Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-17-2001, 09:05 PM   #1
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Gandalf OK! Let's start a discussion on Barrow-Wights.

This is one of the creepiest parts of LOTR!

Were they spirits of dead kings?
Who were the men of Carn Dun? (sp)
I picture Stonehenge when reading this section.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 09:27 PM   #2
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

Barrow-Wights

Barrow-Wights were evil spirits from Angmar. After Gondor and the Elves defeated Angmar, they took over the bodies of buried kings. (shudder) They are creepy.
Finmandos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 09:43 PM   #3
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Yes they are embodied spirits. What of their origin(what were they before they became spirits...or were they always spirits?)

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 08-17-2001, 10:40 PM   #4
Theodred
Sapling

ringbearer- the spelling is Carn Dum.

The barrow-wights were very frightening, I had bad dreams after I had first read that chapter! *shiver*
Old 08-17-2001, 11:13 PM   #5
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Carn Dum is the chief city of Angmar I believe, or it was.

I had an argument a while ago with Michael Martinez over this. It's been his long lasting belief that the Barrow-wights were either lesser Maian spirits or Elvish wraiths. I believe it is in some way possible that they were in origin Men.
Old 08-19-2001, 06:31 PM   #6
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

If they were maia, does that do to the Bombadil debate?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 12:09 PM   #7
Earendilyon
Sapling

Nazgul

I always considered them to be human spirits, of men of Arnor or one of the kingdoms created out of Arnor.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 01:27 PM   #8
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

I think the men of Carn Dun were related to the hillmen from the ettenmoors.
Finmandos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 04:43 PM   #9
Theodred
Sapling

I thought they were elven wraiths, heavily corrupted by Morgoth!
But that's just me!
Old 08-20-2001, 09:46 PM   #10
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Comic Book Guy, no, I don't think that would do anything to the Bombadil debate.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:32 PM   #11
hiku747
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

so what would have happened if frodo hadnt woken up? i know the barrow wrights steal jewels and gold and stuff, but werent the hobbits wrapped up in sheets? what would have happened? i am so confused!!
Old 08-20-2001, 10:55 PM   #12
ringbearer
Elf Lord

They would have been killed! I read that the wights were servants of the Enemy...so the ring would have been found also.

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 08-21-2001, 07:03 AM   #13
jediguy
Hobbit

I like to think that they're spirits of men, corrupted by the Witch-king. When he was defeated, they came out of Carn-dum and down to inhabit the barrows of kings.

I read somewhere that the barrows themselves are very, very old. Something about them being the graves of men before they passed over the Ered Luin into Beleriand. Can anyone confirm this?
jediguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 09:17 AM   #14
WearyPilgrim
Sapling

Gandalf

They could not have been the spirits of Men, the chapter "Of Men" in the Silmarillion says that :

Quote:
"What may befall their spirits after death the Elves know not. Some say that they too go to the Halls of Mandos; but their place of waiting there is not that of the Elves, and Mandos under Iluvatar alone save Manwe knows whither they go after the time of recollection in those silent halls beside the Outer Sea. None have ever come back from the mansions of the dead, save only Beren son of Barahir, whose hand had touched a Silmaril; but he never spoke afterward to mortal Men. The fate of Men after death, maybe, is not in the hands of the Valar, nor was all foretold in the Music of the Ainur."
Even the Valar have no power over the dead spirits of Men ( with the exception of Beren ), so the Witch King could not possibly have. Yes, the Barrows dated back to the ancient days of the First Age before the meeting of Elves and Men, and were considered a sacred area until the final destrucion of Arthedain where the princes of the Great Houses of the Edain were buried. So, not Men. Elvish wraiths, I doubt it, there is no evidence. That only leaves lesser Maia spirits, I favour this one, sent by the Witch King to give the impression that the ancient dead had arisen, to generate fear in the local area and as an insult against his former enemies ( the greatest of which would have been buried there ).
WearyPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 12:28 AM   #15
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

But there were exceptions. I wasn't suggesting the Wights were Mannish spirits returned from withersoever Mannish spirits go, but rather that they never went. Remember the Dead Men of Dunharrow, doomed to remain and haunt their old realm as ghosts, until their oath is fulfilled. Doomed by Isildur and some necromatic arts.

And if there is no evidence pointing to Elvish wraiths, then there is also no evidence pointing to lesser Maiar. But Elvish wraiths are said to be summoned at times by dark magic and actually to have possessed the unweary. Wraiths refusing the summons of Mandos, that is.

Welcome, by the way!
Old 08-22-2001, 12:08 PM   #16
WearyPilgrim
Sapling

Gandalf

The Deadmen of Dunharrow were cursed by Isildur while they were still alive, doomed to remain until the fulfilment of their Oath as you correctly say, however, the dead of the Barrows were already dead and their spirits gone, their bodies only were buried there, after all they will have died elsewhere, either in battle, or of old age and disease, then their spirits would have been released to the Mansions of the Dead.

Additionally the Men that accepted the Nine Rings of Power from Sauron and became the Ringwraiths were alive when they did so, the Rings stretching their “lives” and turning them into shadows.

There is admittedly a few holes in my argument, in “Of Beren and Luthien” there is the passage about the “wraith of Gorlim” coming to warn Beren, but that was soon after his own death and then only in a dream.

Tolkien does say that the Barrow wights were sent there by the Witch King, now what were they ? I think I may have argued sufficiently that they could not in all probability have been the spirits of Men – LOL – ( remember the quote from my first post says that only Beren ever came back ), but as you say it could have been Elvish Wraiths, Tolkien did write that not all of the Elvish dead went to Mandos, in “Morgoth’s Ring” it does says that Morgoth could interrupt their passage to Mandos and bring them under his control, but that was Morgoth, one of the Vala, could Sauron, only one ( very powerful ) of the Maia of Aule do the same, I know he was called the Necromancer before he returned to Mordor but we do not know for what reason ?

I still think it could have been a lesser Maia, after all a Balrog still existed, and not all the Maia that served Morgoth were captured or destroyed after his fall, e.g. the Balrog of Moria, could not other former servants have escaped also and then joined up with Sauron ? Could it not have been some of these that would earn the name of Barrow Wight ?

Finally I have to say that nothing is quite clear cut in this question, trying to sort all the info ( some of which is just a bit vague ) into a coherent argument is giving me a bit of a headache , but it is going to be fun arguing the point … LOL .

Thanks for the Welcome … I look forward to the further crossing of swords, touché.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:20 PM   #17
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

It is more or less clear that the Wights inhabited the bones of the buried dead of the Downs, but I haven't heard that they were dead in some fashion when the Witchking got a hold of them. If this was said, certainly no one could believe they were lesser Maiar. We just know they were spirits.

The chief thing seen with the Dead Men of Dunharrow that I was trying to get across is that it is possible that the wraiths of Men could be held from leaving the Circles of the World. Not likely to happen, it very seldom does, but it's possible.

According to my dictionary, necromancy is 'conjuration of the spirits of the dead for purposes of magically revealing the future or influencing the course of events'. Necromancy seems to be a type of Sorcery in Tolkien's works. A Necromancer (there are two characters in the Lord of the Rings of which I am aware that are called this) would naturally be one who conjures spirits, etc., one who studies necromancy.

In Morgoth's Ring which you mention, Sauron is stated to be -- at the period of the height of his power with the Ring -- greater than Morgoth was towards the end of the First Age.

I don't think it unlikely that they were lesser Maiar (although most of these I think were destroyed in the War of Wrath {most that served Morgoth} certainly there were many others than the Balrog that survived), or Elvish Wights. My argument is simply that it is possible, however unlikely that they were Mannish ghosts.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:32 PM   #18
Erewe
Enting

Strider

I'll have to go read that chapter again, but I could have sworn that Tolkien says right there that they're spirits of men.

BTW, don't forget CT's introduction to the Sil. Complete consistance is not to be looked for. Tolkien changed his mind about many things many times. Perhaps at one time he felt that the spirits of men couldn't hang around, and later (or earlier) he felt they could.

--Erewë

"Hey! Look! There he goes! Oh, it's just a crumby Balrog" --Crow T Robot

"I'll just see if Bombadil has a place to crash" --Pearl Forrester

"Put a sock in it, Legolas" --Mike Nelson

"Hey Gollum. Whats up man?" --Tom Servo
Erewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 03:50 PM   #19
WearyPilgrim
Sapling

Gandalf

Before I give another lengthy reply .. LOL .. I thought that I would bring up something connected to the Barrow-wights, namely why did they not take the opportunity to remove the Ring from Frodo when they captured him and rendered him unconcious ? It just seems a bit odd ... it would have made the book shorter ... LOL .. but given Tolkien's thoroughness in writing and re-writing the LoTR ... it seems a bit of omission.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:45 PM   #20
ladyisme
Enting

Strider

Perhaps the Barrow-Wrights couldn't sense the ring as could the Black Riders. After all Frodo himself was not striped and serched as were the others and it seems possible that the ring was tempting Frodo to put it on in order to get the wrights to notice it.

Quote:
"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote