Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2005, 06:49 AM   #61
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

some thoughts:
in arnor there must have been many many settlements, towns, villages, hamlets and lone inns, farms and homesteads. after the division of the high kingdom, many would have fallen by the wayside, as people moved to the larger areas, such as fornost etc, eventually there would have been fewer and fewer, and so these areas would have become forsaken, and by the time that aragorn and the hobbits passed by, perhaps The Forsaken Inn was the last of these smaller areas surviving, and left with maybe a couple of houses, housing just the staff of the inn and their families, and serving in the inn the elves dwarves and rangers passing along the road, not to mention one or two adventurous breelanders
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:12 PM   #62
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I think it is a very clever explanation, LCOU!
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:32 PM   #63
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
..in arnor there must have been many many settlements, towns, villages, hamlets and lone inns, farms and homesteads. after the division of the high kingdom, many would have fallen by the wayside, and so these areas would have become forsaken, .., perhaps The Forsaken Inn was the last of these smaller areas surviving...
Actually, your idea is not too far from mine.But I think that settlements and homesteads were have fallen not after division of the kingdom, but after invasion of Gondor.They were "cleaning areas from fell people" driving them out and killing those, who stayed behind( I know, I know it is a very serious accusation, but we can discuss my reasons in separate thread). The Inn was saved, because it had been used by gondorians, probably to provide food and shelter for a small military force, which stayed behind. This why later this inn was called Forsaken.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #64
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
But I think that settlements and homesteads were have fallen not after division of the kingdom, but after invasion of Gondor.They were "cleaning areas from fell people" driving them out and killing those, who stayed behind( I know, I know it is a very serious accusation, but we can discuss my reasons in separate thread). The Inn was saved, because it had been used by gondorians, probably to provide food and shelter for a small military force, which stayed behind. This why later this inn was called Forsaken.
The Forsaken Inn was East of Bree. It looks like it was in Cardolan?
Then I would say the population of the area dwindled after 1409 Angmar-Cardolan War, unles it was later, during the Great Plague.

But I would be interested to read your accusations against Gondorians nontheless, Olmer. Angmar wars is my fav. period
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #65
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

just don't mentions hobbits or the shire at the bar if any Angmarians are around!

Angmarian locals (or spies if you prefer) No! never heard of hobbits no nor halflings either! The shire? never heard of it!

Code of the NINE: seek for the Olmer that was woken , in forsaken places it dwells ....

Its a great name 'the forsaken Inn' : i tend to think it acquired the name by its users over a period of time... quite possibly generation after generation, at first possibly a nickname then what everyone called it ...

for eg a local where i used to live was always 'the Traff' which changed its name - or had it changed rather - ( to be honest i can't remember to what) i came back down that way last year: it was still Technically called whatever but everyone still called it the Traff: there was even an up-to-date pool league chart on the wall and that was 'the traff' and this must be what five years after it supposedly changed names?

anyone ever viewed the Forsaken inn rpg? Only had a quick cursory look myself: but i'll tell you one thing about the inn: it never rains but it pours!

no one around for ages and suddenly a whole host of interesting, diverse and wonderful folk turn up on the same night! Larks! Talk about singing and story-telling: that was the place to be. (the inn keeper had been telling the business manager round them parts for ages this would happen: but would he invest in a new sauna and jacuzzi /gym area? NO!)

I think it must have survived though on being the only place for miles around before you really hit the wilderness : its a bit like those signs: last garage for 90 miles etc: its either your last chance for a warm bed, a hot meal and a pint or two, or your first for ages if going / coming back the other way - or just a natural destination for those wanting to walk and camp away for a few days out in the country: i.e more adventorous hobbits breefolk etc and of course some regular trade from rangers and other folk!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-05-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote