Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:21 PM   #22
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Hey - I like that one much better. Instead of getting rid of the rollyeyes - can we replace it with the animated one? It would be so much more effective in getting across how one TRULY feels than just that old boring static one.
Yes... I originally thought that our static guy was some sort of half smile...

Of course, we can always use this if we don't like someone's post:

And, of course, if we think that our own posts are deserving of praise...

[edited] Honestly, what's the point of removing it when you can just go off and find even more offensive ones?

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 02-25-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:08 AM   #23
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Done you mean "Whatever... "?
No, actually I mean "whatever ... "

It makes me sad when people attack each other. My "whatever" was resignation to the fact that even if the rolly-eyed smilie is gone, people will still attack each other. At least it doesn't happen very often at Entmoot, thanks to our mods.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 04:30 AM   #24
Millane
The Dude

yeah i vote we replace the rolleyes smilie with PiL's wanking smilie its awesome....
Old 02-26-2005, 05:29 AM   #25
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Good grief.

It's not like emoticons are an essential part of a message board. The only reason that we have a graphical '' is that people have been using the textual ': )' for years if not decades.

As far as 'this smiley gets overused at Entmoot' - well, you may argue that that's an issue of misuse, but really it isn't. In western culture, at least, this expression ( ) is used to indicate irony or sarcasm in something you're saying, or sometimes to indicate dissaproval (especially in a condescending way: 'not only do I dissaprove, but I can't believe that you're stupid enough to feel otherwise').

If you feel that it's being overused in that that sense, that's not a commentary on the emoticon itself so much as it is on the denizens of entmoot - that people have problems getting along with others, dissagreeing without being insulting, or wahtever.

Personally, I find it ironic that several people bring up (or have brought up at other times) something to the effect of 'this is such a nice board' (i.e. Nurvingel's 'not that a flame war would happen here' or R*an's 'people don't attack each other very often here, thanks to the mods'). I've always felt that Entmoot is substantially less friendly than many other boards I've been a part of over the years. To be honest the veneer of civility runs extremely thin on this forum most of the time.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:22 AM   #26
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemm*rë
Honestly, what's the point of removing it when you can just go off and find even more offensive ones?
The point is that people are lazy. They won't go off to find a sarcastic smiley if it doesn't contribute to their post. As a result, people will roll their eyes less and their posts will seem friendlier.

All I'm asking is if the admins and mods could maybe discuss this. I know Fat middle was interested in deleting the smiley before.
I mean it's their job to keep the board in as good shape as possible and that smiley isn't helping. Just look at the political threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
In western culture, at least, this expression ( ) is used to indicate irony or sarcasm in something you're saying, or sometimes to indicate dissaproval (especially in a condescending way: 'not only do I dissaprove, but I can't believe that you're stupid enough to feel otherwise).
So my advice is to make it a tiny bit harder to indicate your disapproval. Take away the smiley and people will leave out the "I can't believe that you're stupid enough to feel otherwise" more often.

Quote:
If you feel that it's being overused in that that sense, that's not a commentary on the emoticon itself so much as it is on the denizens of entmoot - that people have problems getting along with others, dissagreeing without being insulting, or wahtever.
Very true.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:39 AM   #27
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
All I'm asking is if the admins and mods could maybe discuss this. I know Fat middle was interested in deleting the smiley before.
I mean it's their job to keep the board in as good shape as possible and that smiley isn't helping. Just look at the political threads.
We're discussing it in the Mod's. Just waiting to have enough responses on that thread to decide.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:46 AM   #28
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Goody
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:01 AM   #29
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
So my advice is to make it a tiny bit harder to indicate your disapproval. Take away the smiley and people will leave out the "I can't believe that you're stupid enough to feel otherwise" more often.
This comment still stings, with or without the rolleyes smilie.

Plus, if it gets deleted, wouldn't all the posts who had previously used the smilie have this in place? :rolleyes:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:53 PM   #30
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
The point is that people are lazy. They won't go off to find a sarcastic smiley if it doesn't contribute to their post. As a result, people will roll their eyes less and their posts will seem friendlier.
It won't effect me any - since I hand type . And I can continue to do it.

It's funny - before I ever used the smilie - no one had any problems with it. of course that was when it was used in almost every post against me though. And by the way - I can host my own rollyeyes - I personally like the animated one. I'll just post an [img] tag.

Ooooh look - this is the one from my messageboard - along with this one

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-27-2005 at 12:04 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:46 AM   #31
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I usually hand type too... quicker that way...

Quote:
And by the way - I can host my own rollyeyes - I personally like the animated one. I'll just post an [img] tag.

Ooooh look - this is the one from my messageboard - along with this one
hm... speaking of the tags, do they work in the Tolkien forum also? I tried to link a picture to the MoS thread once, and failed miserably...

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #32
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
hm... speaking of the tags, do they work in the Tolkien forum also? I tried to link a picture to the MoS thread once, and failed miserably...
Yep, they work. Just not the IMG tag. See this thread for more info about why.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:32 PM   #33
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
Yep, they work. Just not the IMG tag. See this thread for more info about why.
So you can't use your own smilies there. Ah well, if we get rid of it.... I think :rolleye: works as well as

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-28-2005, 05:13 AM   #34
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I'd like to keep the please. Actually I should use it more often, directed to myself.

Sarcastic comments are still sarcastic, with or without the rolleyes.

Last edited by Artanis : 02-28-2005 at 05:14 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #35
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
I'd like to keep the please. Actually I should use it more often, directed to myself.

Sarcastic comments are still sarcastic, with or without the rolleyes.
My thoughts exactly.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:51 PM   #36
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Quote:
It has been suggested before and I’m asking again – can’t we remove the rolleye smiley?

I think the smiley is being overused on Entmoot and that it’s taking away some of the friendly atmosphere of the board. People could still roll their eyes at others (by typing *rolls eyes* or similar) however they wouldn’t do it as often if the smiley disappeared. I see people using the smiley whenever someone disagrees with their posts and that’s not what the smiley is meant for imo. In many (if not most) cases, the smiley shows disrespect to the previous poster and is nothing but an unkind conclusion in a post that would do much better anyway without the smiley.

If people need to somehow show that they’re being sarcastic, there is the and smileys. The FAQ even suggests the latter - “For example, if you entered a sarcastic comment, rather than type 'that was a joke', you could simply insert the 'wink' smilie.”

No "" --> less people rolling their eyes --> no more unecessary rolling eyes.
I think such a change would make this board better and a little nicer.

Could the admins please discuss this with each other?
This is an real idea...
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:54 PM   #37
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
This is an real idea...
No. We're just discussing it for the fun of arguing.

Neil Gaiman
Old 03-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #38
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

It would be interesting if we changed the necessary text for the smilies. Instead of people typing :rolleyes: we should make the code something more like :understand: :agree: or :respect: . Then the button for it could be hidden in the expandable list through the "more" link at the bottom of the smilies box. People would be reluctant to use it.

But we don't have a link there, I realized mid-post. Didn't we used to?

What we need is an expandable list, for starters.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:53 AM   #39
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Quote:
No. We're just discussing it for the fun of arguing.

Oh
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #40
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Personally, I find it ironic that several people bring up (or have brought up at other times) something to the effect of 'this is such a nice board' (i.e. Nurvingel's 'not that a flame war would happen here' or R*an's 'people don't attack each other very often here, thanks to the mods'). I've always felt that Entmoot is substantially less friendly than many other boards I've been a part of over the years. To be honest the veneer of civility runs extremely thin on this forum most of the time.
That is because (believe it or not) this is not essentially a fanboy/fangirl board. We don't gather here together today to discuss Legolas' (supposedly) beautiful long golden hair. It's pretty obvious that most of us hang out in GM, which is mostly used as a battleground, and a most powerful outlet for the rolleyes smiley.
And I disagree about the veneer. A lot of the 'Moot is inhabited by persons with a bit more sophistication than fanboy boards. I've never known a mooter yet that has left entmoot of his/her own freewill. Even Elfhelm returned for awhile!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 03-03-2005 at 08:03 PM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote