Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #21
azalea
Long lost mooter

My son now wants Turkish Delight for Christmas -- no idea where I'd get some!

When I read the books originally, I was in 4th grade, and I had a crush on Edmund, not Peter -- typical of me to pick the "villain!" But I think it was due to the fact that I always love the outcast/ underdog AND the fact that he goes through such a powerful transformation, making him more thoughtful and sensitive.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #22
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I don't think you can get Turkish Delight in the US except in specialty import stores. But something similar is "Applets and Cotlets"--fairly inexpensive and found in most grocery stores.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #23
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

make it yourself!

most cities (i know in boston at least), have middle eastern restaurants that often sell it... along with baklava (my favorite)
Old 12-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #24
azalea
Long lost mooter

Thanks for the suggestions!
I think I'll try making it!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:13 AM   #25
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Just got back from seeing it with the whole family - the kids loved it! And I enjoyed seeing it again. My oldest son loved the Peter/witch fight, altho he was convinced he could have done a better job ... he was showing me the moves he thought Peter should have done. (boys! love 'em!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:16 AM   #26
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Saw it the other night with W.O. It was shiney...Though I didnt like what they did to the witch...Blah! Washed out skin with blond dreadlocks just dont work! She needed her contrast! But other than that, its pretty good.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #27
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

I saw the new movie yesterday and I think they lord-of-the-ringsed it... but not as much
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #28
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

No--I have to agree with him, Rian! Peter should have dropped his british notion of being a gentleman and just kicked her butt .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:39 AM   #29
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yeah, there were lots of moments that seemed to be copied from LOTR.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #30
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

what I mean is they messed around with the little detales that drive me crazy, just like they did to LOTR
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:42 PM   #31
inked
Elf Lord

Yes, minor muddling is annoying, and they did get in bit much beaver gab (but within the parameters of the text, it was acceptable - just a bit much), and the fights were a bit long, and the river scene was pure Hollywood.

Peter's ambivalence about the sword was consistent with the text though much over-emphasized, IMHO.

On the whole, I'd say it was more faithful than LOTR.

The Blitz scene was accurately done according to a survivor who was 4 - 5 yrs old at the time (only a year younger than Lucy!). She said she had to look away because of the intensity of the memories it engendered. But she agreed that it was essential for the audiences of today who had not experienced it to understand the evacuation policy.

more later ... duty calls me away!

edit: http://www.narniafans.com/?id=678 NOMINATIONS, London Film Critics

http://www.narniafans.com/?id=680 Nominations, Academy Awards "Achievement in Visual Effects"

So, some folks are looking at this as a noteworthy production. I would have to agree!

I have only been to see it three times so far and it has held up well !
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 12-19-2005 at 12:55 PM.
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #32
luvEyowen
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

Saw it Friday and all I have to say is CCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL
luvEyowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #33
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
what I mean is they messed around with the little detales that drive me crazy, just like they did to LOTR
oh, I see.

But they also seemed to copy how some moments were staged from LOTR, too - there were at least 4 or 5 that looked exactly like LOTR, such as the bad bull guy standing up on the rock while you can't see the rest of the army, etc.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:18 PM   #34
inked
Elf Lord

Yes, Rian, there were overlapping representations and images, but that was to be expected given the genre of mythic populations.

Rather than to note only similarities betwixt LOTR and CON:LWW, I enjoyed putting names to the creatures shown. They left out the witch's list as it is in the text when she tells whom to call for her army. But I think the chaps with the staffs at the four corners of the Stone Table were "people of the toadstools". They have a mushroom-y and wet appearance and the twinkle of the light on the drop of mucus glistening on the tip of one's nose is a perfect touch for a "person of the toadstool".

I also liked the Minotaur and the cyclops. In general, I thought the menagerie of myth was well done by WETA. I charged off the resemblances as inevitable, not because of lack of originality on WETA's part, but because there are only so many ways to represent a centaur, griffin, minotaur, etc.

I'll see it again, no doubt.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:44 PM   #35
Rían

No, I'm not being clear - I don't mean characters, I mean actual positions on the screen that these characters are taking. I felt like several times, one could have yelled "Freeze frame!" and cut out the Narnia people and substituted LOTR people and it would have been the LOTR movie

Old 12-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #36
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Yes, I noticed that too RÃ*an. I would have thought they'd want to avoid those kind of similarities, but apparently not...

*eating chocolate-covered turkish delight*
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:04 AM   #37
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Saw it last night and loved it. I haven't read the books in years and seeing it really makes me want to read them again. I loved the Peter/Witch fight, although if I was Peter I'd have killed here when she was looking at Aslan.
When I saw the four of them hunting the stag I thought that Sean Bean would have been quite good to play an older Peter. What do you think?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #38
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star

*eating chocolate-covered turkish delight*
*mutters* boastful blackguard....

Well, I havent seen it yet. From what I've heard it does stay very close to the book, at least more than LotR, which is goods news, because its shouldnt hard to keep close since the book isnt even half the length of FotR.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:04 PM   #39
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
*mutters* boastful blackguard....

Well, I havent seen it yet. From what I've heard it does stay very close to the book, at least more than LotR, which is goods news, because its shouldnt hard to keep close since the book isnt even half the length of FotR.
I thought the movie is very good. (I will need to reread the books since I do not remembermost of the details, just the general story. )

I think the witch was very well done. (especially with her height.)

I think the movie may not be appropriate for some younger viewers. (especially IMO with the final battle and Aslan walking to his apparent doom at the stone altar.)

One minor quibble I have is the way that Edmound left for the Witch's castle.
I do not think the movie impressed well enough how the witch affected edmound with her magic candy. The movie left me wondering why he left his siblings.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #40
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
oh, I see.

But they also seemed to copy how some moments were staged from LOTR, too - there were at least 4 or 5 that looked exactly like LOTR, such as the bad bull guy standing up on the rock while you can't see the rest of the army, etc.
And the part when Edmund is going into the witch's castle, looks like the part in TTT...or something like that, just rang a bell from LOTR.

I think they could have done the death scene of Aslan better. It was nowhere as dramatic as I remember it in the book. I *loved* lucy and tumnus though. lol Is it strange that I think without the makeup I think he would be pretty cute?