Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2002, 09:46 PM   #21
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I didn't know it was in italics, but I knew it was capitilized like that. It could simply be what everyone calls it, since it's a fitting name. I. e., it could have been called 'The Crooked Staff' when it was in business, but since it was forsaken everyone who knew about it called it The Forsaken Inn, and so the name changed.

What sort of people a day's march from Bree do you think would name their solitary Inn The Forsaken Inn?
Old 01-27-2002, 10:12 PM   #22
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Re: "What sort of people a day's march from Bree do you think would name their solitary Inn The Forsaken Inn?"

LOL--Not people with good business instincts, that's for sure. They should have lied, or at least exaggerated, like the people who named "Greenland" did (or so I hear. Never been to Greenland. Maybe someday. )

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 11:24 PM   #23
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

maybe it became forsaken after the owners decided to have dwarf women strip shows. i could just see aragorn... "nah i think i'll stick with the elven princess - less facial hair..."
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 01:20 PM   #24
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"The Forsaken Inn" sort of conjures up visions of lonely "Stuckey's" stuck out in the middle of nowhere on the highway....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 10:11 AM   #25
azalea
Long lost mooter

Maybe The Forsaken Inn would have attracted people that wished to remain anonymous, who didn't want to talk to anyone or be seen by anyone, because of secret business or something, as opposed to an inn that served as a gathering place for the townsfolk to chat and tell stories. Maybe it would have been a better place for the hobbits to meet Gandalf. Or it could have just been a romantic name given to an inn that was not in the center of town, but far out in the middle of "nowhere", but still along a busy road; the kind of place that the weary traveller would be glad to see (like the lone hotel along a deserted stretch of highway).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 04:26 PM   #26
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

Quote:
There are enough details, mysteries, and untaken side trips to fill ten books the size of Rings. The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle Earth, et. al. have been prepared for the general public's reading by the author's son Christopher, of course, but sometimes I find that the best "side trips" in Middle-earth are those that even the background material leaves in mystery.
Yes, I agree! I saw this thread today and read the posts and it is a good discussion. I always wondered about The Forsaken Inn since the first time I read the books. The last couple posts here kind of brushed up against how I see the Forsaken Inn. it was a place where it was a little freer atmosphere, and with it, many darker characters. It was outside the jurisdiction of Bree and so the burlesque shows and hard drinking and rowdiness (think biker bar), and the line between good and evil was blurred some there. Hence Tolkien bypassed it as he would such a place in real life. This is just my imagination taking up where the Professor left off. There is alot as was said for the imagination to run with, especially the lives and generations of the Rangers since King Arvedui of Arthedain.

Me, I probably would have gravitated more toward there than the Pony in Bree proper. I had a character in an RP that was a Ranger that hung out at the Forsaken Inn. It turned out quite good as a story actually.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:32 PM   #27
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I still think that it's forsakeness was basically due to the fact that it was out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:41 PM   #28
Snowdog

Gimli

And the reason an Inn was located a days ride east of Bree?
Old 05-29-2002, 02:59 PM   #29
azalea
Long lost mooter

Even people living in the middle of nowhere need a pint every now and then!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:18 PM   #30
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Probably just a name.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 11:41 PM   #31
ladyisme
Enting

Strider

What if the Forsaken Inn was a hold over from the times when the land had more people in it? For all we know the inn could be the last survivour of a town that died out, and is called forsaken because it is the only one left.

Quote:
"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 02:01 PM   #32
Nill
Sapling

So is the Forsaken Inn something like the Pony? Hehehe, if it is I'll come in and have a drink.
Nill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 06:45 PM   #33
ladyisme
Enting

Tom Bombadil

I don't think the book mentions how good the acomidations at the Forsaken Inn are, but the Golden Perch Inn in Stock is said to have exceptional beer.

Quote:
"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
P.S. Welcome Nill to Entmoot!
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 05:43 PM   #34
Nill
Sapling

Thanks for the welcome. I'm on another message board on another site, and I thought this one looked cool, so here I am.
As for the good beer, the Dragon has some good stuff too.
Anyone know if I can change my screen name easily? I have another name I use, and I was wondering if I could use that.
Nill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 11:21 AM   #35
Snowdog

So I start dreaming last night that I am a Dúnedain Ranger in the Forsaken Inn, and it was a sort of a Middle Earth biker bar, without the bikes though. It was a place where Black Numenoreans and Dunlandings mixed freely with Hobbits and Dúnedain and dark elves, for the fair elves wouldn't be found in such a debaiched place. Tha ale selection was huge with the line of finely carved tap handles along the bar... Mordorian Stout so black (think Guinness) to a light pale North Farthing ale! Unfortunatly I woke up when a tiff erupted between an old crippled Dunlanding veteran of Sarumann's defeated army, and a very drunk Rohirric man. I stepped in to break it up saying we have to get past the past. Totally wierd! I wanted to go back to sleep and return to Middle Earth.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:28 AM   #36
Keith K
Elf Lord

With the demise of the North Kingdom the road became more or less forsaken, used mainly by dwarves traveling to their mines in the Blue Mts. As the road became forsaken, the businesses along it also became forsaken....Ask any proprietor; the three secrets of success are location, location, location.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:55 PM   #37
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
"The Forsaken Inn" sort of conjures up visions of lonely "Stuckey's" stuck out in the middle of nowhere on the highway....
Yes, and Stuckey's does pretty well out there, too, or they all would have folded long ago. Enough traffic to support them, and not much competition.

So maybe there was enough traffic on the Road from the Breelanders to support an inn. (People from the Shire once rode out to Bree for a change of pace, why not people from Bree going out into the wild lands a safe distance for the same reason?)

Too, such a location was good in terms of the westbound traffic on the road -- people would be getting short of everything, and longing for a taste of civilization, and yet not be able to get to Bree for one more night yet. Think of the prices the innkeeper could charge, way out there with no competition, the things they could sell, etc. There might not be as many people coming in as there would be in or closer to Bree, but what customers they got would be hungry, thirsty, and footsore, longing for some creature comforts and not in a mood to haggle.

Maybe "Forsaken Inn" was just what the Butterburs of Bree called it, not liking the dent it caused in their own business. The owner might have called it something much more pleasant or personable; heck, maybe they just hung out a sign: "Clean restrooms" or even "restrooms."
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 11:25 PM   #38
Snowdog

Strider

Yes Keith K, like the forsaken stretches of Route 66 after the freeways were built.

I still have a vision of the place as one that seen better days.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:32 AM   #39
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

All very interesting

Where is the Forsaken Inn in Tolkein's books? It sounds very interesting, I think I'd like to go have a pint there.

Snowdog, I'm very interested in your signature. Who said, "I was so much older then, I'm much younger than that now." ?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:34 AM   #40
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Sorry to double post...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
What sort of people a day's march from Bree do you think would name their solitary Inn The Forsaken Inn?
Rangers, that's who!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote