Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2005, 11:11 PM   #41
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

Very good movie! Although Susan wasn't as well done as, say, Lucy or Peter. Loved the huge battle at the end (you know, they used the same software to animate it as they did for LOTR!), especially Orieus with his two swords....SWEET!
I agree that some moments could have been done better, and a few parts somewhat seemed like LOTR...like the waterfall collapse was similar to Ford of Brunien...but a very good movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
When I saw the four of them hunting the stag I thought that Sean Bean would have been quite good to play an older Peter. What do you think?
Mmm...maybe. I'd have Boromir going through my head though-I'll never be able to see any of the LOTR actors as anyone else, I think.

P.S. My sister thinks Tumnus looked like tobyMac
EDIT: I just thought of this: did anyone think the Minotaur's weapon looked suspiciously like some of the orc halberds glimpsed in LOTR?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)

Last edited by Curubethion : 12-30-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #42
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I am going to see it, given opportunity. Is it too bombastic along the lines of PJ's LOTR-movies or is a totally different kind of movie?

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 12-30-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #43
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
I am going to see it, given opportunity. Is it too bombastic along the lines of PJ's LOTR-movies or is a totally different kind of movie?
I do not consider the movie to be "too bombastic" (ie ala LOTR) if I understand you correctly. It fits the book well, although I do not remember many of the details from the book.

In a way the movie just continues to build in intensity with little drop offs.

I think that if you remember the books very well you will have more issues with the film. Much less than LOTR, but you will still have some issues.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:00 PM   #44
inked
Elf Lord

Here's the current state of the Lion versus the Ape.....

http://www.narniafans.com/?id=710

I, of course, am placing myself on the side of the Lion !
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:51 PM   #45
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Saw it tonight with my husband and want to see it again real soon. It's definitely a movie I want to buy. Thought it was mostly faithful to the book, but I haven't read it in a couple of years so can't really compare. Except for that river scene. Couldn't resist leaning over and tellling DH: "THAT wasn't in the book! (Can't wait to get the books back from my friend. She, her daughter and husband are all reading the series. Thought they would have been finished before now ) Was quite impressed with the children.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #46
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I saw it on Sunday.

I loved the way the characters were played. The atten to detail was great. The bluebottle fly in the window, the books on tumnus' shelf. The river scene was unnessery, imo. Jadis was quite intimidating. As was Orieus. I wouldn't want to get on his bad side . Aslan's death wasn't graphic and was fairly short. The battle scene was great. The phenoix caught me by surprise. The rock dropping by the Griffins was something I didn't expect at all. (Btw, they were very cool looking). The coroination of the children was incredable. all in all it was a great movie that I now cannot wait until it comes out on video.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #47
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
I saw it on Sunday.

I loved the way the characters were played. The atten to detail was great. The bluebottle fly in the window, the books on tumnus' shelf. The river scene was unnessery, imo. Jadis was quite intimidating. As was Orieus. I wouldn't want to get on his bad side . Aslan's death wasn't graphic and was fairly short. The battle scene was great. The phenoix caught me by surprise. The rock dropping by the Griffins was something I didn't expect at all. (Btw, they were very cool looking). The coroination of the children was incredable. all in all it was a great movie that I now cannot wait until it comes out on video.
The Books on Tumnus' shelf. Yes, I noticed one called "Man is a myth".

i finally watched it on Saturday.
I have a few squabbles, but overall I was satisfied. Edmund and Lucy were done very well, and Mr Tumnus also.
A lot of Beaver jokes...but ehhh...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #48
inked
Elf Lord

Good news on the sequel front!

http://www.narniafans.com/?id=720

This should be really good if LWW is any prognosticator!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #49
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
The bluebottle fly in the window, the books on tumnus' shelf.
I enjoyed all those little tributes to the book readers, too. For some reason, that bluebottle fly has always stuck in my mind - just one of those visual details that make a book seem more real.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #50
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Haven't read the books in a long ime, but I'm hoping to read them again soon. And I'm off the see the film again tomorrow.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #51
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I enjoyed all those little tributes to the book readers, too. For some reason, that bluebottle fly has always stuck in my mind - just one of those visual details that make a book seem more real.
It one of those things I think really only the ones who have read the books will notice

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #52
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Narnia stole the throne form Kong, once again! Bravo Pevensies! Long Live Aslan!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #53
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

This really sounds like a movie I'd want to see! I'll just plug my ears during the Beaver jokes.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #54
inked
Elf Lord

Nominated for score...relations to LOTR and its score...

http://www.tracksounds.com/specialfe...n_williams.htm

Old 01-09-2006, 04:03 AM   #55
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

In which Mrs. Pevensie realizes her children weren't paying attention during bombing raid drills, and sends them to the country to stay with a distant relation...

I have seen the greatness that is this movie, and I loved it!

SPOILERS FOLLOW

- The melting river/waterfall thing scene was dumb, but whatever. (The sword in the ice?)
- And I swear the reindeer's legs were white when Santa (who we thought was the white witch) was "chasing" the Pevensies and the Beavers. But whatever.
- And plus, and this is the last thing, the timing around the Wolves and the tunnel out of the Beavers' house seemed... odd. (Our heroes seemed to escape in the nick of time in the most convenient ways. Maybe the Wolves came down with a case of Villainitis*?)

*When villains are struck with a bout of incompetance when the heroes need to escape/win a fight/etc.

Those are my only nitpicks. I just wanted to get them out of the way.

Now on to why I loved this movie.

1. Aslan. He was incredible! Aslan was so real looking and yet larger-than-life. Liam Neeson was perfectly cast as his voice. Aslan was perfect!

2. The Pevensies. I loved all four of these brilliantly-acted wonderful children. They weren't just plot advancers. I really felt for them, especially Edmund and Susan. I think those two had the hardest time of it. I thought Lucy was incredibly endearing and awesome. Peter was cool.

3. Narnia. What a beautiful place! They did just a brilliant job on the scenery and all its inhabitants.

3.A. Especially Mr. Tumnus!! He was brilliantly acted and costumed. And the centaurs! And the minotaur general of the bad guys!

4. The White Witch. The quality of the villain can make or break a movie. Jadis was so incredibly awesome, she enhanced the depth and brilliance of this movie a huge amount. (By the way Jadis, you're supposed to take the hanger out of the dress before you put it on.)
She was just so awesomely badass she was a joy to watch. Only the White Witch can pull off lifting a manacled Edmund off the ground with one hand, wearing a dress of chain mail, and wielding two swords with ease. (And if you've read The Magician's Nephew you'll know why. ) Jadis was extremely great. (Was that Cate Blanchett? First a good powerful queen, then and evil powerful queen. That will look good on her resumé. )

END SPOILERS
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-09-2006, 11:23 AM   #56
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv,

Your appreciation is obviously shared:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1001807710

Old 01-09-2006, 03:54 PM   #57
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Nurv-Tilda Swinton played Jadis. Cate Blanchett played Galadriel.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #58
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I agree with your first and third nitpick, Nurv (didn't notice the second), and the Jadis dress thing (reminds me of a Carol Burnett takeoff of Gone with the Wind, where she forgets to take the curtain rod out of the fabric when she makes the dress out of the curtains ). I loved her snowflaky-cruddy eyelashes, too - did you notice that?

We might see it again this weekend, the kids want to. I've seen it twice now (once with a girls' night out with my sis-in-law, and once with my family). Hmm, just got a better idea - my bday is Saturday - I think maybe I'll see if hubby can take the kiddos to go see it, while I go kid-less shopping for a nice bday outfit ...

I liked the general look of Narnia, too - nice and green (when it wasn't frozen). I liked Tumnus in general, but to me, his movement was awkward sometimes, although I loved the little stampy-foot thing he did to get the snow off. He had a great expression when he said "I'm doing it now," or whatever - i.e., I"m betraying you now.

I'm looking forward to more movies! They better make Dawn Treader!!!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 01-09-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #59
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
Nurv-Tilda Swinton played Jadis. Cate Blanchett played Galadriel.
Whoops. Well, maybe Cate Blanchett has the whole powerful queen thing going on?? Tilda Swinton was excellent anyway. Excellent!! <3

I'll read your link later Inked, now I have class (in 10 mins).

R*an, about your earlier post with the book-references, did you guys notice "Man, Myth or Reality" (<- I forget the exact title) on the bookshelf? That was AWESOME! I love whoever made this movie.

I really loved Edmund in the movie as well. I also felt more sympathy towards him in the movie than I did in the book. I think part of this is due to Peter being a bigger git in this movie.

For example, Peter says something like "No, until now I would say Lucy is the more truthful person" to the Professor in the book, but in the movie he says that this would be the "first time" Edmund has told the truth. That's a little harsh Peter, and it's not like Edmund doesn't notice your attitude. Git.

Oh, something I forgot to add about the first scene. My impressions... of Mrs. Pevensie. If two of my (hypothetical) kids ran back to the house during an air raid, I would have been after them before they could blink and they would have found themselves under my arm like I was that long-armed orc and they were Merry and Pippin.

Also, I felt something was missing. Why was Lucy asleep during the air raid? Because no siren went off. Did London ever get caught completely by surprise like that? The transition from that scene to the kids at the train station was utter brilliance though.

Lastly, I had such absurd thoughts during the battle. First, I did notice the parallel between the German bombing raid and the eagles dropping rocks. Secondly, I thought, "Good thing those are magical birds," immediately followed by "Look, a five ounce bird can't carry a one pound coconut!"

Oh my brain.
Quote:
Old 01-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #60
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
R*an, about your earlier post with the book-references, did you guys notice "Man, Myth or Reality" (<- I forget the exact title) on the bookshelf?
Yes - I enjoyed all those little book tie-ins very much!

Quote:
Secondly, I thought, "Good thing those are magical birds," immediately followed by "Look, a five ounce bird can't carry a one pound coconut!"
Good point! I hadn't thought of that .... But muscle-power must account for something, for birds of prey carry their prey, don't they? I never thought of the relative weights before, though - rats, now it will bug me!