Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #61
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Lastly, I had such absurd thoughts during the battle. First, I did notice the parallel between the German bombing raid and the eagles dropping rocks.
Yeah-me too! What do you think was their intent? Because it was an obvious parallel. They used the exact same camera angles and everything.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #62
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Wait! I thought those were Griffens dropping the rocks!

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #63
inked
Elf Lord

I will watch for the griffins dropping rocks = Nazi bombers, but I do not think they were as parallel as you suggest. I have seen the film 5 times and have not yet been struck by that parallel.

Nurv, it's swallows that have problems with coconuts - a la Monty Python and THG. Griffins are lion bodied and eagle winged with eagle heads in the rendition in Narnia as produced. (Griffins, by the by, are Christ symbols in medieval literature, Lord of Heaven and Lord of Earth! So I thought the profusion of griffins was a bit much, but then again, I am the one seeing so many Christ symbols, aren't I? Did I mention Unicorns in that regard, yet? And the hippopatamus? etc. etc. etc.)

Tilda designed the gown she wore. Maybe she likes curtain rods? I thought the effect was quite well done, though. It helped establish her "otherness" much the way Wormtongue's shaved eyebrows did in LOTR.

In Peter's defence, I think he was less adjuring in the text. The movie "polished" up the disagreements so that movie audiences wouldn't miss it. But Peter is not quite the "git" you seem to think him. Please re-read the book to clarify that point. Also, in Edmund's case, they made him look worse as he tried to scare Lucy when he entered the wardrobe. This was screenwriter stuff to punch up the character so audiences couldn't miss the characterization.

I think on the whole, screenwriters and special effects and all, it was very well done and not overdone. I'd give them all five thumbs up - if I were a five-thumbed person!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #64
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Tilda designed the gown she wore. Maybe she likes curtain rods? I thought the effect was quite well done, though.
I absolutely LOVED the dress - until I got that side view, and my practical mind kept thinking, "I bet lots of stuff drops down her dress!"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #65
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Tilda designed the gown she wore. Maybe she likes curtain rods? I thought the effect was quite well done, though. It helped establish her "otherness" much the way Wormtongue's shaved eyebrows did in LOTR.
I liked the way she was wearing clumps of Aslan's fur in the battle... very snazzy.

Quote:
In Peter's defence, I think he was less adjuring in the text. The movie "polished" up the disagreements so that movie audiences wouldn't miss it. But Peter is not quite the "git" you seem to think him. Please re-read the book to clarify that point. Also, in Edmund's case, they made him look worse as he tried to scare Lucy when he entered the wardrobe. This was screenwriter stuff to punch up the character so audiences couldn't miss the characterization.
Indeed, film-makers never trust audiences to understand subtlety. I think on several occasions they were trying to show that Peter was taking his role as older brother very seriously and lording it over Edmund a bit (in the book, Edmund feels this and resents it, but the audience perhaps doesn't agree with him).
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #66
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Yeah-me too! What do you think was their intent? Because it was an obvious parallel. They used the exact same camera angles and everything.
They paralleled WW2 with the war in Narnia right through the film, e.g. Lucy telling Mr Tumnus about her father being at war just like his (or something), the children telling the beavers they've just escaped a war and don't want to be caught in another one etc. In fact, the film played up the WW2 angle from the beginning, whereas in the book it's just referred to in one matter-of-fact line, and is more a plot contrivance (to get kids alone to a place where they can have adventures) than a theme. The film used it as a foil to the war between good and evil in Narnia and as a way of encouraging the audience to take Narnia's problems seriously, rather than seeing it as a cute harmless fantasy land.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #67
inked
Elf Lord

I don't suppose they could have meant that all wars participate in the battle of good and evil in their own way, could they?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #68
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Yes, and the children get the chance to fight for the good instead of only being victims of war.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #69
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I absolutely LOVED the dress - until I got that side view, and my practical mind kept thinking, "I bet lots of stuff drops down her dress!"
But who knows how much stuff she NEEDS to drop down her dress, with that magic potion of hers....

Was it just me or did Peter call his own name when Edmund is wounded by the witch?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #70
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Yes, and the children get the chance to fight for the good instead of only being victims of war.

My, Sun-star, that sounds fantastically like JKR and HP. I mean, that people actually believe in the good and fight for it and that it is objectively existent and one may side with it (or against it).

Do you intend that individual's choices for good or against actually matter?

Hector, I think it was just you. I've seen it 5 times and not caught that! (Therefore, I must see it again!)

Last edited by inked : 01-10-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #71
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I know, isn't it shocking?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #72
inked
Elf Lord

Why, it's positively POSTMODERNLY SHOCKING, IT IS!!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #73
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

relatively speaking?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #74
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Also, I felt something was missing. Why was Lucy asleep during the air raid? Because no siren went off. Did London ever get caught completely by surprise like that? The transition from that scene to the kids at the train station was utter brilliance though.
Interesting that you mentioned that. I was curious about the children living in Finchley (it seemed a random choice...), so I looked it up and it turns out that Finchley was one of the targets of the first raid on London on 24th August 1940. So I think this is meant to have been the first raid and that's why the children a) hadn't been evacuated yet and b) were in bed when the bombs came. There was little warning.

Maybe that's reading too much into it - in which case it may just be enough to say that yes, London was often caught by surprise. Also there were other reasons why Lucy could have been asleep, such as that people wouldn't wake their children up for every air raid because there were often false alarms.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #75
inked
Elf Lord

Excellent facts and insight, Sun-star. Thanks for the information. I had meant to look up Finchley because I had puzzled why they mentioned it specifically. A tip of the bowler to you, My Lady!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #76
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I thought it was pretty good overall, but a few things really bothered me. Peter and Edmund were riding Unicorns and Talking Horses! That really annoyed me. Peter seemed kind of meaner in the movie than in the book to me too. Of course I loved Lucy, Aslan, the Centaurs and Fauns, and the White Witch. The scenery was beautiful too.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #77
Rían

but it says in the books that for special occasions and needs, horses and unicorns will allow this.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #78
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

But they didn't just ride them on special occasions or in great need in the movie. Why didn't they just ride regular horses? Talking Horses and Unicorns can fight perfectly well without someone on their back. This is just my opinion but I don't think training for battle or hunting is a good enough reason to ride one.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #79
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

yeah that bugged me too, not during the battle but during the hunt riding a talking horse for something recreational like hunting would be unthinkable. I hope they rectifie that problem in Horse and his Boy.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #80
Rían

unless they were friends, and Phillip (IIRC, that was his name) liked going hunting with Edward.

I can see the riding for the war (and necessarily, then, for the training, too), but I think the hunt scene was only in it for the Hollywood "fun" line.

But I see what you guys are saying, and I agree in general.