Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-27-2001, 01:14 AM   #1
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Favourite Quotes?

Curious as to what quotes from the book people liked.
My favorite is My signature
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 02:04 AM   #2
Smaug
Enting

There's so many of them.

One I really liked was...
Quote:
You speak evil of that which is fair beyond the reach of your thought, and only little wit can excuse you.
Smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 10:47 PM   #3
Gildor
Hobbit

Favorite quote

My favorite is also my signature...but there are many more. I'm sure I'll be back here as I stumble upon them.

Gildor
Old 12-29-2001, 08:39 PM   #4
Lumina
Sapling

Nice thread.

One of my very favourite quotes is this one from towards the end of RotK (from the chapter "Many Partings"):

"‘Well here we are, just the four of us that started out together,’ said Merry. ‘We have left all the rest behind, one after another. It seems almost like a dream that has slowly faded.’
‘Not to me,’ said Frodo. ‘To me it feels more like falling asleep again.’"

It always reminds me of the feeling I get after finishing the book - as though I'm "falling asleep again."

Some other favourites include:

"'What's that?' Cried Gandalf. He was relieved when Pippin confessed what he had done; but he was angry, and Pippin could see his eye glinting. 'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"

Gandalf's "I liked white better."

"'A Balrog," muttered Gandalf.'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'"

"Suddenly, caught by the level beams, Frodo saw the old king's head: it was lying rolled away by the roadside. 'Look, Sam!' he cried, startled into speech. 'Look! The King has got a crown again!'"
(Could anything be more moving?)

"'Sleep!' said Frodo and sighed, as if out of a desert he had seen a mirage of cool green. 'Yes, even here I could sleep.'"

"'...I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam.'"

"'Well, I'm back,' he said."

And, last but not least:

"'...tonight you have come where it is death to come. The fish of the pool are dearly bought.'
Gollum dropped the fish from his hand. 'Don't want fish,' he said."
Old 01-01-2002, 11:35 AM   #5
gollum
Sapling

Gollum

one of my most favorite quotes from the lotr is my signature. Also the many poems and songs. I don't no if this wood b allowed but one of my favorite quotes was from the hobbit. It was said by gandalf as u might guess.

"I AM GANDALF AND GANDALF MEANS ME!"

Whoever wrote this thread I want u to keep in mind next time u write a thread like this that the writing by mr. tolkien is so beautifully crafted into a story that most individual quotes do not stick out in ur mind.
deep roots r not reached by the frost
from the ashes a fire is woken
a light from the shadows shall spring
renewed the blade that is broken
the crownless again shall b king
gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 02:40 PM   #6
Alethes
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Lumina

...Gandalf's "I liked white better."...
I like that one too.

I also like "And he who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." (Gandalf to Saruman)

And this one with Gimli and Elrond:

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

" 'Maybe,' said Elrond, 'but let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall.' "

"Yet sworn word may strengthen quaking heart."

"Or break it."

It's been a while since I've read the books, and I'm reading them now, so I may find more quotes.
-Proverbs 22:11
Alethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 02:44 PM   #7
Legolas
Elven Warrior

I also like my sig. (I think it is what Gimly was saying to Legolas in the beginning) I also like Gandalf's
Quote:
you cannot pass!
and
Quote:
I must leave you for a short while
Old 01-01-2002, 03:02 PM   #8
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Not my fav, but read my sig.

Last edited by emplynx : 01-01-2002 at 11:17 PM.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 09:39 PM   #9
Lumina
Sapling

Quote:
Whoever wrote this thread I want u to keep in mind next time u write a thread like this that the writing by mr. tolkien is so beautifully crafted into a story that most individual quotes do not stick out in ur mind.
??
Old 01-02-2002, 12:57 AM   #10
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Well most everyone Ive talked to has a favorite quote, but I do agree with you very much that Tolkien's works were very beautifully crafted. But Im going to have to repeat what lumina said "??"
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:27 AM   #11
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I really like this one:
"Out of the shadows the hobbits peeped, gazing back down the slope: little furtive figures that in the dim light looked like elf-children in the deeps of time peering out of the Wild Wood in wonder at their first Dawn." For some reason this totally transports me to Middle Earth.

Some other favorites of mine:

"There was a terrific splash and a shout of Whoa~ from Frodo. It appeared that a lot of Pippin's bath had imitated a fountain and leaped on high." (I love the bath song! Water Hot is a noble thing!)

"'No food, no rest, nothing for Smeagol,' said Gollum,'He's a sneak.'"

"'Frodo, Mr. Frodo!' he called. 'Don't leave me here alone! It's your Sam calling. Don't go where I can't follow! Wake up, Mr. Frodo! O wake up, Frodo, me dear, me dear. Wake up!'" Does anyone else cry at this part? I always do.

"'I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam.'"

"And he sang to them, now in the Elven-tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."

*sniff*
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 02:46 AM   #12
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Thanks for editing that emplynx. I didnt quite follow.

In response to FreindOfFrodo I dont recall crying..but my eyes may have been a little "moist". I loved that whole section of the Trilogy
Old 01-02-2002, 03:18 AM   #13
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

maybe i'm just overly sentimental.
and it's FRODOFRIEND!!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 02:32 PM   #14
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

My apologies FrodoFriend, I confused you and Friend of the shire.
Im a little to lazy to go check peoples names. Im kind of annoying that way
Old 01-02-2002, 03:05 PM   #15
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

*snif* *sob* (wipes eyes with small white tissue) I just get so emotional reading all these quotes. Here are two of my favs:

They looked back. Dark yawned the archway of the Gates under the mountain-shadow. Faint and far beneath the earth rolled the slow drum-beats: doom. A thin black smoke trailed out. Nothing else was to be seen; the dale all around was empty. Doom. Grief at last wholly overcame them, and they wept long: some standing and silent, some cast upon the ground. Doom, doom. The drum-beats faded.

" "Well you've wasted a year, so why wait longer" "Wasted?" I says. "I wouldn't call it that". Still I see what she means."

Haven't read it in ages so I may come back with more
luv
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 03:41 PM   #16
Varda
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
-- Gildor, pg. 123, FOTR

Quote:
Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.
-- Frodo, same page as the last quote

and of course...

Quote:
Well, I'm back.
I thought that last one when I came back from Winter Break two days ago...
Old 01-02-2002, 04:45 PM   #17
Gildor
Hobbit

From Gildor: "Advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"

Also from Gildor: "Courage is found in unlikely places."

And a bit of comic relief from Aragorn that I am fond of:

"...you must send for the herb-master of this House. And he will tell you that he did not know that the herb you desire had any virtues, but that it is called westmansweed by the vulgar, and galenas by the noble, and other names in other tongues more learned, and after adding a few half-forgotten rhymes that he does not understand, he will regretfully inform you that there is none in the House, and he will leave you to reflect on the history of tongues."
Old 01-02-2002, 05:04 PM   #18
Gildor
Hobbit

Here's another favorite:

Gimli: "I thought Fangorn was dangerous."

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord. And Aragorn is dangerous, and Legolas is dangerous. You are beset with dangers, Gimli son of Gloin; for you are dangerous yourself, in your own fashion."
Old 01-02-2002, 11:27 PM   #19
gollum
Sapling

Gollum

the meaning of my past reply about tolkiens beautiful work is some ppl do not have a specific quote. If i really had the time(which i don't) for this thread i wood sit down and type the entire book, because that is wut i thought was a great quote. Wut shood not or atleast didnt for me happen is u remeber certain quotes u remember the beautiful story. Sure sum quotes stuck in ur mind but that is not the important thing is the story, b/c that is wut was great about the lotr
deep roots r not reached by the frost
from the ashes a fire is woken
a light from the shadows shall spring
renewed the blade that is broken
the crownless again shall b king
gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:04 PM   #20
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Everyone has a favorite portion of the book. Just because something is good doesnt mean that it's consistent in one's opinion of quality. If you do not have a favorite quote then you have the option not to post one, but some people like to.