Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth > UT Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post

2. How much is Ulmo the force behind Tuor's decisions? If not for Ulmo, would Tuor have sought Turgon at all, just for the debt he might have had to Tuor's father?
I'm not sure that I really have an opinion about whether he would have or not, but I think without Ulmo's assistance he would either not have found the gates (without Voronwe being sent to guide him), or if he had found the gates the elves who guarded them would have killed him as an intruder.
Very good point - it wouldn't have helped even if he had sought Turgon on his own, if he had never found it or had not been admitted.
Quote:
This could have been almost a direct influence by Ulmo, to not only guide him to the armor but also guide him to put it on.
When the armor is made, Turgon is told exactly what size to make it - as another sign to prove that the right person is wearing it. Ulmo knows long in advance what is going to happen - he's very much behind all this.
Quote:
I think it might be fair to say that the elves have a general distrust, or are at least wary, of humans. Is there a fear that the hearts of men can be turned too easily, and that a human/mortal could be turned to betray them where an elf would be less likely to do so?
It could well be so - and they have just seen such a betrayal in the latest battle, where the betrayal by the mortals was probably why they lost the battle.
Quote:
12. Do they see Tuor's position as son of Huor as less important than his task as messenger of Ulmo?

I feel like they might be related. I think because Tuor is the son of a mighty man, Huor, that might be why Ulmo chose him. But I'm not sure that his father has much to do with him honestly... he never knew his father or mother, but it seems like he's been guided by Ulmo for years.

Could his orphaning be a direct attempt by Tolkien to release him from any responsibility to lineage? As an orphan, it seems like he's free to become more devoted entirely to doing the task Ulmo sets him.
Very interesting about Tuor being left alone for such a fate - by Tolkien, but perhaps through him also by Ulmo? There must have been guidance by Ulmo that Tuor has not been aware of, but which is there nevertheless.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote