Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Feedback and Tech Problems
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Users titles at 100 posts - for the posts of quality?

There is a rule on the Moot - users titles at 500 posts - that seems unfair to me. There are several people here who often write posts of high quality in the Books forums, but never take part in the mindless chat in General Messages' treads or in RPG threads. I know how fast one accumulates the posts there (I have got most of mine while RPG-ing).

But still, five hundred posts is an awful lot, if each post is a mini-article in itself, with quotes and interesting new opinions on the Tolkien universe. Serious people might never reach 500!

I am speaking of such Mooters as Olmer, who is still at 300+ posts, but who, for me at least, is the most interesting poster on the Moot. Then I would name CAB, Landroval, Alcuin, Jon S, Arvedui_last_king.... - just off the top of my head. Sorry if I have forgotten anybody, I am not trying to make a complete list now

What I propose, is to make an exception for such people, who are the greatest assets of the Moot, and accord them users titles at 100 posts. It is but a little thing, after all, but it will show our appreciation for serious, knowledgeable people.

What do you think?
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the nice words Gordis, you definitely belong to the list of valuable posters here

Though a special status sounds appealing, I think it would open a can of worms. "Us", "serious people", should be above such common temptations . A solution would be for the post count to take into consideration only posts into certain subforums; but this would probably give us another headache, and perhaps we shouldn't discriminate against certain topics, after all, all of us make this great community.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I am not speaking of myself, Landroval, I have my 1800+ posts mostly gained in an RPG. Without it, I would have still been an "elven warrior" - (Oh, how I did dislike the title!). I am sure Olmer is not too fond of it either.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

You could give them honorary titles, like "Sage of Middle-Earth" or something like that...something Admins only can do.

Also, who says that RPG posts are cheap? There can be some pretty hefty posts-just ask Lief about that!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

You know, I really admire the type of posters you mention Gordis, and IMO it qould be nice if they didnt have to wait as long. I remember it seemed hopeless at first when I was told about the whole ordeal etc, but I soon forgot post-counting, and Poof! Before I knew it, I had 500 plus. I don't claim to be a big-time essayist or anything...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:26 AM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

It's an interesting idea, but not workable IMHO.

First of all, do these people even want faster titles? I gather (apologies if I'm wrong) that the Tolkien debate is what interests them more instead of spiffy little perks like titles. A title is not necesarily the best or highest you can attain on a messageboard, a title doesn't immediatly get you respect. IMO it should not be the focus of your participation on a forum.

Secondly, I think linking the titles to 'worthiness' of posts is a dangerous thing. Sure, we are a Tolkien board but not merely a Tolkien board. We have many well-liked and respected people who do not frequent the Tolkien-boards much. So what of the people who post interesting and thought-out posts in Entertainment or GM? I don't think they should then excluded from this honourary programme. Good RPG'ers don't necessarily reach higher post counts more easily. I think the nazgul-game gave you a wrong idea because it had such rare, humongous discussion-threads.

Suppose if we did implement this sort of quick title, who is going to determine the 'worthiness' of the posts to accord these titles? Even if you have the mod-team do this, it's still going to be on subjective basis. And you can bet there's going to be disagreement or even resentment over who gets a quick title and who doesn't.

I do think titles at 500 is the fairest for everyone.

Last edited by Earniel : 06-10-2006 at 04:29 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
You know, I really admire the type of posters you mention Gordis, and IMO it qould be nice if they didnt have to wait as long. I remember it seemed hopeless at first when I was told about the whole ordeal etc, but I soon forgot post-counting, and Poof! Before I knew it, I had 500 plus.
Normally, in MOST cases, it is OK- it doesn't take too long to reach 500, but in some RARE cases, 500 is too much, IMHO. Users titles at 100 should be a rare exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
You could give them honorary titles, like "Sage of Middle-Earth" or something like that...something Admins only can do.
It seems not a bad idea, indeed, maybe better than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniel
First of all, do these people even want faster titles? I gather (apologies if I'm wrong) that the Tolkien debate is what interests them more instead of spiffy little perks like titles. A title is not necesarily the best or highest you can attain on a messageboard, a title doesn't immediatly get you respect. IMO it should not be the focus of your participation on a forum.
Of course, the people I speak about are NOT motivated by getting user titles. If they were, they could always go chat at the Teacup cafe and other places like that. I have no doubt they care little about "spiffy little perks like titles".
But still they ARE perks, and I don't see why "loose-tongues" (or, more specifically, "agile fingers" ) have advantage over serious people.

Quote:
Secondly, I think linking the titles to 'worthiness' of posts is a dangerous thing. Sure, we are a Tolkien board but not merely a Tolkien board. We have many well-liked and respected people who do not frequent the Tolkien-boards much. So what of the people who post interesting and thought-out posts in Entertainment or GM? I don't think they should then excluded from this honourary programme.
I never intended to restrict this to Tolkien board only. I am sure, there are some similar cases on the General massages board as well. Simply, as I rarely go there, I am not aware of them personally. I am sure, Rian, for instance, could name one-two mooters who make great contributions to Philosophy or Theology threads, but are far from 500 posts.

Quote:
Suppose if we did implement this sort of quick title, who is going to determine the 'worthiness' of the posts to accord these titles? Even if you have the mod-team do this, it's still going to be on subjective basis. And you can bet there's going to be disagreement or even resentment over who gets a quick title and who doesn't
My original idea was to make a thread where the applications are made. It might be a self-application, but more often it is likely to be an application by some appreciative readers. Then the Mods or Admins would decide.

But, though there are some cases that are crystal-clear to everybody and won't present any problem, I am afraid you may be right about disagreement and resentment when more applications are made. I have seen people quarrel over nothing so many times I have lost count *sigh*. Yes, perhaps you are right after all....

So, let us do nothing?

Or, perhaps lower the plank for everybody - user titles at 100 posts? It is a rule on some forums. Consider, that those who have reached 100 posts are likely to stay anyway...
Old 06-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
Landroval
Elven Warrior

My favorite solution would be to have organised team debates. Now that's something worth wasting nights and it would get those implicated to post at least daily.

The barrow downs forum has an interesting "reputation" system, where people can rate a certain person (positively or negatively), considering certain rules (a person can make no more than 20 repuations a day; one cannot give a reputation again to the same person unless one gives reputations to other 20 members, etc). Its really nice, I haven't seen it get out of hand and the level of discussions increases; the good thing people receive reputations even outside Tolkien threads, which maintains a certain amount of diversity. I would really like to see it here too.

The ranks are, IIRC:started the path of adventure; getting the hang of it; no fool of a Took; wisdom of Gandalf; fame of Frodo; welcomed at Aragorn's court; welcomed at Elrond's council; bound for the straight road; sitting on hight Taniquetil; mounted Taniquetil again. There also are ranks for number of posts, but that's a different thing altogether.

Last edited by Landroval : 06-10-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

I like reputation, although I've seen the ugly side of rep. I have seen it used to flame, although that was when you posted comments along with rep. And there was some nasty flaming going on. I got the feeling that these people couldn't even take a joke without calling me an idiot. However, that was with a huge community, and I get the feeling that it might have been just a single person.

Wow! I just figured out what IIRC stood for!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I wonder if this is really about gamers who are not playing elves being perturbed because their titles say elf.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #11
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion

Wow! I just figured out what IIRC stood for!
I never figured it out myself...what does it mean?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 06-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #12
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

(feels smug )
Old 06-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

(feels smug )
Really! Wow, I would never have guessed it. I'm THAT bad with abbrvs.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 07-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
Huorn
Elven Warrior

I basically joined this forum for the interactive RPG's. I like playing IC. Lore is not my strength. Because there is not too many RPG's moving up in rank is going to be slow for me. I favor letting members choose their own title at 100 posts. As a ealier post stated. Those who make 100 posts are going to stay anyways. Choosing title at 100 posts is pretty standard at most proboards. It doesn't make sense for a member who calls himself Frodo Baggins or Gimli12 to be wearing the Rank of Elf-something

Just call me Oakie

Last edited by Huorn : 07-16-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:23 AM   #15
Ben
Retired Ent

Interesting thoughts. For me, the title system is supposed to be just for fun. The 500-post threshold was taken from the Jedi Council forums (the inspiration for Entmoot).

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #16
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Interesting. Never heard of Jedi Counsil...

But I think giving users titles at 100 posts to everyone wouldn't be so earth-shattering here.

And as for the titles: why this "elven" and "elf" part?

Why won't just "Warrior" and "Lord" do?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #17
Huorn
Elven Warrior

Or since this is an "Entmoot" forum why not make the titles all Entish? They would go something like this, Seedling, Sapling, Tree, Enting, Huorn. Then Moderators would be Ents, and Admins would be titled Ents like QuickBeam, Treebeard, Fladriff, Finglas and so on if they so choose. When the members make 500 posts, then they have the option of choosing their own user titles or just keeping the entish titles.

I just wasn't too terribly thrilled with joining an Entmoot and wearing the badge of Hobbit or Elf. It is just temporary. So it isn't really a big deal. I can wear plastic elf ears for a few months.

Just call me Oakie

Last edited by Huorn : 07-21-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #18
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Or they could put anything they want, of course, at any time.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
Or they could put anything they want, of course, at any time.
Yeah, like the "Smelly Orc" title we give to spammers.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #20
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

are you trying to accuse me of something.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote