Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
melodyeye
Sapling

Favourite Vampire Movies

I liked Interview with the Vampire, Queen of the Damned and Abbott and Costello meet Dracula. They were pretty cool.

How about you? Please share....
melodyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

TWILIGHT! No, I am being extremely sarcastic. I'm only of those "1% who would rejoice if Edward Cullen fell off a cliff."

To be serious, um, no I can't really think of any vampire movies I've seen...but I'd love to watch one if you have any good recommendations!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

The old Nosferatu, Werner Herzog's remake (Nosferatu: the Vampyre), Shadow of the Vampire, Bram Stoker's Dracula.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 06-15-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
The old Nosferatu, Werner Herzog's remake (Nosferatu: the Vampyre), Shadow of the Vampire, Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Although, I am one of those few people who actually liked 30 Days of Night. I thought it was a pretty cool exercise in un-romanticizing the vampire, which was nice to see in the Twilight, True Blood era. If you really look at the film, it was like Dracula, but inverted. (SPOILERS) The vampires arrive on a boat, a la Dracula, and there is a Renfield-esque character. But unlike in Dracula, where true, innocent love is made impure by the vampire, in 30 Days of Night, a relationship that is already broken is healed by the arrival of the vampires.

Not to mention, it is a truly spooky horror movie.
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Gwaimir Windgem

Actually, I should also note that I do like Interview with the Vampire; it was the best of Anne Rice's books, at least those I read, and the film captured the mood and feel very well, despite the unfortunate presence of Tom Cruise.

There is much griping about post-Anne Rice conceptions of the vampire, about suavity, sex appeal, etc. While there is much to complain about in modern conception of vampires, I think that's not the place to do it, not primarily. Far more problematic is the attempt to render the vampire safe, with so called "veggie vampires" in Twilight, and the Tru Blood alternative in the eponymous series.

Of course, there is a great deal of eroticism underlying the very idea of the vampire; coupled with the Byronic aura attached to some vampires from the beginning, and a relatively romantic notion of vampires is natural. It's when this romanticism undoes the destructiveness of the vampire that we have a problem.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Cronos from the 90s is one of my favorite lesser-known Vampire movies...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104029/

Interview is my favorite vampire book, but I didn't really enjoy the movie. Neither Pitt or Cruise did it for me in that movie. They just didn't seem to have enough character and intensity in that film. I'm hoping for a better remake one of these days.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Gwaimir Windgem

I've heard of it, and am intrigued; Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone were very good.

From what I've heard, I've gotten the impression that it's a vampire-ish movie, more than a vampire movie. Is that so?

One other thing that I didn't like about the movie was Antonio Banderas as Armand. He's supposed to be teenage boy, which increases creepy factors and cognitive dissonance exponentially! Making him an adult was a terrible artistic decision.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 07-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Dead and Loving it.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote