Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
CAB
Elven Warrior

Why didn't Sauron use the Numenorean army?

Towards the end of the Second Age, the Numenoreans had become a very formidable military force. When Ar Pharazon confronted Sauron, Sauron’s own servants deserted him and he was taken as a prisoner to Numenor. After a few years Sauron gained control of Pharazon and through him the Numenorean military. My question is: Why didn’t Sauron use this army against his enemies in Middle Earth, primarily the Elves and Faithful Numenoreans? The Numenoreans in Ar Pharazon’s time surely could have destroyed or enslaved them. Instead, Sauron willingly destroyed his new forces by sending them against the Valar. He knew quite well that this would be their end. Why would he do this?
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Interesting topic, CAB. I don't think it has ever been discussed before.

IMO, Ar-Pharazon, whatever strong Sauron's influence might have been, never became his slave.
The King did what HE wanted to do - and he wanted immortality and in that he was of like mind with most of the populatiion. There was nothing for him to gain, if he had attacked Gil-Galad.
As for the Faithful, they were keeping their heads low, both in Nimenor and in ME. Never was there an open rebellion, hence there was really no need for military action against the Faithful. Gradually they would have been exterminated one by one.

Now, by the time of the Downfall, Ar-Pharazon was already 200 years old. His predecessor, Tar-Palantir the Faithful, lived only to 220 years, while his own father, Gimilkhâd, died at 200! The King had NO time to waste hunting elves n ME. He had to act before the "Gift" of Eru reached him.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Interesting topic, CAB. I don't think it has ever been discussed before.

IMO, Ar-Pharazon, whatever strong Sauron's influence might have been, never became his slave.
The King did what HE wanted to do - and he wanted immortality and in that he was of like mind with most of the populatiion. There was nothing for him to gain, if he had attacked Gil-Galad.
As for the Faithful, they were keeping their heads low, both in Nimenor and in ME. Never was there an open rebellion, hence there was really no need for military action against the Faithful. Gradually they would have been exterminated one by one.

Now, by the time of the Downfall, Ar-Pharazon was already 200 years old. His predecessor, Tar-Palantir the Faithful, lived only to 220 years, while his own father, Gimilkhâd, died at 200! The King had NO time to waste hunting elves n ME. He had to act before the "Gift" of Eru reached him.
Good answer as always Gordis. Let me ask you this though. Why couldn’t Sauron wait a few years for Pharazon to die and then work on his successor? He would then have more time to defeat his enemies in Middle Earth before the new King grew old. I think you are right that Pharazon wasn’t completely under Sauron’s control and this might have been the case with the new King also, but surely Sauron could come up with a way to convince him that attacking the Elves in Middle Earth was to his advantage. They were already attacking Men far and wide.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Sauron could come up with a way to convince him that attacking the Elves in Middle Earth was to his advantage. They were already attacking Men far and wide.
I believe so too, in the Kings of Numenor, RotK, it is stated:
Quote:
Ar-Pharazon the Golden was the proudest and most powerful of all the Kings, and no less than the kingship of the world was his desire.
Perhaps Sauron didn't want Ar-Pharazon to confron his own faithful subjects; or maybe he just wanted the numenoreans to die, since he hated them so much:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akallabeth, Silmarillion
For Sauron himself was filled with great fear at the wrath of the Valar, and the doom that Eru laid upon sea and land. It was greater far than aught he had looked for, hoping only for the death of the Numenoreans and the defeat of their proud king
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:38 AM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I think the main reason is that Sauron wanted Númenor utterly destroyed. He didn't at the moment care much about the Elves and other people in Middle-earth. He could deal with them later. He didn't want to control Númenor and its people, he wanted to see them crippled, humbled and cast down. I guess his pride was majorly stung when Ar-Pharazon outdid him in power.

I think he saw the corruption of the Númenoreans he wrought, the fact that he was able to send Ar-Pharazon to Valinor to defy the Valar from whom the Númenoreans had even received their own land, as a enormous victory. I doubt he had forseen the magnitude and swiftness of Eru's punishment or he wouldn't have stayed in Númenor. Unless Ar-Pharazon didn't completely trust him after all and wanted to make sure Sauron was still where he left the maia when he returned from his campaign against Valinor.

But it still stands that Sauron managed to destroy a very prosperous and advanced civilisation and reduced a mighty people to exiles and cast-aways, much diminished in power, knowledge and technology. While Gondor and Arnor still were great kingdoms, they were but a small remnant of what once was, and they would never again equal the likes of Númenor. With the destruction of Númenor Sauron successfully made sure the might of Númenor could never stand again in the way of his dominion.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:15 AM   #6
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
With the destruction of Númenor Sauron successfully made sure the might of Númenor could never stand again in the way of his dominion.
I think this is a matter of debate; as long as Numenor stood (with Sauron there), the faithfull could not openly fight Sauron and his plans. Once Numenor perished, the numenoreans in Middle-Earth twice were crucial in defeating Sauron.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:11 AM   #7
Earniel

A matter of debate, indeed. But while the Faitfull were indeed crucial in defeating Sauron later on, it took much more effort. If I'm not mistaken, the Last Alliance where they laid siege on the Barad-dur took years and only with the help of other races and nations did it succeed. So IMO, if the Faithfull had had the strengths which Númenor before the fall had, Sauron's might wouldn't have stood a chance.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Ar-Pharazon the Golden was the proudest and most powerful of all the Kings, and no less than the kingship of the world was his desire.
Thank you for the quote Landroval. Of course, as Gordis has already said, by the time Sauron was (kind of) in control, it was a little late in Pharazon’s lifetime for him to worry about conquering the world. His first priority had to be to obtain everlasting life. However, this quote may likely apply to Pharazon’s successor as well. This is something I was hoping someone would touch on. Who was next in line for the Kingship? Was Sauron concerned he wouldn’t have the same influence over this person? The Queen was of the Faithful, so this may have been a concern, but I doubt she was going to rule after Pharazon’s death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I think the main reason is that Sauron wanted Númenor utterly destroyed. He didn't at the moment care much about the Elves and other people in Middle-earth. He could deal with them later. He didn't want to control Númenor and its people, he wanted to see them crippled, humbled and cast down. I guess his pride was majorly stung when Ar-Pharazon outdid him in power.

I think he saw the corruption of the Númenoreans he wrought, the fact that he was able to send Ar-Pharazon to Valinor to defy the Valar from whom the Númenoreans had even received their own land, as a enormous victory. I doubt he had forseen the magnitude and swiftness of Eru's punishment or he wouldn't have stayed in Númenor. Unless Ar-Pharazon didn't completely trust him after all and wanted to make sure Sauron was still where he left the maia when he returned from his campaign against Valinor.

But it still stands that Sauron managed to destroy a very prosperous and advanced civilisation and reduced a mighty people to exiles and cast-aways, much diminished in power, knowledge and technology. While Gondor and Arnor still were great kingdoms, they were but a small remnant of what once was, and they would never again equal the likes of Númenor. With the destruction of Númenor Sauron successfully made sure the might of Númenor could never stand again in the way of his dominion.
You may be right. In my opinion this would have been very shortsighted of Sauron though. The combined free peoples of Middle Earth still posed a great threat. Maybe he was just overconfident, or overvengeful, or was more concerned to remove the greater threat. Then again, as you may be suggesting, maybe the destruction of Numenor was as important to him as his own victory in Middle Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landroval
Once Numenor perished, the numenoreans in Middle-Earth twice were crucial in defeating Sauron.
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the Last Alliance where they laid siege on the Barad-dur took years and only with the help of other races and nations did it succeed.
Yes it was a close call, but this was still a miscalculation on Sauron’s part. Maybe vengefulness blinded Sauron’s judgement. But as Earniel says, he did remove one threat.
Quote:
So IMO, if the Faithfull had had the strengths which Númenor before the fall had, Sauron's might wouldn't have stood a chance.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB
You may be right. In my opinion this would have been very shortsighted of Sauron though. The combined free peoples of Middle Earth still posed a great threat. Maybe he was just overconfident, or overvengeful, or was more concerned to remove the greater threat. Then again, as you may be suggesting, maybe the destruction of Numenor was as important to him as his own victory in Middle Earth.
Indeed, Sauron not necessarily made the smartest choice. His hate for Númenor may have blinded him to the consequences. He was very confident in his strength and power, which was illustrated when Sauron claimed the title King of Men and declared he would destroy Númenor if need should be. I guess he miscalculated just a little bit what Númenor actually could do.

But best not to forget that even before the coming of Sauron to Númenor the relations between Middle-earth and Númenor had already deteriorated severely. Elves were called spies of the Valar and those who welcomed them in Númenor risked punishment. Even Tar-Palantir's attempt to turn the tide was in vain. So the chances of them uniting against Sauron were, IMO, small. Númenor was most likely the biggest threat at the time. Perhaps the only one apart from the Valar that could defeat Sauron single-handedly.

But in the end, it was the destruction of Númenor that released the Faithful from the oppression of their King and allowed them to re-ally them with the Elves as of old, exactly that which eventually costed Sauron dearly in the battle with the Last Alliance. Now that is what I call an oversight.

In this I spy the hand of Eru, that while Númenor was lost and Men dimished, and the Valar laid down their stewardship, Sauron too was caught in its fall and lost his fair form. And from the destruction of Númenor his downfall would come in the end. And it brought Elves and Men back together again, at least for a while.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB
Good answer as always Gordis. Let me ask you this though. Why couldn’t Sauron wait a few years for Pharazon to die and then work on his successor?
I don't think Sauron wanted to take the chance of his succesor being similar to Tar-Palantir. I think I am right to say that at this point Ar-Pharazon had not had any children, so if he ied the next ruler who have been Miriel, who was one of the faithful. I think that if this did happen then the people of Numenor could be persuaded to see things from Miriel's and the rest of the Faithful's side. After all it was the ruler who turned Numenor against the Lord's of Andunie in the first place, not Sauron.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I believe people tend to overestimate Sauron's influence on Ar-Pharazon. The only things Sauron achieved was making the Numenoreans worship Melkor and attack Valinor - both things for one goal - gaining immortality. That was the only thing they really wanted, not some war with the ME Elves. Sauron couldn't really use the King and his army as he wished: that's why he destroyed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB
Why couldn’t Sauron wait a few years for Pharazon to die and then work on his successor? He would then have more time to defeat his enemies in Middle Earth before the new King grew old. I think you are right that Pharazon wasn’t completely under Sauron’s control and this might have been the case with the new King also, but surely Sauron could come up with a way to convince him that attacking the Elves in Middle Earth was to his advantage. They were already attacking Men far and wide.
I believe Ar-Pharazon would have never agreed to wait and die. He was King, it was he who took decisions. If Sauron tried to turn his attentions elsewhere, he wouldn't have agreed. Death was major issue in Numenor by this time: the life span of the Kings was HALVED!
And I think Telcontar_Dunedain is right. The next ruler would be MIRIEL - not as a widow of Ar-Pharazon, but as a daughter of Tar-Palantir. And after her the Sceptre would have passed to the next in line - this person should have been appointed heir long ago and probably left behind when the Fleet sailed - just in case. There was later the custom in Gondor to leave a Heir to the crown behind (Like Ondoher and Faramir his son-see UT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniel
He didn't want to control Númenor and its people, he wanted to see them crippled, humbled and cast down. I guess his pride was majorly stung when Ar-Pharazon outdid him in power.
Yes, I agree with that. Sauron was a vengeful guy. But what did he really plan? Yes, he was expecting Pharazon and his army to perish in their assault on Valinor. He wasn't expecting the drowning of the whole island. What would have happened if the fleet never returned? Normally the remaining population of Numenor would have been even more in Sauron's power and even more turned against the Valar and the Elves than they were previously. The new Queen, Tar-Miriel, had little left to live anyway and who would be the next King, who knows? The Witch-King, perhaps. .Next generation would have served Sauron, IMHO, and the might of the Island would have been slowly rebuilt. Of course there were the Faithful, but having the Power in his hands, Sauron would have dealt with them - or so he thought.

Last edited by Gordis : 04-30-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #12
Earniel

Quote:
Yes, he was expecting Pharazon and his army to perish in their assault on Valinor. He wasn't expecting the drowning of the whole island. What would have happened if the fleet never returned? Normally the remaining population of Numenor would have been even more in Sauron's power and even more turned against the Valar and the Elves than they were previously.
Interesting observation. If Ar-Pharazon and his fleet never came back, it would have left a power-vacuum in Númenor. One, I'm thinking MÃ*riel would have had difficulty to fill succesfully. Turning the population of Númenor back from the Morgoth-worship and back on friendly basis with the West and Elves would have been a very hard task indeed, considering there was but a small group of Faithfull left on the whole continent. Sauron may very well have had a much better shot at the control then.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:06 AM   #13
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
But best not to forget that even before the coming of Sauron to Númenor the relations between Middle-earth and Númenor had already deteriorated severely. Elves were called spies of the Valar and those who welcomed them in Númenor risked punishment. Even Tar-Palantir's attempt to turn the tide was in vain. So the chances of them uniting against Sauron were, IMO, small. Númenor was most likely the biggest threat at the time. Perhaps the only one apart from the Valar that could defeat Sauron single-handedly.

But in the end, it was the destruction of Númenor that released the Faithful from the oppression of their King and allowed them to re-ally them with the Elves as of old, exactly that which eventually costed Sauron dearly in the battle with the Last Alliance. Now that is what I call an oversight.

In this I spy the hand of Eru, that while Númenor was lost and Men dimished, and the Valar laid down their stewardship, Sauron too was caught in its fall and lost his fair form. And from the destruction of Númenor his downfall would come in the end. And it brought Elves and Men back together again, at least for a while.
Good point. The way things worked out does seem like it might have been a divine plan.

Quote:
I believe people tend to overestimate Sauron's influence on Ar-Pharazon. The only things Sauron achieved was making the Numenoreans worship Melkor and attack Valinor - both things for one goal - gaining immortality. That was the only thing they really wanted, not some war with the ME Elves. Sauron couldn't really use the King and his army as he wished: that's why he destroyed them.
I think you are right that Sauron’s influence is often overestimated, but I also think you may be somewhat underestimating it. However, as you have already implied, it didn’t matter in regards to using the Numenoreans to take over Middle Earth in Pharazon's time. Pharazon would become obsessed with his own death before they could complete this task. Then again, they probably could have at least done some damage to the Elves of Middle Earth before the focus was shifted elsewhere. Sauron apparently inspired the attacks (as opposed to just subjugation) on the Men of Middle Earth. Why couldn’t they have simply directed these attacks against the Elves instead?

Quote:
I believe Ar-Pharazon would have never agreed to wait and die. He was King, it was he who took decisions. If Sauron tried to turn his attentions elsewhere, he wouldn't have agreed.
But Gordis, what choice did he have? Pharazon didn’t know of any path to immortality. It could be that Sauron felt he must direct the King’s anger somewhere away from himself I suppose. He surely would have chosen some other target for the King if he didn’t have the destruction of the Numenorean army as his main goal.

Quote:
He wasn't expecting the drowning of the whole island. What would have happened if the fleet never returned? Normally the remaining population of Numenor would have been even more in Sauron's power and even more turned against the Valar and the Elves than they were previously. The new Queen, Tar-Miriel, had little left to live anyway and who would be the next King, who knows? The Witch-King, perhaps. .Next generation would have served Sauron, IMHO, and the might of the Island would have been slowly rebuilt. Of course there were the Faithful, but having the Power in his hands, Sauron would have dealt with them - or so he thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
the next ruler who have been Miriel
Quote:
Interesting observation. If Ar-Pharazon and his fleet never came back, it would have left a power-vacuum in Númenor. One, I'm thinking MÃ*riel would have had difficulty to fill succesfully. Turning the population of Númenor back from the Morgoth-worship and back on friendly basis with the West and Elves would have been a very hard task indeed, considering there was but a small group of Faithfull left on the whole continent. Sauron may very well have had a much better shot at the control then.
This is an interesting observation, and a good point, but it isn’t an answer to the original question, quite the contrary. This is a good reason to find a way to remove Pharazon and preserve the army. Surely Sauron could have done this. Why wait many years while rebuilding when there is already a very powerful army in place? I personally don’t think Miriel had any chance of holding power from Sauron.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:25 AM   #14
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Another interesting thread, chaps.

My view would be that Sauron was so totally blown away by the power of the Numenoreans that he felt he needed to bring about their destruction.

Just looking at the archaeological evidence (Erech, Orthanc, Argonath, a single curse bringing an Army of the Dead back to serve an heir 3,000 years later, etc etc) of a remnant of the Numenoreans, they must have been enormously powerful at their peak. So Sauron's gob was truly smacked, and any thought of physically dominating the Numenoreans was vanquished.

Sauron knew (IMO) also that Men could not be utterly broken in spirit. Did Hurin not defy his master for years? Maybe they might turn to evil, but they would still ultimately go their own way. So, if he retained any hope of being Lord of ME, he would have to destroy them.

Given that, the plan of getting the Valar to destroy them instead was pretty genius IMO.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:57 AM   #15
Earniel

On a side-note, I have to say it really feels good to be able to participate into a new Tolkien-discussion again. I almost forgot how fun it used to be. Thanks guys!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #16
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Damright. Three cheers for Gordis, CAB, TD, Landroval and all the rest.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #17
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB
ButGordis, what choice did he have? Pharazon didn’t know of any path to immortality. It could be that Sauron felt he must direct the King’s anger somewhere away from himself I suppose. He surely would have chosen some other target for the King if he didn’t have the destruction of the Numenorean army as his main goal.
Sauron's plans must have evolved, during his stay in Numenor. I think when Sauron first came to Numenor, he planned to make the King Pharazon his slave, and to use the might of Numenor as he himself wished, just as you suggested, CAB:

(3262-3310 Sauron seduces the King and corrupts the Númenoreans. Tale of Years)
First Sauron made himself really useful.
Quote:
Nonetheless for long it seemed to the Númenóreans that they prospered, and if they were not increased in happiness, yet they grew more strong, and their rich men ever richer. For with the aid and counsel of Sauron they multiplied their possessions, and they devised engines, and they built ever greater ships.
Why would Sauron give sound advice and offer help if he thought to destroy the whole nation or the Army from the start? He could have sent them to Valinor much earlier. But at first he still hoped to rule the Island, behind the King's back.

Sauron used subtlety. First he made the King and the Island worship Melkor, Then he cut the White Tree and built a Temple where "with spilling of blood and torment and great wickedness, men made sacrifice to Melkor that he should release them from Death"

But "Death did not depart from the land, rather it came sooner and more often, and in many dreadful guises."

Here I think Sauron felt like a trickster who promised the people immortality, but couldn't keep his promise. By 3310 it had become evident:
Quote:
But the years passed, and the King felt the shadow of death approach, as his days lengthened; and he was filled with fear and wrath.
Wrath at whom? -At Sauron, of course. And, I believe, most of the Numenoreans felt the same. Sauron couldn't fight alone against all the population of Numenor. Likely the King in his wrath had threatened the Counsellor with death.

Sauron knew the only way to make the King immortal: the Rings of Power. But he had none with him in Valinor save the One. And he couldn't travel to ME to get himself one of the 9 or the 7. Perhaps he also didn't want the hated King forever around as one of his nazgul.

But still, as CAB said, Sauron felt he must direct the King’s anger somewhere away from himself. The Maia was ever resourceful. Here he revealed that the only way to gain immortality was to attack Valinor. Thus he planned death for Ar-Pharazon and for the majority of able-bodied male population, including those of the house of Elros.
And the latter part was very important, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB
This is a good reason to find a way to remove Pharazon and preserve the army. Surely Sauron could have done this. Why wait many years while rebuilding when there is already a very powerful army in place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Sauron knew (IMO) also that Men could not be utterly broken in spirit. Did Hurin not defy his master for years? Maybe they might turn to evil, but they would still ultimately go their own way. So, if he retained any hope of being Lord of ME, he would have to destroy them.
If he removed the King, there would be another one. The line of Elros was numerous, and Sauron has learned from bitter experience that those men were tough morsels to swallow. If he couldn't later daunt Aragorn, how could he hope to enslave his much more powerful predecessors, High Numenoreans of the Royal line? If he had done so before, it was only by giving them the Rings. He wanted them all dead in one blow, and by the enemy's hand. He preferred to deal with the remaining women and their young offspring.

So in 3310 he turned from Plan A (to rule Pharazon and Numenor at the height of its might) to much more humble plan B (to destroy the King and all his army and to rule a much weakened, but more pliable Numenor).

So, as I see it, Sauron's greatest mistakes were underestimating Eru, underestimating the Numenoreans and not taking some spare Rings with him when he came to the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniel
On a side-note, I have to say it really feels good to be able to participate into a new Tolkien-discussion again. I almost forgot how fun it used to be. Thanks guys
I also want to thank all the participants of this wonderful thread. I admire the spirit of politeness and friendliness of everybody here. No sneering or condescending remarks made, as it has happened a few times in other threads and happens all the time on some other Forums. Thank you guys! The Moot seems great again!

Last edited by Gordis : 05-01-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #18
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB
This is an interesting observation, and a good point, but it isn’t an answer to the original question, quite the contrary. This is a good reason to find a way to remove Pharazon and preserve the army. Surely Sauron could have done this. Why wait many years while rebuilding when there is already a very powerful army in place? I personally don’t think Miriel had any chance of holding power from Sauron.
I disagree (or misunderstand you). As I said the next in line was Miriel, and as I also said before she was one of the Faithful. The Faithful saw beyond the disguise of Sauron and if Miriel had become queen you could almsot guarentee he have been off Numenor and surrendered to Gil-galad with weeks. Sauron needed a ruler who would do what he wanted.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #19
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
As I said the next in line was Miriel, and as I also said before she was one of the Faithful. The Faithful saw beyond the disguise of Sauron and if Miriel had become queen you could almsot guarentee he have been off Numenor and surrendered to Gil-galad with weeks. Sauron needed a ruler who would do what he wanted.
But, TD, why didn't the Faithful even try to support Miriel's claim to the throne? She was the rightful queen all along, but still Ar-Pharazon was able to marry her and usurp the throne. Where were the Faithful then?

I hardly doubt that after a premature death of Ar-Pharazon, the Faithful would be able to make her the Queen. And would they even bother to support her? She stopped being Faithful long ago and repented only in the very last moment.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #20
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I disagree (or misunderstand you). As I said the next in line was Miriel, and as I also said before she was one of the Faithful. The Faithful saw beyond the disguise of Sauron and if Miriel had become queen you could almsot guarentee he have been off Numenor and surrendered to Gil-galad with weeks. Sauron needed a ruler who would do what he wanted.
I agree with you that Miriel wouldn’t follow Sauron, but I don’t think the people of Numenor would follow her. She had to seem weak after having pushed aside from her rightful place on the throne for some 65 years. She was probably already fairly old by the time of the attack on Valinor too. Also, as you yourself said, she was probably childless. I personally don’t believe that an old, weak (appearing), childless Queen would have been able to control Sauron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
My view would be that Sauron was so totally blown away by the power of the Numenoreans that he felt he needed to bring about their destruction.

Just looking at the archaeological evidence (Erech, Orthanc, Argonath, a single curse bringing an Army of the Dead back to serve an heir 3,000 years later, etc etc) of a remnant of the Numenoreans, they must have been enormously powerful at their peak. So Sauron's gob was truly smacked, and any thought of physically dominating the Numenoreans was vanquished.

Given that, the plan of getting the Valar to destroy them instead was pretty genius IMO.

Quote:
Sauron's plans must have evolved, during his stay in Numenor. I think when Sauron first came to Numenor, he planned to make the King Pharazon his slave, and to use the might of Numenor as he himself wished, just as you suggested, CAB:

(3262-3310 Sauron seduces the King and corrupts the Númenoreans. Tale of Years)
First Sauron made himself really useful.
Why would Sauron give sound advice and offer help if he thought to destroy the whole nation or the Army from the start? He could have sent them to Valinor much earlier. But at first he still hoped to rule the Island, behind the King's back.

Sauron used subtlety. First he made the King and the Island worship Melkor, Then he cut the White Tree and built a Temple where "with spilling of blood and torment and great wickedness, men made sacrifice to Melkor that he should release them from Death"

But "Death did not depart from the land, rather it came sooner and more often, and in many dreadful guises."

Here I think Sauron felt like a trickster who promised the people immortality, but couldn't keep his promise. By 3310 it had become evident:
Wrath at whom? -At Sauron, of course. And, I believe, most of the Numenoreans felt the same. Sauron couldn't fight alone against all the population of Numenor. Likely the King in his wrath had threatened the Counsellor with death.

Sauron knew the only way to make the King immortal: the Rings of Power. But he had none with him in Valinor save the One. And he couldn't travel to ME to get himself one of the 9 or the 7. Perhaps he also didn't want the hated King forever around as one of his nazgul.

But still, as CAB said, Sauron felt he must direct the King’s anger somewhere away from himself. The Maia was ever resourceful. Here he revealed that the only way to gain immortality was to attack Valinor. Thus he planned death for Ar-Pharazon and for the majority of able-bodied male population, including those of the house of Elros.
And the latter part was very important, indeed.

If he removed the King, there would be another one. The line of Elros was numerous, and Sauron has learned from bitter experience that those men were tough morsels to swallow. If he couldn't later daunt Aragorn, how could he hope to enslave his much more powerful predecessors, High Numenoreans of the Royal line? If he had done so before, it was only by giving them the Rings. He wanted them all dead in one blow, and by the enemy's hand. He preferred to deal with the remaining women and their young offspring.

So in 3310 he turned from Plan A (to rule Pharazon and Numenor at the height of its might) to much more humble plan B (to destroy the King and all his army and to rule a much weakened, but more pliable Numenor).

So, as I see it, Sauron's greatest mistakes were underestimating Eru, underestimating the Numenoreans and not taking some spare Rings with him when he came to the island.
Gordis, I like this explanation very much. I also think the Gaffers’ ideas about the power of Numenor and the Men who ruled it are similar to what you are saying. Excellent answer.

Quote:
I also want to thank all the participants of this wonderful thread. I admire the spirit of politeness and friendliness of everybody here. No sneering or condescending remarks made, as it has happened a few times in other threads and happens all the time on some other Forums. Thank you guys! The Moot seems great again!
Ditto. I don’t think I could post in a place with an unfriendly/rude atmosphere. That isn’t a problem here. Thank you to everybody.