Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2002, 07:53 PM   #1
Varda
Elven Warrior

Contentedness, homelessness and hobbits

I have a theory that the true meaning in Tolkien's classics is a message about homelessness, greed and the various types of wanderers.

Tolkien was Catholic, probably converted by his wife. Gandalf -- The wandering wizard... made a name for himself as a bearer of bad news. He went from place to place helping out where he could. Sauron was an agent of evil. Hobbits lived in holes in the ground. They were fat and characteristically cared more for the comforts of life than adventures. They were not noble in character but humble in stature, enjoying the peace and quiet of the simple shire. When Bilbo left the peace of his little hobbit hole and returned with many riches, these deeds introduced greed into the hearts of the other hobbits, who saw the gold and jewels that he returned with from his adventures. I believe that these hobbits were not so much rich in money and jewels beforehand but that tehy were rich in the finer things in life: love, wisdom, charity, devotion... they resembled people of good morals who were simple quiet and at peace with the world. No one needs to get into heaven with these sorts of ideas. "Adventures make one late for dinner."

These emotions resemble many characteristic temptations of old: the apple in the garden of eden, pushign the "red button" despite all good advice saying "do not push the red button"...

In light of all this: Let's pretend that Bilbo had never set out on that faitful day... that Gandalf (aka Mithrandir, aka The Wandering Wizard) had left the poor hobbit in peace... would Sauron have destroyed the rest of the world? Or was Sauron's power perhaps not the ring itself but the lust for power that the ring inevitably brought to those who bore it? Could this be more of a "Dumbo and the Magic Feather" thing... where there's nothing special about the ring itself but that knowing about the ring at all stirs up trouble.

To sum up: What if Gollum had retained the ring and used it to capture the occasional orc for food? Would the world have been a worse place for all their trouble? Can we learn anything from this?

And I know I sound like a spoil-sport... it just seems like an interesting little life lesson... why go on adventures at all?? Couldnt we stay in our hobbit holes and live our lives in peace without feeling the need to be great heroes? Wouldnt we all be happier as hobbits in our holes than as Wizards fighting balrogs down holes?

Would we?
Old 05-29-2002, 10:58 PM   #2
Tar-Elendil
NĂºmenorean

u also gotta think..frodo sacrificed his own saftey for the good of all Middle-Earth. if bilbo hadnt gone out on the adventure the ring would probably have stayed under the misty mountains and sauron would never haave been destroyed. You have to sacrifice yourself at times for the well being of an entire people(s) people died in the war of the ring, yes. But more would have died if sauron would have stayed in power , and future generations would have to experience the same horror and war
Old 05-29-2002, 11:53 PM   #3
Varda
Elven Warrior

Well true... the age of Sauron was the age of tyranny... and some say better to die victoriously in battle than to live for eons. I believe elves being immoral needed battles every once in a while or else Middle Earth would have been thick with elves. Wars happen... sad but true... and there are casualties and civilians. It is sad that Bilbo had to be dragged in at the age he was, since he did not seem anxious to go at first. And the world had left the era of peace at that time.

Yet, in Christian terms, God created the world of Eden to be perfect. Did he expect humans to maintain its perfection? I suppose, if the stories are true, we can never really know the mind of God. And in that sense, I see Tolkien's Hobbit as an exploration of human patterns of war, adventure, greed... etc. A typical fantasy book for children of all ages... or those who never grew.

Also remember, English were small once, so perhaps this is just a way of relating some history and wars the way certain historians believe they really did happen... Perhaps Sauron really represents some evil Empire?

But I digress. Keeping in the confines of the Hobbit, I wonder what the real intentions of the dwarves were.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:59 PM   #4
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I'd just like to say that Tolkien wasn't converted by his wife Edith Bratt, he was born a Catholic.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 06:05 PM   #5
Laredith
Enting

Yes, and LotR is not an allegory by any means. This includes religious AND political. Tolkien said so himself. To suggest that LotR is an allegory of history would be like the critics that Lewis ranted and raved about in "Of Critics". (not that I think that your theory suggests an allegory, but you began to hint at a political allegory)
Laredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:40 PM   #6
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I've always felt that the whole message of The Hobbit was about the need for adventure, similar to Don Quixote but with real mosnters. Through his adventures Bilbo matures and becomes a better person; he connects with his Tookish side. He grows as a character from a rather boring figure, to someone with whom the younger hobbits admire for the excitement in his life, as opposed to the other sedentary hobbits.
As for allegory, I believe I read somewhere that Tolkien was oposed to the idea. Yet, his works can be connected to many different events and religious beliefs.
Old 06-01-2002, 05:14 PM   #7
Tar-Elendil
NĂºmenorean

ive heard diff things..
the most popular one is the hobbit is suppose to represent WWII..Smaug is hitler and germany..orcs and stuff other countries on axis side..ridiculous
Old 06-01-2002, 07:31 PM   #8
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Tolkien began writing the Lord of the Rings in 1937, he wrote in a letter on December 19 (Interesting date) 1937 saying

Quote:
I have written the first chapter of a new story about Hobbits - a long Expected party

The war began in 1939, ruling out the beginning of any sort of allegory, because of Tolkiens style of writing. Even though Tolkien did state his views on the State of europe sometimes.

Tolkien didn't like allegory...

Quote:
I cordially dislike allegory in all it's manifeststations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect it's presence

Tolkien also said that the placing of Mordor in the east was a "Simple narative and geographical neccessity". He also denied that the destruction of the Ring represented the A-Bomb.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 11:14 PM   #9
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
I think that Tolkien ment it to be a lesson:"you don't have to be big and powerful to make a differance."Simalarly(sp):"have courage when faceing evil, if you remain true you can triumph."
and,"Sometimes we have to forsake our thoughts for the good of all."

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 05:33 PM   #10
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
i think that life would be boring without adventures.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:21 AM   #11
OrangeStone
Sapling

I do not think the Hobbit is an allegory. For instance, the hobbits' natures do not change to greed after Bilbo comes back; they were always the same way. (This seems more true when the 'new' information from the Fellowship is plugged into the equation). It would be nice if we could just live peacefully in hobbit holes, but at least some people would feel stagnated and trapped after a while. I think that humans need change even if they don't always like it at first. (This is true for some hobbits also!).
OrangeStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 12:04 PM   #12
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Varda
I believe elves being immoral needed battles every once in a while
Why do you think Elves are immoral?

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote