Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2004, 07:19 PM   #1
azalea
Long lost mooter

Favorite characters (NEWBIE-FRIENDLY THREAD)

Welcome to our first officially designated newbie-friendly thread, suggested by an actual newbie! Now, without further ado:

Who is your favorite character, and why?

Mine varies, but I one I consistently return to is Eowyn, because she knew she could be an asset to her uncle/ king as a soldier and rode to battle despite the stigma of being a woman. She was incredibly brave, and was the star of one of the best and most exciting scenes in the trilogy.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I am very fond of Éowyn, but Aragorn will forever be my favorite. I identify with him, his long years wandering in the wild, trying to prove himself worthy of his love. Well, I just struggled through medical school, but some of those professors could give the Balrog points. Galadriel is my second favorite, wisest and most beautiful woman in Middle-earth. What did Celeborn do to deserve her?
Old 08-16-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
What did Celeborn do to deserve her?
By making himself a complete doormat.

Last edited by Olmer : 08-16-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:20 PM   #4
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Noone understands Celeborn. He wasn't a doormat, he was the wisest of the Elven Wise (that's right, above Elrond, C*rdan, and even Galadriel, according to the Elves themselves), particularly in the manner of prudence, and he knew when he had made a mistake. He was humble.

My favorite character in Lord of the Rings used to be Fredegar Bolger, but nowadays I think it's Tom Bombadil. Tom is a comfortable character (it's easy for me to slip into his boots when he wanders onto the page), and a unique one, who brings that nice taste of otherworldliness into the romance.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

LOL, didn't Galadriel hand him his hat, when she said that "even Celeborn the Wise" speech? Inferiority complex? What inferiority complex? (Apologies to Dixieberry!)
Old 08-18-2004, 11:27 PM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I don't know about hats, but Galadriel just healed some old wounds, and helped an angry man understand his supposed enemy.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:34 AM   #7
*Lady Raven*
Sapling

Strider Favoite Character?

My favorite character are Merry and Pippin, they are the ones that give you hope through the whole story.

Last edited by *Lady Raven* : 08-19-2004 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Don't like it
*Lady Raven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:55 AM   #8
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

My current favorite in Lord of the Rings is Samwise Gamgee. I dunno why, I used to get irritated at the Frodo/Sam sections but now I like Samwises character a lot more. For now at least.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:55 PM   #9
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

in LoTR i think it is Sam or maybe Tom Bombadil. In the end, if it hadn't been for Sam the whole task would failed.he has the will and courage to help Frodo when all is bad and grim.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:43 AM   #10
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

I really like Sauron.
Very misunderstood. The other like Gandalf and Saruman didnt understand his point of view so they labeled him as evil. Eventually the rest of the world bought it and then even Sauron wondered if he was evil. Its just too sad...
Old 08-20-2004, 11:29 AM   #11
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
I really like Sauron.
Very misunderstood. The other like Gandalf and Saruman didnt understand his point of view so they labeled him as evil. Eventually the rest of the world bought it and then even Sauron wondered if he was evil. Its just too sad...
Now you're REALLY being naughty, Mr. Haradrim! And you're contradicting yourself from your post to you sig!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:36 PM   #12
Haradrim

I think he was misunderstood but I think hes dealing with it the wrong way.I feel that the valar, maiar and the others should all sit down down with Melkor, and Sauron and discuss what the real problem i.s I blame the good guys for what happened to Sauron and Melkor.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:08 AM   #13
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Not really as seen as the Valar forgave Melkor and chained him only for him to betray them again.
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:30 AM   #14
Haradrim

But what did they forgive him for. For beign different. For not thinking the same way they did. That is discrimination. They shouldnt have to forgive him for anything.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:32 AM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain

Well the title DARK LORD he gave himself gives away part of what they forgave him for.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 08-22-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:35 AM   #16
Haradrim

Hey who gave him the title the dark lord. I am sure it wasnt him. And even if he did give it to himself whats wrong with liking the dark a lot. I stay up all night most nights because I love the night. Knowing that I am the only one awake in a ten mile radius. Man that is fun. So what if he calls himself the Dark Lord if in fact he gave himself that name.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #17
Telcontar_Dunedain

And he engaged the Valar in war just after the coming of elves. And Eru himself told Manwe that Melkor had gone astray.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 08-23-2004, 06:20 PM   #18
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
My current favorite in Lord of the Rings is Samwise Gamgee. I dunno why, I used to get irritated at the Frodo/Sam sections but now I like Samwises character a lot more. For now at least.
My favourite character has always been Sam.

I also love Merry, Pippin, Faramir, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, Eowyn, Frodo, Galadriel, Gandalf, Saruman and Aragorn (EDIT) and Treebeard. They are all wonderous characters and worthy of mention.

Anyway, back to my favourite character Sam. I always liked the scenes with Frodo and Sam, though when my dad first read me the book, I didn't understand Frodo's character very well - in some ways I still don't. He's a very complicated fellow. I notice no one has named him favourite character. He does save the world guys... yea Frodo! Frodo lives!

Anyway the reason I love Sam is because he's so loyal, even when he doesn't understand the situation (like when they first meet Faramir's men). He retains his innocence even after all the evil and horror that he's seen. He loves to cook, and he's a forester (at the end of the book)! (I'm currently working on a forestry degree.) I love Sam. *hugs imaginary Sam*

Incidentally, I listed Saruman because he's such a great villain. He's highly entertaining, clever, and evil, gets his butt properly kicked by the Hobbits, and is such a great example of a fallen hero. (He's not my second favourite character though, I'd say Pippin is if I had to choose.) (EDIT) I love Treebeard too, maybe he's my very close third favourite character.

Here's another question along this theme - who's your favourite team of characters? Choices include: Frodo and Sam, Merry and Pippin, Gandalf and Aragorn, Arwen and Aragorn, Eowyn and Faramir, Saruman and Grima, Eomer and Theoden etc.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 08-23-2004 at 06:24 PM. Reason: I left out Treebeard! Waugh!
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:49 PM   #19
Haradrim

Merry and Pippen. No question. The abslotue oppitimy of awesomeness on so many levels.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:21 AM   #20
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
My favourite character has always been Sam.

I always liked the scenes with Frodo and Sam, though when my dad first read me the book, I didn't understand Frodo's character very well - in some ways I still don't. He's a very complicated fellow. I notice no one has named him favourite character. He does save the world guys... yea Frodo! Frodo lives!
My favourite characters have always been Sam and Frodo, although Aragorn and Gandalf are also close favourites.

Frodo is an underrated character because of his quiet, unassuming personality, but just think about what he sacrificed. Only Frodo could know what the Ring was really doing to him, he must have already had some inkling of this when he agreed to take the Ring to Mordor. What a sacrifice - taking up a burden that was not of his own making, sacrificing his peace of mind and his health, exposing himself to all the horror that he felt so keenly, and all in order to save his beloved homeland and all its inhabitants.

Besides, if he wasn't such a fantastic character he wouldn't have been so popular with all the other terrific hobbits.