Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Feedback and Tech Problems
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2004, 04:05 AM   #1
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

0 Posts

I know that this is a hot topic issue but I feel that there are way to many one time only people in here. People come to Entmoot, register a name, and then never use it. I feel that some of the older Non-Posters be removed from the members lists. Perhaps setting a return alowence date. Return within X months and you will still have a name, after this time it will be scrapped for other potential posters. I origionaly was going to make my handle "Halbarad" nothing more I could not use it and after posting I have come to realize the person with this name does not post at all... ever. I have been on another board's "committee" so I understand that a huge list of people, active or no, attracts people to the boards somewhat. I feel this is such a minor plus that some names should be made free. I checked and there are over 30 pages of unactive users under the post count of 0! Thats not 30 users, 30pages of users! Not sure if this will ever be resolved but, I made my feelings public... thats my 2 cents, have a nice day.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:19 PM   #2
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I have a dilema, and that is going with what you say and against. For what you say, I think it would be a great idea to keep posters posting. I have to say that it wouldn't be the best, since some people at 100, 200+ come back after months, and lately there have been quite a few examples of that. I think that it would lessen crowding if the people that never psot were deleted, at least if they haven't been on, but people that have 1+ post stay.
However, I'm not sure if ti is possible, but since my boards are'nt with vB, I don't know.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

My main beef is with the 0 posters that have never posted and from the looks of it never will! Come on... 30+ pages, 22 names on each, with 0 posts! Thats 660 people that are just regestering and leaving. Perhaps there should be a 1000 post non deleting idea. If you have more than 1k posts you wont be deleted by any time limit, 500 or less deleted after 3 months or so[of inactivity], and anyone who hasent posted even once[total post count of Zero], in one month is deleted. Dunno if it's possible, but for some reason the mass 0's bug me.

Old 09-30-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
My main beef is with the 0 posters that have never posted and from the looks of it never will! Come on... 30+ pages, 22 names on each, with 0 posts! Thats 660 people that are just regestering and leaving. Perhaps there should be a 1000 post non deleting idea. If you have more than 1k posts you wont be deleted by any time limit, 500 or less deleted after 3 months or so[of inactivity], and anyone who hasent posted even once[total post count of Zero], in one month is deleted. Dunno if it's possible, but for some reason the mass 0's bug me.
I have to disagree with the 3 months of inactivity for 500- posts. If that had been put into affect before I joined, I wouldn't be here right now.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:04 AM   #5
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Maybe you only get on the List and actually properly register after you have made a post.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 04:16 AM   #6
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Maybe you only get on the List and actually properly register after you have made a post.
But that idea would just create 30 pages of 1 posters and never returning! I think after a long period of inactivity one deserves to be cut. If you really like you name that much, if you really enjoy Entmoot that much, then come back! Is that so hard?

Old 10-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #7
Telcontar_Dunedain

Maybe after a certain amount of time the account doesn't show up on the lists and then after anoher amount of time it is deleted.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 10-01-2004, 06:05 PM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'm with you Halbarad, it just seems wrong that a name like Frodo or whatever could be held by someone who doesn't want to be here. (I don't know if that's the case - just an example.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
Perhaps there should be a 1000 post non deleting idea.
whew... i'm safe for the moment
Old 10-02-2004, 04:15 AM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It's not so much the lack of posting that bugs me, it's more that they may have hogged a really cool user-name that someone can't use cos they've feckin' hogged it, and not even bothered posting!

*hugs* Glad you decided to come back, Tom!
Old 10-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #11
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

hmm interesting question.

maybe we could just have people request some of the "cool" names they want and give them those or just delete all the "cool" and "popular" usernames so that people could register them again.

Even just talking about people who registered but have 0 or 1 posts, that is what (unless my math is really off) about 1000 members? And the 0 posters by themselves about 750 (again, unless my math is way off which it very well could be).

I don't know if this matters to entmoot anymore, but getting rid of all our inactive posters with almost no posts would significantly decrease our member total.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:40 PM   #12
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I think we have plenty of active posters to 'keep the numbers up'. It probably doesn't matter anyway - this board is pretty famous.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:42 PM   #13
trolls' bane

Yeah I guess so. Except where I live. Whenever I say the majority of my freinds are Entmooters on Entmoot, they think think my friends are Emperors on the Moon .
Old 10-03-2004, 10:09 AM   #14
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

The SF-FANDOM database has been lost twice. Starting out with 0 registered users didn't prevent us from getting back up into the thousands again very quickly.

However, I don't understand the need to eliminate people with 0 posts. The vast majority of people who visit forums only lurk. On forums where you have to register in order to use certain features (like SEARCH, PRIVATE MESSAGING, etc.), there is an incentive for lurkers to register even though they will continue to lurk.

I think arbitrarily deleting hundreds of registered accounts from your database might clear out some dead wood, but it would probably also tick off a lot of loyal visitors.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:21 PM   #15
Telcontar_Dunedain

But they take up good user names that other people who will post would like to have. Email warnings could be sent, saying that if they don't come and post they'll be wiped from the data base.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:27 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It's easy enough to find out how long it's been since the posters in question last came online to post on entmoot. I think if they haven't "lurked" since 2000-2001, chances are, they're not coming back.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:31 PM   #17
Eruve
Elven Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
I think if they haven't "lurked" since 2000-2001, chances are, they're not coming back.
Oh, you never know about that. Last time I was here was back before Fellowship came out. I've begun lurking again...
Eruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:28 AM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruve
Oh, you never know about that. Last time I was here was back before Fellowship came out. I've begun lurking again...
Oh sure, come out of lurking and make me look like a silly bugger! Typical canuck.

I should have been more clear - I was talking specifically about the posters who had registered, and not posted (ie a "0" post-count), and hadn't been on the site for donkeys years.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:56 AM   #19
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruve
i was pretty similar myself... though i'm not too worried about someone grabbing my screen name
Old 10-04-2004, 10:00 AM   #20
trolls' bane

I think that if they don't take the time to make an original name, they definitely won't take much time posting. There are of course, some exceptions.