Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-15-2003, 01:16 AM   #1
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Brew

Ok its not mystery that theres a bunch of us rampant alcoholics as regulars on this message board. (Coney and Sween Im convinced Guinness there is different from Guinness here if youve never gotten drunk from it). And rather then have a discussion on alcohol "spill" out into the other threads as it usually does I figured Id start one where the kiddies wouldnt have to be spooked by the drinking talk. My question to you experienced drinkers is what kind of beer to do like wherever you are? Especially for those outside of the states. Personally I like decent German beer. The best stuff I can get here is like Paulaner and some others. But whats your poison of choice? And if you dont like beer what do you drink?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 03:23 AM   #2
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Have to say I'm more of a wine drinker (keep a very small and modest cellar), but I do enjoy beer. I try to stick to local microbrews. Thankfully, it's now possible to get decent beer that's made carefully and by small producers. I remember a time (I'm 40) when the only decent beer to be found was imported (I live in the US). Still have a nostalgic fondness for Pilsner Urquell -- the only beer my father would buy! I've travelled a bit in Europe, and certainly enjoyed German beer, but my favorite would have to be the Belgian Trappist beers.

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 03-15-2003 at 03:24 AM.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 03:42 AM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I don't really drink -b tu I loved going to the microbreweries in Oregon - particularly McMenamins

If you're ever in the Northwest - you'll have to check them out.

These were my favorite McMenamins Pubs -

Kennedy School - located in a historic school - classrooms converted into hotel rooms.
Edgefield - built in 1911 as the Multnomah County Poor Farm - includes hotel rooms, theater and more.
Barley Mill Pub - very northwest, all decorated in Grateful Dead memorabilia.

New Jersey has an old insane asylum that they're trying to come up with something to renovate it into. I've try to get them to do something similar to the Edgefield. McMenamins is a big thing in the Oregon and draws a lot of tourists, as well as locals.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-15-2003 at 03:47 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 05:22 AM   #4
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Harp is hands down my favorite
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 06:04 AM   #5
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Beer? Mostly Norwegian stuff. You've heard about Lysholmer, or Frydenlund? OK, didn't think so.

BTW, why can't a woman have a pint in England? It is, to be frank, a bit annoying.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

*hic*

Ah! Beer! The most single important discovery that separated us from the animals.

Yes, yes...I know there was that incident where some Ug smashed two rocks together and the spark set fire to his beard (dicovering fire) but what was so great about that?..Fire doesn't have the ability to change our conciousness does it

Drinks in order of preferance or occasion.

For relaxaing with (ie not to get nissed as a pewt on)-

Theakston's Bitter (very smooth, not too heavy on the alc. No noticable hangover).

Guiness Bitter (Much as the Theakston's).

Tetley's Smoothflow Bitter (Very weak in alc but with a very clean taste, handy if you need to fill up the fuel tank but still retain use of your faculties, I only rarely drink this).

Mackeson's Milk Stout (a very thick beer, the drinkers equivalent of Fruitcake in a can, you don't so much drink it as cut yourself a slice. Very filling, very good for you and absolutely delicious).

Guiness. ('nuff said, everyone knows this one).

Beamish Irish Stout (slightly sweeter taste than Guiness.)

Murphy's Irish Stout (slightly sweeter still).

Caffery's Irish Bitter (Gorgeous, sex in a can.....if only it had more alc then this would be my fave beer).

Drinks for getting drunk with.

Theakston's Old Peculiar (a very dark beer, tastes delicious, I have yet to go out on a session of OP and have the vaguest recollection of how I got home. A truimph of the science that is brewing. Very severe hangover).

Newcastle Brown Ale. (The only beer I have ever heard of that has it's own ward in Newcastle General Hospital, The stuff is damned addictive but it really messes up the ol' braincells, which is a shame because it's delicious. A strong beer which unless used carefully causes violent tendancies when drunk. I only drink this when I am on a 'suicide run'. Strangly, it has mild hangover effects).

McEwans Export. (My drink of choice 90% of the time. Rich, dark taste with a beautifully bitter aftertaste. Not overpowering on the alc but with enough kick to get the job done. Major hangover but the rewards slightly outweigh the punishment).

Well, that's my list of favourite malt ferments.......You'll notice that I don't drink any light beers (or lagers) that is because most light beers are brewed with the aid of chemicals.

I hope you all appreciate the years of research that went into compiling this list ......... hundreds of different beers were sampled as part of the elimination process...No, no, don't bother thanking me, it was my pleasure.

Quote:
BTW, why can't a woman have a pint in England? It is, to be frank, a bit annoying.
Thankfully that strange tradition is dying out now

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 09:07 AM   #7
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

i usually don't go for high graded beers, so for a special celebration Spaten is a very good choice.

But for dayly drinking, the best for me is Cruzcampo, our regional beer. there's nothing better when you're thisty.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:54 AM   #8
Artanis

Re: *hic*

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Thankfully that strange tradition is dying out now
Good! Then I might consider going back
Old 03-15-2003, 11:48 AM   #9
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

O nice to see this thread come up.

My good uncle owns an IMF (Indian made foreign liquor) company.

i'll get him to post here.

Last edited by congressmn : 03-15-2003 at 11:50 AM.
congressmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:35 PM   #10
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Re: Re: *hic*

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Good! Then I might consider going back
There will be a pint of Old Perculiar with ya name on it waiting for you

Quote:
i'll get him to post here.
It would be cool if he's willing to post......always interested in new drinks

And as I brew a lot of beers and wines meself, I'm sure to have a few questions for him

Beatallica
Old 03-15-2003, 01:19 PM   #11
Artanis

Mmmmm .....

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
There will be a pint of Old Perculiar with ya name on it waiting for you
I notice you classified that one as a getting-drunk-drink Might be fun *ignoring hangover warning*
Old 03-15-2003, 07:35 PM   #12
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

my friends dad owns this company called sleemans beers but i havent tried it yet
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 08:47 PM   #13
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

I cant say that I have a favorite beer. Being a college kid usually we take what we can get...anything! If I had my choice, I like Southern Comfort. Mainly b/c im used to it.
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 08:49 PM   #14
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebréiel
I cant say that I have a favorite beer. Being a college kid usually we take what we can get...anything! If I had my choice, I like Southern Comfort. Mainly b/c im used to it.
You have a beer called Southern Comfort?

The only Southern Comfort we have here is this weird blended whisky drink that tastes like perfume.

Beatallica
Old 03-15-2003, 09:08 PM   #15
Draken
Elf Lord

Coney - you ARE kidding right? All Theakston beers - but especially Old Pec - are shadows of themselves since S&N bought them out and transferred almost all production to Newcastle. For proper Theakston beers, you've got to try the Black Sheep beers that Paul Theakston brews in Masham just down the road from the old Theakstons brewery. They are all superb but Black Sheep Special is my favourite.

Malton Double Chance sticks in my mind as the best beer I've ever had. Brakspears Hop & Glory is fantastically bitter, and Hop Back Summer Lightning is still hard to beat. Then there's Shepherds Neame Spitfire and anything by the Durham brewery... basically I go for the bitter stuff. If it doesn't make a foreigner grimace, I probably don't like it!

Favourite lager would be Staropramen, I rate it higher than Budweiser (that's the proper Czech Budweiser, not the American one, which is easily one of the worst beers in the world). When working in America my life was saved by Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, one of the best pale ales I have come across.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 09:15 PM   #16
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Draken
Coney - you ARE kidding right? All Theakston beers - but especially Old Pec - are shadows of themselves since S&N bought them out and transferred almost all production to Newcastle. For proper Theakston beers, you've got to try the Black Sheep beers that Paul Theakston brews in Masham just down the road from the old Theakstons brewery. They are all superb but Black Sheep Special is my favourite.
This is true, but my beers for getting drunk on tend to be what the pub serves. Got Theakstons on draft and NBA and Export bottled.....

I think a lot of drinking is familiarity........five years ago my fave pint was Tetleys Magnet, but I ain't seen that for sale in a pub for ages

Beatallica
Old 03-15-2003, 09:17 PM   #17
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

My favorite is A&W Root Beer.

Not old enough to drink yet. I'll probably be more of a wine person when I am.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 09:24 PM   #18
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

I don't drink. (well not legally at least) j/k
Except for the occasional sip of wine, I really don't.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:26 PM   #19
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I dont know about you all but Im getting thirsty just reading this thread.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 09:27 PM   #20
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I like the Heineken or Moosehead. Blue and Canadian are acceptable. Strongbow is no beer but is good for tasting.

I'm a University student (i.e cheap). My friends drink 40s sometimes. That's bad stuff. Especially when mixed with the other substances we do