Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-22-2001, 07:49 PM   #21
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I think it's really funny how it's being called a "discreet strategy" to remove the Christian references. How can this possibly be done in a discreet fashion?
Although when I read the series I didn't know that there was any Christian reference...even though I went to a Catholic school. It's just once you know that it's based on Christianity that these things really pop out, so I wouldn't consider anything all that "direct" a reference.

Honestly, I don't see why anyone would bother to do this. Nobody is going to buy this updated versions as long as the "real thing" is still around. Let's hope harper collins loses massive amounts of money on this. Then maybe they'll have learned their lesson.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:37 PM   #22
sepulchrave
Enting

abominations are at the door

In the name of Aslan, and all thats holy in this world and the next, this nonsense, if true, must be opposed by every loyal reader of quality high fantasy. This is censorship in disguise.
Under no circumstances are we to remain idle, or underestimate the enemy. For Harper-Collins and the like, the works of Tolkien and Lewis (they control both to a great degree) are product to be pumped into the gaping maw of the marketplace, fodder shovelled incessantly without regard for content or literary value to the consumer. Gross margins and Profit-Loss statements at quarter-end are the altars at which the wormtongues of commerce worship, and vast publishing firms are no exception.
The elimination of "distasteful" references to the most "unfashionable" faith around are of paramount importance to certain individuals and groups, some of whom have a vested interest in the progress and success of commercial enterprises such as publishing houses, and if the warlocks in control feel that a Christian undertone is either "undesirable" or "politically incorrect", the necessary changes will surely be made. C.S. Lewis is probably looking down and laughing, a read of "That Hideous Strength" or "Perelandra" would soon sort the orcs out.
We have grown to love and treasure these magnificent works as something dear to our hearts. Our battered or pristine copies, hardcover or paperback, falling apart or taped in ingenious ways, do not get thrown away like some other less valuable tomes...memories are wound up in them. Opening a page sends the mindseye over vast distant vistas of lofty peaks, deep haunted woods and suntipped spires barely discernable on the far misty horizon, emblazoned golden with the fading gleam of a dying sun. Will we take the time to do something about this travesty, or shall the glory fade, like the elves were destined to do? Will children pick up a book about Lucy and a Lion, years from now and have that same thrill inside?
I believe that it is up to us now, in this generation, to make a sincere effort to challenge the forces that threaten to unravel the legacy of these great writers in the name of corporate enrichment and shareholder satisfaction. All things that are pure shall be under attack soon in the name of the "recognition of the need to encourage diversity and remove archaic divisive elements" , or "editing where deemed appropriate to appeal to the modern enlightened reader" or some such claptrap. Lewis was more than aware of this danger, and spoke strongly against it in all its forms. The mighty message, partially hidden within the Narnia chronicles, deserves to be protected, for the benefit of generations of young people to come. It was always a great fear of mine as a reader, that Disney would get a grip on The Lord of the Rings or Narnia and twist the life out of them, fortunately that has not yet occured, but this plot is a grave folly, and souls will pay for it, literally.
Reader, please do not disregard this if you value the integrity of these great works, and especially if the message of life within is of importance to you. I encourage people of all faiths, who love these books to email Harper Collins Publishing and express your disapproval of this Wickedness, if indeed they are planning such a diabolical strategy.... Remember Heidi? well the Heidi that your grandparents knew was a very different book to the one available today, and the same can be said for many books in which certain themes became "unfashionable" or "distateful", to those with influence over the texts....
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:01 AM   #23
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Hmm...
I'm just amused by thing whole thing. Any idea when they are going to come out.
In the end, I doubt publisher are interested in a sweeping strategy to purge non PC references. They are probably interested in profits. The strategy is probably that by removing Christian stuff, they can sell the book to non-Christian and therefore turn a higher profit. But since lots of non-Christians already read this book and are not terribly offended by it, I don't see the point. (Ok. So even as a child I found the portrayal of the pseudo-Arabian Calormenes a little...umm...skewed. Transparently so. And I didn't know what PC was yet. But in general, it's nothing to get all huffy about.) What will probably happen is nobody will buy the "fake" version, the company will lose money, and it will be a while before anyone tries a stunt like that. These things tend to have a way of righting themselves.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:18 AM   #24
sepulchrave
Enting

Thankfully, I just recieved this via Email:
Thank you for your note expressing your concerns about the C.S. Lewis
publishing program at HarperCollins Publishers. Much of the recent media
coverage has misrepresented our position, and we value the opportunity to
send you our comments.

The goal of HarperCollins Publishers and the owners and managers of the C.S.
Lewis Estate has always been to publish the works of C.S. Lewis to the
broadest possible audience, and to leave the interpretation of the works to
the reader. And, we have stated clearly that the works of C.S Lewis will
continue to be published by HarperCollins as written by the author, with no
alteration.

HarperCollins is committed to maintaining the integrity of Lewis's works and
has the greatest respect for his legacy. We are privileged to be the
English-language publisher of many of his major works and our respect for
his legacy will continue to influence our Lewis publishing program and any
future related projects.

We appreciate you taking the time to write to us.

-----Original Message-----
From: flypaperforfreaks@shaw.ca [mailto:flypaperforfreaks@shaw.ca]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 9:28 PM
To: orders@harpercollins.com
Subject: the legacy of Clive Staples Lewis

I have heard that your firm has plans to alter or rewrite the Narnia
Chronicles to eliminate the references to Christianity. This idea, you will
dearly pay for. Such a ridiculous and, dare I say, EVIL concept will not
prosper. I was concerned when you swallowed George Allen & Unwin, as to what
your plans were for Tolkien, and when you got your slimy claws on Lewis I
knew such a travesty could not be far away. Perhaps it would enlighten you
to actually read "That Hideous Strength" to educate yourselves about the
works of darkness, and how you as a publisher are apparently in the vanguard
of such base corruption. You have a responsibility to the legacy of a great
man to refrain from this abomination, and leave great works alone, to stand
by themselves, unaltered. I heartily warn you that if this diabolical plot
is carried out, no books published by you or your affiliated publishing
houses will ever cross my threshold, and I will do all in my power to
dissuade everyone I know from giving you any custom whatsoever. This is a
profoundly wicked plan, and the individuals responsible should be ashamed of
themselves. If carried out, My prayer is that the souls of such decievers
shall find no rest, in this world, or the next. Please feel free to respond.
yours with trepidation under the mercy, GJ Parker
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:09 AM   #25
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Oh good.

So now I wonder where the media got it's information that it misrepresented.
But I was right about trying to sell to as many people as possible. hehe..
Thanks sepulchrave! That things up for now.