Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-07-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider Mithrilstone: Discussion

Okay, this is an RPG that really sprung from an item introduced in Assassin's Shadow. It was called the mithrilstone, and was just that: a mithril stone, carved with a rune. Anyone who held it went into a beserk battle frenzy, but became "addicted" to the stone as they used it more and more. Seperation equaled "withdrawal".
The stone exited the story when the dwarf Nakoin swiped it from one of the main characters, and vanished into the mountains that Minas Tirith nestles against. This RPG will include some of the characters from Shadow, and will definitely have many new characters.
It will mostly be set in and around Moria, as the heros face a new threat underground. The Mithrilstone will play a central role.
Anyone interested? Discuss it here.
If you want to register a character, use this form:
Name:

Profession:

Weapons:

Appearance:

Personality:

Strengths/Weaknesses:

History (optional but extremely helpful):
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

You know I'm in!
Name: Acalewia

Profession: Half elf Dunedain

Weapons: Sword, bow, two daggers, two knives.

Appearance: Tall with golden-brown hair and hazel eyes. She wears a tunic and breeches and knee-high boots. She has a quiver and two long elvish knives on her back, a sword at her side, and two daggers hidden in her boots.

Personalty: Loyal and tough. She can be a dangerous enemy to orcs and any other evil being

History: Born to an Dunedain Father and an Elvish Mother in Rivendell, Acalewia is the oldest of four children and the only daughter. Dispite her gender, Elmar taught his daughter the ways of the Dunedain. Around the age of 19, the band Acalewia's family was traveling with was attacked by orcs. Elmar was fatally wounded. With his dying breath, he passed on the family sword to Acalewia. Soon after her mother took ship to the Undying Lands, forsaking her children and leaving Acalewia to care for three teenaged boys. The two oldest sons, Ramen and Remen, shared their father's fate; they were killed by orcs they attacked in an effort to advenge Elmar.
Acalewia took her surviving brother to Mirkwood, then to Loren after being scruntized for their mixed birth. Both Acalewia and Elnar learned the bow and the use of the long elvish knife.
During the War of the Ring, Acalewia took up the name "Eruanna", a name given her by Gandalf. She fought in both Rohan and Gondor. After a falling out with the Steward, she left Gondor. When the Steward's sons, Boramir and Faramir, tried to convince her to stay she only told them her return would signafy the King's. Unbeknowst to them, Acalewia was close friends with the heir of Islidor.
True to her word, after the battle of Helm's Deep, Acalewia returned to Gondor only to find Faramir near death and the Steward's sanity gone.
After the War, Acalewia resided mostly in Gondor but went North often. It was in the North that her love, Arlagon, was killed by strange goblins. She tracked them to Ithian and got involved in a war against a man called the Assasin.
Now the man has been defeated, but another evil lurks...

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera

Last edited by Acalewia : 03-26-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:17 AM   #3
Curubethion

Strider

This is your character from AS, right?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 03-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Acalewia

One of them.
Maybe we can us the stone to destroy the 90 sec rule

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:50 AM   #5
Curubethion

Strider

Now, let's see. LWR, rTR, are you up for the sequel?
And anyone else ready to join in? We've got tons of characters already that you might be able to persuade someone to let you use. Makoin, Hluor, a few random NPCs...
Old 03-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Acalewia

How long after AS does this take place?

Old 03-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

I'm in don't know what character i'll take yet, except I got dibs on Gimli
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:07 PM   #8
Curubethion

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
How long after AS does this take place?
It'll be at most half a year or so after it. It's an immediate sequel.
rTR, good to have you back! You'll be able to play any surviving characters from AS that you played there. So, Gimli, Makoin, Hluor, and Alatar (if he decides to stick around-which he might not, being a wizard...) would all be viable. Also Eomer...and Acalewia, you can play the character you registered, plus Elnar. And I forgot who Colomir and Curamir were affiliated with...but they can go in too.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
Lady Willow Rose
Elf Lord

I should probably sign up.

May I play my present character? Her mysteries could carry on into the next story.

Name: known as Willow
Profession: rather not say
Race: wouldn't believe me
Appearance: Short but limber. Her hair is long and brown, her eyes are mismatched. One is green and one is blue. This is her human appearance.
Weapons: A sword and magic.
Personality: Sweet, quiet but often very stubborn.
History: rather not say
Real love is a mixture of pleasure, pain and a soul-deep happiness that blasts any complaints out of the water. When you're in love, his voice makes you smile and his laughter warms your heart. And when he weeps, you feel yourself dying in each fallen tear.

Love is madness of the very best sort.
Lady Willow Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
Acalewia

rTR playes Curamir and I play Colomir.
So we're pretty much going to stick with our orginal characters, huh?

Old 03-20-2006, 11:03 PM   #11
rohirrim TR

sounds good, but are all the rangers going to Moria? do the dwarves call for aid or something?
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:46 PM   #12
Curubethion

Strider

We're all sticking with our original characters, but it looks like I'll have to make myself another one, because Curmaar reached a noble end. There will probably also be other dwarves up for play, as well as goblin chieftans. I think it would help if we had multiple people playing on the evil side as well, and not just as the big baddies.

As for plot, I'm not quite sure. The game's going to open with Nakoin and the Mithrilstone. Somehow, it's going to be tied into a great evil that is awakening in Moria. So I think the heros are going to get wind of it via an ominous dream that Willow or Acalewia or someone similar has. They'll be scattered around, of course, perhaps most of them going back home.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:58 AM   #13
Lady Willow Rose
Elf Lord

So... when do we start?
Real love is a mixture of pleasure, pain and a soul-deep happiness that blasts any complaints out of the water. When you're in love, his voice makes you smile and his laughter warms your heart. And when he weeps, you feel yourself dying in each fallen tear.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #14
Curubethion

Strider

I've just got a couple of things to wrap up about AS. Like an epilogue...I'm waiting on rTR to find out if he wants Alatar to stay in ME for the next RPG...which he might. I do have a villain picked out for this one, and he's fairly cloudy and mysterious...
We'll also need some character registrations. I'm waiting a bit on rTR. Don't forget, too that you can register another character. We've got plenty of goblin chieftans waiting in Moria!
I'm thinking over my new character.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:37 AM   #15
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
As for plot, I'm not quite sure. The game's going to open with Nakoin and the Mithrilstone. Somehow, it's going to be tied into a great evil that is awakening in Moria. So I think the heros are going to get wind of it via an ominous dream that Willow or Acalewia or someone similar has. They'll be scattered around, of course, perhaps most of them going back home.
Or both
Hey Cumaar can always come back in flashbacks

Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #16
Curubethion

Strider

Obi-Wan Kenobi style?
"Alatar, use the force..."

For my character, though, I think I'll make a dwarf...I always like dwarves...
Which means I might change my post picture to Gimli.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #17
rohirrim TR

should I register Alatar I'm thinkin he'll stick around for a little while just in case.

Makoin, dwarf of Erebor
weapons: axe and shortbow

I'll register an Uruk chief later have to think about it though.
Quote:

Last edited by rohirrim TR : 03-24-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #18
Curubethion

Strider

Very good...although it's not Uruk chiefs but goblins...we're setting this in Moria. So there's not a lot of Uruks hanging around.
If you want, you can copy-and-paste the character regs. for Curamir and Colomir from the first posts of AS discussion. They're the same.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #19
Lady Willow Rose
Elf Lord

Name: Elrohir Nénharma
Profession: killing elves
Weapons: spiked whip, spinning blades, broadsword
Appearance: 6'3", blond hair, black eyes, wide shoulders and firm muscles. Very intimidating.
Personality: Often harsh, not very friendly. Often beats the female elves before killing them.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #20
Curubethion

Strider

Is this character a human? Orc? Cave Troll?
I guess for future reference you should include the following categories: Alignment and Race. I didn't think of those yet...
But, LWR, it looks like a pretty nasty archvillain there. (P.S. Elrohir is the name of one of Elrond's sons I think )

Also, everyone, I've left an opening for a couple of our heros to participate in a seperate mini-RPG: "Sands of Harad", which is the adventures they have on the way to give Curmaar his last respects in his homeland. You might want to commit one of your characters from Assassin's Shadow to this RPG and not to Mithrilstone.