Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 11:58 AM   #1
Elvellon
Elf Lord

A discussion about Evolution and other scientific theories

The purpose of this thread is not to make a discussion of Evolutionism vs Creationism, there is already a thread for it, so please don’t bring that discussion here.
I wish to start a thread were ideas about the mechanics of Evolution, and other orthodox scientific theories, can be discussed.

I would start asking your opinion about what you think it is the role of competition (between species and between individual organisms) on Evolution. This may look a very straightforward question, but think about it. The result of competition is normally considered to be the survival of the fittest, but what does this means? The result of evolution can be a more advanced form of the progenitor organism, but can also be that divergent evolution is the result. Meaning that a species can evolve to occupy a previously unoccupied niche in the ecosystem (and therefore avoid to compete with other species). Also, when two very similar species compete for the same niche of the ecosystem, that invariably ends with the extinction of the less apt, or with the subtle specialization of the two species, so that they occupy very similar, but not quite the same, niche. Could we say that, because of this, competition is a transitory state that successful species transcend? (By eliminating competition or by finding a new niche were there is no competition).

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Old 04-11-2002, 01:23 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

Asside from the fact that there are already other threads going on that discuss this topic a bit, I can't see us letting this thread go again. We've had some bad luck with this debate in the past, not to mention basically all the POV's were expressed in a thread you can find easilly in the archives.
Closed Thread