Fingon has the best hair in Arda. except maybe for Aegnor.

Quote:
In the case of Fingon it was suitable; he wore his long dark hair in plaist braided with gold.
HoME 10; Shibboleth of Feanor

Pffft...who wants plain, old boring, blonde when you can have that.

But, I still like Aegnor's hair.

Quote:
his hair was notable: Golden like his brothers and sisters, but stiff and strong, rising up like flames.
HoME 10; Shibboleth of Feanor
Old 03-17-2003, 06:34 PM   #8
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Inderjit Sanghera
EVERYONE knows that Fingon has the best hair in Arda. except maybe for Aegnor.
And perhaps except Artanis Or are the nissi not accepted in this particular hair-beauty-competition?

Quote:
Pffft...who wants plain, old boring, blonde when you can have that.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

That description of Aegnor's hair is rather funny. Actually, IIRC, the ladies here have discussed his hair-colour in another thread
Old 03-17-2003, 07:00 PM   #9
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

When reading the Silm. i always feel that Tolkien (or Christopher, who knows) was particularly fond of Felagund.

but i agree that Fingon can be compared with FF.

Perhaps the difference is that FF helps a man when men were seen as very lesser peoples and that FF is not only an heroic figure but also a wise elf. if we add his love story, then... i'm seeing again that Tolkien had good reasons to be fond of him
Old 03-17-2003, 08:34 PM   #10
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I keep forgetting, why is FF so well liked? Why is he more popular than Fingon? Is it because he has golden hair?
The hair has nothing to do with it. Finrod is just... well... jeeze... haven't we discussed why he is "THE ELF" among all other elves. Do we really have to rehash this? I think this is a mute point.

Besides, Fingon is not forgotten... he was a great elf, certainly not to equal Finrod. But hey, who could? I really like Fingon's character. Especially when he rescues Maedhros from his long years of torment on the wall (really touched me, deeply).

But again... he's not Finrod.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:45 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Aegnors hair was only like that in his youth, when he became angry, IIRC.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-17-2003, 11:27 PM   #12
Ruinel
Banned

I'm still really confused about the hair thing. Is this a discussion thread about hair? Or weren't we discussing Fingon? I'm just really confused right now. *feels insecure about plain red hair... puts hair in pony tail*
Old 03-18-2003, 10:15 AM   #13
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Besides, Fingon is not forgotten... he was a great elf, certainly not to equal Finrod. But hey, who could? I really like Fingon's character. Especially when he rescues Maedhros from his long years of torment on the wall (really touched me, deeply).
Hehe.
Let's see Fingon's brother was killed when the host of Fingolfin reached ME. He thought that he was betrayed by Maedhros, and yet with all of those things, he risked his life to save his friend to breach the gap between the Ñoldor. He had no oath.
Whereas FF, aided Beren because of an Oath. Let's see on was in Nargothrond and the other in Hithlum.
FF is certainly not braver than Fingon. Why is he suppodsedly better?
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 03-18-2003, 11:07 AM   #14
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Hehe.
Let's see Fingon's brother was killed when the host of Fingolfin reached ME. He thought that he was betrayed by Maedhros, and yet with all of those things, he risked his life to save his friend to breach the gap between the Ñoldor. He had no oath.
Whereas FF, aided Beren because of an Oath. Let's see on was in Nargothrond and the other in Hithlum.
FF is certainly not braver than Fingon. Why is he suppodsedly better?
Where does it say that Fingon's brother was killed.

You seem to be implying that Finrod's aid to Beren through an oath made his deeds of less worth than other Elves. I find it admirable that he swore an oath of aid and abiding friendship to Barahir, and then several years later kept his promise and aided Beren, sacrificing his life. His oath did not make his deeds any less greater. And if you want to look at it that way, we could say that Fingon had an ulterior motive in aiding Meadhros, because he wanted to bridge the gap between the Noldor and what better way, than to commit such a heroic feat. Not that I think that's the way it was, but we could look at it that way.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-18-2003, 11:38 AM   #15
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Where does it say that Fingon's brother was killed.
He is refering to Arakano, who is not in the Silmarilion, but only in the Shiboleth of Feanor in HoME.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:49 AM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
He is refering to Arakano, who is not in the Silmarilion, but only in the Shiboleth of Feanor in HoME.
Thanks Lefty.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-18-2003, 12:12 PM   #17
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Really I don't prefer one Elf to the next. They all had important roles in the outcome of ME.
Fingon rescued Maedhros, led the assualt against Glaurung, and led the westeren army in the Niraeth Arnoediad.
Finrod built Minas Tirith, built Nargothrond, was the first to encounter Men, and gave his life for Beren.
Finrod was featured in more of the detailed stories of the First Age then the other princes, but I do not think that truely makes him better.
If Fingon and the Noldor of Hithlum didn't hold back Melkor for so long Finrod might not have had the chance to rule the largest Noldorin realm in Beleriand.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:03 PM   #18
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
You seem to be implying that Finrod's aid to Beren through an oath made his deeds of less worth than other Elves. I find it admirable that he swore an oath of aid and abiding friendship to Barahir, and then several years later kept his promise and aided Beren, sacrificing his life. His oath did not make his deeds any less greater. And if you want to look at it that way, we could say that Fingon had an ulterior motive in aiding Meadhros, because he wanted to bridge the gap between the Noldor and what better way, than to commit such a heroic feat. Not that I think that's the way it was, but we could look at it that way.
Yep. That is exaclty what I'm saying, I don't think that Finrod would have aided Beren for his selfish quest if he didn't have made an oath, meanwhile the deed of Fingon was to bring peace to his people.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 03-18-2003, 05:45 PM   #19
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Ask yourself if Beren would have gone to Nargothrond if it was not for the oath?
Beren searched out Finrod because the oath.
And remember Finrod's foresight that he told to Galadriel. I don't have the book around but they are talking about why Finrod had no wife and he said that one day he would swear an oath.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:18 PM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Yep. That is exaclty what I'm saying, I don't think that Finrod would have aided Beren for his selfish quest if he didn't have made an oath, meanwhile the deed of Fingon was to bring peace to his people.
There is a big difference between keeping a sworn promise that shows your true loyalty and friendship, than having another purpose for why you do something heroic.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread