Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-21-2004, 06:23 PM   #41
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Gollum

ooc. Rosie, can I borrow the squash-selling-merchant for something (another charecter, Nariel's sister)?
Old 03-22-2004, 01:32 PM   #42
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
Demaethor:

"Aye, the King is encamped at Eldalonde, south of here." Had to be tactful, if the boy was truly loyal to the king, he would not be too keen on letting Demaethor slow him down, "Might I ask what the message entails, as many of the Faithful are about," he gave the kid a sideways glance, "and may mean to mislead the king into some..." had to sound like a loyal officer here, which up until moments ago, he was, "sort of folly."
"Indeed it is a dangerous thing to be counted among the Faithful... as my very own father learned well - in his final hours. And some of them indeed say that the king is already misled into folly... but I am too young to know best of such matters, I am assured."

"Unless you have errand elsewhere, might you guide me to the King? My lord Sauron has pressed upon me the urgency of this message, and I have ridden over-long this day. If I may go direct to the King now, I can endure, if it be not too far."

"Might I ask though... is that the fruit of an Elven tree you bear? I have seen such before, but only rarely in these times... they are quite... beautiful."

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #43
Beor
founder of the color blue

Quote:
Orininally posted by Valandil"Indeed it is a dangerous thing to be counted among the Faithful... as my very own father learned well - in his final hours. And some of them indeed say that the king is already misled into folly... but I am too young to know best of such matters, I am assured."

"Unless you have errand elsewhere, might you guide me to the King? My lord Sauron has pressed upon me the urgency of this message, and I have ridden over-long this day. If I may go direct to the King now, I can endure, if it be not too far."

"Might I ask though... is that the fruit of an Elven tree you bear? I have seen such before, but only rarely in these times... they are quite... beautiful."
"Aye, it is, I have more if you like, for you must be hungry"

Demaethor reached into the saddlebag and gave the boy a fruit, "Indeed, it is not our place to decide what is folly and what is not, I deem, but we may have our opinions. I will take you to the king, it is not far, less than two hours ride, at a slow pace. Let us ride, and speak of matters of our time, and I will tell you a story of the elves, if you like. A boy such as yourself at Sauron's temple must not hear too much of them." He looked down at the boy from atop his horse, "I have marched alongside Gil-Galad, in the Middle-earth. He was a sight to behold, I tell you..."
Old 03-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #44
Valandil

Quote:
"Aye, it is, I have more if you like, for you must be hungry"

Demaethor reached into the saddlebag and gave the boy a fruit, "Indeed, it is not our place to decide what is folly and what is not, I deem, but we may have our opinions. I will take you to the king, it is not far, less than two hours ride, at a slow pace. Let us ride, and speak of matters of our time, and I will tell you a story of the elves, if you like. A boy such as yourself at Sauron's temple must not hear too much of them." He looked down at the boy from atop his horse, "I have marched alongside Gil-Galad, in the Middle-earth. He was a sight to behold, I tell you..."
"Well... I was not hungry, but that fruit looks very delicious... so if I may indeed have some, yes... and I thank you! If I save the seeds, might I grow trees like to the ones which bear this fruit?"

"Gil-galad you say... I have HEARD of him... that's exciting! What of Elendil? I have seen him once... he seems indeed the greatest of men. But Elendil is an 'Elf-friend', is he not?"

"But... I fear it may go hard with Elendil if I discern the meaning in the message I carry. I believe Sauron seeks the destruction of Elendil... and asks the King to carry out his vile wishes... and the King seems inclined ever to hearken to Sauron's advice."

Esteldur catches himself. "But my tongue is over-loose... please remember not my words... the fatigue of my ride carries away my good sense. This fruit is good indeed... HOW is it named?"

They ride in relative silence for awhile (unless Demaethor wants to tell Esteldur stories about the Elves)... Esteldur anyway, is reluctant to speak further of his message, or Sauron or the King. 'You FOOL!' he says to himself, 'To endanger yourself so in the presence of a soldier of the King!'

On the outskirts of the camp, the two riders come upon a group of soldiers in revelry. And... women! Esteldur wonders why women are kept in this camp which arms for war. An outbreak of laughter, mixed with curses and threats catches their attention. Turning to look, they see, lit by firelight, a mob of drunken men, two in particular tugging at each arm of a woman... dressed in cheap imitation of the finest clothes.

Esteldur's jaw drops as a double realization strikes him. As a scribe-in-training, and the son of a scribe, he knows how OTHER men conduct themselves in the world to the east... but in Numenor, men treat their women with respect. A man who cannot restrain himself with women is not considered trustworthy of ANY responsibility... and women are to receive all protection and special treatment due them.

Esteldur realizes that something very wrong has taken hold in Numenor, and that men here will now treat women as they do across the eastern sea... at the same moment he realizes that the woman is his elder sister, Amariel!

He is far smaller than the men who surround her, but he is mounted, and not drunk. Esteldur spurs his horse forward, driving the men back. He jumps down and places himself between Amariel and the men. Stunned, the men just stare at first, and then they laugh and continue to say vile things.

Amariel's eyes water. She tells Esteldur that she has been dishonored, and forced to continue in this role. Indeed, would have taken her own life, but that it would imperil their brother, Forthon, and sister, Magwiel. Esteldur asks for news of them. Magwiel has been spared Amariel's fate, but is to be married tomorrow to a young officer - a man she has only just met! And Forthon, "Forthon is in the command of THAT man over there... he is a stranger to these tents, but ALL know Demaethor, great soldier of the King!" she says, pointing to Esteldur's riding companion. Then she turns back to Esteldur, "I would that your tender eyes and heart had been spared this sight of me. Best that you remembered me as we parted... for I love you, my little brother! Go on, leave me... stay out of this! Once our sister is married, and your brother departs with the armada, I shall make my final peace with the Valar. For though my body is betrayed, my mind... and my heart, remain Faithful." She hung her head in shame.

Tears welled up in Esteldur's own eyes and he did not know what to do. He was filled with such hatred for Sauron - and contempt for the King. "Be brave, like a man!" his father had told him! How? What was he to do? "Aid the Faithful, if you can!" Esteldur knew now... what he must do was all becoming crystal clear, and thought he knew as well what it was to face death - he was seized by a calm peace... but also by a great resolve.

Before any could stay him, he reached to his saddle-bag, pulled out the cursed scroll with Sauron's message for the King and thrust it deep into the fire. His hand was scorched, but he would not risk the message being saved. As he hoped, the flames quickly enveloped it - and it was soon gone.

Esteldur turned toward Demaethor and, extending his hands forward that they might be bound, he said, "I have betrayed your King and his servant Sauron to my doom, for I have destroyed the message Sauron meant for the King. I surrender myself to you, oh Demaethor - do to me as thou must. I only ask that I may see my brother Forthon one last time before I die!"

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 03-22-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:29 PM   #45
trolls' bane

ooc. I sure use a lot of onomatopoeias, don't I? Oh well!
ic. "Yaah!! Ouch!!! Get it off! GET IT OFF!!!!! Yaaaah!"
The man at the helm still comically danced around the helm in pain.
I've got to get up and turn that loud creature off. I could always make those things again. I made them in the first place. Sherlock thought. Must get up. Well now I know where the other boat went. Probably to the other side of the island, snuk ashore, and lit my shed on fire. Now the question is, did they escape?
He stood up, dove in the water (he had taken off the mail), and retrieved the oar, which had floated a ways after his several-minute-long swoon. He pulled himself onto the raft and paddled toward the boat. Immeadiately, he released his brother, who collapsed onto the deck. Then he went up the short ladder to where the helm was. The man was still howling with agony, but the pain was evidently subsiding. Sherlock was lucky enough to still the man so he could take out the arrow. The man stood silently holding his hand, which probably still hurt. Sherlock took the helm, wiped blood off where the arrow had been with his shirt cuff, and steered toward the island.
No wind, but he was lucky, for the tide was high, and the ship was within ten meters of the shore in a few minutes. Four meters. Sherlock jumped down with the mooring rope. He pulled as hard as he could to get it close enough to tie it to a tree, in which he succeeded.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nariel jumped at the sound of a loud THUD, followed by a rumbling noise.
From where her uncle's wood/storage shed had been, smoke was billowing in a black pillar. And out of it, things were flying about, leaving a trail of smoke behind each. Whenever they hit something, they exploded, and some exploded in midair.
She was not on the roof anymore. Just then, one of the smoke trailswas headed toward where she was crouched. She jumped sideways just before it hit...
Nothing.
It just stuck in the ground. She was afraid to go near it, and crawled behind a rock. There she sat, wondering who that cloaked figure was who had pushed Fingolfin aside and shot the "tube" at one of the two boats. It couldn't have been her uncle, because a few seconds before she had been watching him sneak toward the coast and hide behind that tree she had been told was planted where her uncle's boat had been ruined.

After about twenty minutes, she peered around the rock at the object. It was still in the ground. She looked past it and down the cliff-face beyond it, where she could still see the coast, which went all around the island despite it's south-western cliff. Further south, near the southern peninsula, she saw her uncle trying to bring a boat close enough to the familiar tree.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why can't I see!? I hope I don't walk off the cliff face or something. What happened to my vision?
Fingolfin was lost. Lost on a small island. A small island, I might add, with trees only on one side. The island was not even a quarter of a mile across.
One minute he saw, the next, he couldn't.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:30 AM   #46
Beor

Ooc: Val, I will get the next part posted tonight. Very very good, though, my compliments!
Old 03-23-2004, 04:03 PM   #47
Beor

Demaethor and Esteldur were riding into town, heading for the kings encampment, when the boy accidently let the message slip. So, the new orders were to attack Elendil. He supposed it was just a matter of time anyway. He didn’t feel like going into battle, not now, not so close to sailing across the sea. No battle seemed fair to him anymore anyway, but espically not against Elendil. He had served alongside Elendil on many voyages, and had fought within spitting distance of him in the war with Sauron. This was ill news indeed.

They trotted into town, and soon were amongst his soldiers, who were, in modern Numenorian fashion, attempting to belittle one of the women that Sauron had sent them. Demaethor never really liked that his men basically raped women, espically Numenorian women, but to put a stop to it would bring unnecessary attention to him from Sauron, and that he didn’t need, so he condoned it, and looked the other way.

He was lost in these thoughts when the boy, Esteldur, spurred his horse into the crowd of them and knocked several back, away from the woman. Then he started shouting something about his sister, and kept spinning the horse, pushing the men away. Demaethor sat on his horse, watching with amazement the fight of the boy. A fourteen year old boy fighting off several Numenorian veterans, for the right reasons. Had to admire that kind of courage. Then he threw the message in the fire, and extended his hands to Demaethor, requesting to be bound.

Demaethor could see the hope in the boy’s eyes, as if the boy was pleading with him to help.

“Esteldur, for your insolence and attack against the king’s soldiers, you must be brought before the king. Only his judgement will do in this matter. An attack on the kings men is as an attack on the king, and you will be brought before him.”

Demaethor looked at his sister, “and you as well, lady, for you have spoken ill of one of the king’s officers, and justice must be served to all.”
There is no justice here,” the woman snapped, and she spat upon Demaethor’s cloak.
The men lunged at her. In a moment, his scimitar was drawn and swooped a line between her and the men, “NO!” he yelled, “No one will touch her, no one! Demaethor will take her before the king, and no other! Is that understood?” he turned to his men, who were shocked by his sudden anger, “Is that understood?!” His men mumbled in agreement. He scanned them angrily, “Good, then back to your work. Get you ready to sail, and do not led whores such as this distract you again. Period.” He bound the boy and the woman, and led them behind his horse down the street.

Pharazon was sitting in a throne inside a large, overly-adonrned mini-palace that the slaves from Middle-earth had built for his short encampment. Demaethor led the two up to the gate, and spoke with the guard, informing him of the situation. They were admitted, but not the horse. He dismounted, and led his prisioners before the king.

The king looked at him with his usual hard glare, but his voice was soft, “Captain Demaethor, welcome. Who are these thralls that you lead into my hall, and why is one dressed as a messenger boy of the High Counsellor Sauron?”

Demaethor bowed, and answered, “My lord, he is dressed as such because he is a messenger of the Counsellor. He and this lady have caused a commotion in the streets among the soldiers, and await the judgement of the king on the matter.” He hoped the two would refrain from calling out, or any other rash action, the king could be gentle, but he did not appreciate insolence in his court. They held their tounges, and it was well that they did.

The king eyed him, “Surely a Captain of the Kings army, espically one such as yourself could deal with this in the street, as you should have, rather than bring them before the king.”

“Aye my lord, and the captain would have, but this messenger had a message to bring to you, and he burned it in the fire. I would not have known this, had I not ridden with him from the north. He was in my charge when the outbreak happened, and I assume some of the blame myself, for I did not constrain him, as I should have.”

“Dear Demaethor, stand, and look me in the eye. You are a proud captain of Numenor, not a babysitter. You are blameless. These however, espically the boy, will pay dearly for their insolence. You said he burned the message, who was it from?”

“Sauron.”

“Then they must burn.” He motioned for the guards to take the prisioneers, “Come Demaethor, and join me for a -“

“My lord,” Demaethor inturrepted, “Should they not be sent to Sauron, for the boy was in his trust to deliver the message, and I am certain that Sauron would like to deal with this…betrayal.”

The king met his cold gaze, and held it for a moment. Then he motioned the guards off, and said to Demaethor, “Captain, send the boy to Armenelos. The girl, sent her to my herum, there she will await me, with the rest of the stock.”

Demaethor almost spoke again, but decided that second guessing the king once was good enough for one night, “yes, my lord”

They exited the small palace, and made for his flat. “What are you doing?” The woman asked.

“Do not meddle in the mind of the Great Captain Demaethor, as you called me. You will know soon enough. Just follow like nothing is wrong. We are all going to Rommenos, and you will sail with one who’s name we will not speak here. I must go to my house and retrieve my sword and mail. Then we ride.”
Old 03-23-2004, 04:28 PM   #48
Valandil

Quote:

There is no justice here,” the woman snapped, and she spat upon Demaethor’s cloak.
ooc post: You like a woman with spirit, eh?

(EDIT: and very good yourself, Beor!)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 03-23-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:32 PM   #49
Valandil

Quote:
They exited the small palace, and made for his flat. “What are you doing?” The woman asked.

“Do not meddle in the mind of the Great Captain Demaethor, as you called me. You will know soon enough. Just follow like nothing is wrong. We are all going to Rommenos, and you will sail with one who’s name we will not speak here. I must go to my house and retrieve my sword and mail. Then we ride.”
Amariel stopped in her tracks, stunned - but only briefly. She joined in stride behind him, head lowered and began to speak in a hushed voice: "Are YOU indeed then secretly among the Faithful? I marvel that you have lingered so long with the King's forces. But please, sir, if we go as you say,... my brother Esteldur and I have yet another brother and another sister in this camp... is there not a way to bring them with us?"

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-23-2004, 04:38 PM   #50
Beor

"I will not speak openly, even in hushed voices, of where my alliegence lies, but suffice to say, I will not sail west.
"Your brother, Forthon, I believe, he is a soldier under my command? Then I shall send for him, as help for me in this journey. However, your sister may be lost, for I can see no viable way to gather her, unless by chance. There are too many soldiers about, and though they do not know that you were to stay with the king, they may soon find out, and then we will have problems to deal with. Please, I will send for your brother, but your sister may be lost. Praytell, do you know where she is?"
Old 03-23-2004, 04:55 PM   #51
Valandil

Quote:
"...Please, I will send for your brother, but your sister may be lost. Praytell, do you know where she is?"
Amariel struggled to contain her excitement. "Yes! I know EXACTLY where she is! I am allowed... breaks... and I can visit both my brother and my sister. I was to be granted permission to attend her wedding tomorrow. May I go to her and bring her? Or send someone to retrieve her where she is?"

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-23-2004, 05:02 PM   #52
Beor

Demaethor thought it over, "Yes, when your brother arrives, I will send him, but you must tell him what is happening, or he will assume I really mean to have you all executed, and no man would willingly bring his sister to the gallows. Once your brother arrives, we will go to my flat, and I will go upstairs, leaving the two of you to the care of your brother, tell him then, and when I come down, I will give him the order. Once they return, we will put all three of you on a horse, and your brother and I shall lead you out of town. Once we are beyond the city, we shall ride with all speed for Rommenos, assuming everything goes well. We must move quickly now, though, for soon, the king might be requesting your....services, and you will not be there for him, and we will be discovered. Come!"
Old 03-23-2004, 05:32 PM   #53
Beor

Demaethor rode on faster, pulling them along, but he did it for the sake of everyone watching. He did not want to draw too much attention, for he was already fearing that someone might suspect something.

When they got to his flat, he went up and grabbed his axe and his mail, and came back down. Forthon was there, and he had brought his sister, and two other soldiers.

"Forthon, what is the meaning of this? I sent for only your sister, not more men"

"My lord, these men are loyal to you," He put emphasis on the 'you', and wish to come with you to the court of Sauron to properly dismiss these prisioners."

"I understand you, Forthon, come, let us ride, and ride quickly. We will take the road directly to Armenellos, for we are in need of haste."

ooc: Val, take one, if you would . I kindof dont know exactly where to go right now.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:47 PM   #54
Valandil

Quote:

ooc: Val, take one, if you would . I kindof dont know exactly where to go right now.
OOC post:

Will do, but have to wait for a good block of time... so will be later.

Nice set-up for me!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-23-2004, 08:52 PM   #55
trolls' bane

Gollum

"Fingolfin"
He heard something and awoke, but his eyes remained closed. What had he just heard that woke him up? He didn't remember.
"Fingolfin"
It was a voice. More than that, it was a voice that he had never heard before. Who could that be? he wondered. He heard other voices in the background. He listened.
"Now what happened, Nariel?" the new voice asked.
"Don't know," Nariel's voice replied. "He was hit on the head hard, though. Very hard. Wonder who that strange looking man was."
"Tell the whole thing. I want to know what happened to my shed," Sherlock's voice said.
"First he pushed Fingolfin aside, and lit that "tube"...thing. He shot it at the boat you were after.
"Wait, you made that shot?" Sherlock's voice asked. "Wonderful shot indeed."
"Indeed?" the new voice asked, and sounded as if he wasn't convinced about something.
"Then he ran off," Nariel's voice continued. "And a few minutes later, I went down to go to my uncle. I ran down to the beach where he was, but he was gone when I got there. I waited a while, but then went up to the cliff ledge to look for him. There I waited a while , and saw him paddleing his raft toward the small ship. And then..."
"The explosion," Sherlock finished for her.
"Yes. I crouched down when on flew above my head, and I jumped aside when this one flew at me. I waited for a while, and saw you trying to tie the ship to the tree. I went down to where you were tying it, but on the way, I saw Fingolfin and someone else charging at a group of people, maybe five. Then, someone came up behind and hit him with a very large rock."
"Interesting," said another voice, somewhat like Sherlock's.
Fingolfin, filled with curiosity as to who all these people were, opened his eyes to see them. However, what he saw made his heart sink. He saw nothing. No light. Nothing. He knew his eyes were open, too.
This, however, apparently caught the attention of the people around him. They stopped talking.
After a few minutes of silence, another new voicce said, "Finally. If I didn't know that he wasn't dead, I would not have argued against him being buried."
"Shut up!" Sherlock exclaimed. "Leave the boy alone. After all, he did get knocked on the head hard and fell off a cliff just yesterday."
"Where am I?" Fingolfin managed to ask.
"That's what I am beginning to wonder," said the new voice. You've been unconcious since we foun you at the cliff-base. Took you long enough to wake up."
"As my brother said," the second voice put in, "shut up, Ivan."
"Am I dead?" Fingolfin pressed.
"No, because if you were dead, and you went to Illuvatar, he wouldn't be here," the second voice said.
"Now shut up BOTH of you!" said Sherlock. "You spend too much time rattleing and blundering on about nonsense when you should be preparing for departure."
"But I can't work, Ivan complained. "What about my hand. It's-"
"If you say that it's getting infected one more time, I will personally see to it that it does get infected. Now go out to the boat, and start preparing for departure" said the first voice.

All of the people present, the man whose hand was pinned to the helm, Ivan; Sherlock, his brother, Frank; Nariel, and Fingolfin, all stared at the man, although Fingolfin's gaze was somewhat to the right of where the man was. Even the warm, vibrating object that lay by Fingolfin's left leg (which he had just discovered to be his cat, Beleg) became suddenly alert. The two who were arguing obeyed after a long silence. Even after, there was a silence among those that remained in the room.
He turned toward Fingolfin, hwo now sat upright.
"Can you see me?" he asked.
"No"
"Do you know what happened to you?"
"No"
"Do you know where you are?"
"I can guess."
Old 03-24-2004, 10:57 AM   #56
Valandil

Quote:
Demaethor:
"I understand you, Forthon, come, let us ride, and ride quickly. We will take the road directly to Armenellos, for we are in need of haste."
"Ride? Armenelos?" said Magwiel. Forthon explained to Demaethor that she had only just arrived... and also that, upon hearing of the plan, he had sent for these other two men, whom he knew to be Faithful, travel clothes and horses for each in the party. The plan was outlined to Magwiel.

"But when I saw Esteldur, I thought he had come for my wedding. I am to be wed tomorrow!" said Magwiel.

Amariel spoke up, "Magwiel! We have no time for such foolishness. You have only just met this man, Oronil. You are being forced into this marriage. Come with us and we'll start a new life among the Faithful."

"The Faithful!" Magwiel nearly spat. "Do you still cling to those notions taught us by our parents? How did it help THEM when Sauron's men came for them? Oronil will take care of me now! He is nephew to the Lord of Orrostar... and captains a ship in the fleet of Orrostar, which is part of this great armada. He will go forth and win honor and riches, and send for me - that I may dwell with him in a fairie home in Valinor - a mansion - with fair people as our servants... and I will be 24 forever! We will have all that we can take from Valinor, from Numenor and from Middle-earth. And how could we not? When have the Eldar ever assembled a force even one tenth of this armada? And the Valar have never had a fleet at all! The King looks on Oronil with delight! I will not stoop to be the wife of a... scribe, as was our mother! Nor would I live as you do, Amariel... and you call yourself 'Faithful'!"

Amariel was obviously stung by her sister's words. She collected herself and added, in a voice that was gentle, yet strong; "You know not what you say, little sister. For I was given a choice to do as I have done, or to have that forced upon you. Perhaps it was wrong to do so... to be untrue to myself, but it seemed the 'right' thing to do. I sought to protect you... but I see that I have not done so. My body has been enslaved while my heart remained free... your body was free, but your heart has become enslaved."

Forthon spoke up, "Magwiel, I beg you to reconsider. Ever were you less inclined than we to believe as our mother and father taught us. I beseech you now, to find it in you to accept those things. For, as desperate as our coming flight now seems, I deem it gives greater hope of life than to sail to Valinor... or even to stay here. Come with us, Magwiel... please!"

Magwiel seemed to waver, and Forthon's words caused Esteldur to think. For one, he himself had begun to doubt the Valar of late. For another, the words of Forthon rang true in his heart... and Esteldur wondered if Ar-Pharazon's attack might indeed doom all Numenor. He wondered if he had 'the sight' of his fathers, in some measure - and maybe Forthon had it as well. His mind went back to his vision of a mortal struggle between Elendil and Sauron... yet Elendil seemed so much... older. And Sauron in his vision was so hideous... while the Sauron all in Numenor knew was so fair - in form and in speech! Yet Esteldur just knew it was Sauron in the vision... maybe his mind just projected a horrific image of Sauron because of his hatred for him.

Esteldur was jarred back to the present by sudden action. As Amariel and Magwiel had continued to argue, Magwiel had become more set in her decision to stay. All at once, Forthon threw a piece of cloth over Magwiel's head from behind, and pulled it tight over her mouth. "Amariel, hold her hands!" he shouted. When Amariel hesitated he added, "Worry not that I would harm her, do it!" Soon Forthon had Magwiel tied and gagged, but arrayed her in what comfort he could with cushions and blankets. "Magwiel," he said, "I am sorry for such treatment, but for you to raise the alarm of our leaving would cost our lives - and I do not think you want that. As well, for you to know we left - and NOT have tried to stop it, would likely imperil you - even if it were only based on suspicion. To bring you as captive would slow us greatly and endanger our flight. Tied like this, and prevented from warning any of our flight, you will be absolved - and we will have several hours start. Now, as your big brother, I ask you one last time... will you change your mind and join us?"

Tears flowed from Magwiel's eyes, but Forthon's soft words had calmed her. Nevertheless, she slowly shook her head. Forthon kissed her on the forehead and the cheek, "Then I wish you well, my little sister, though I fear it will not go well for you. I think we shall never meet again, but I leave with you my love."

As Forthon got up to go, Amariel went also to Magwiel, kissed her and spoke soft words of parting. All had left the room save Esteldur and Magwiel. Esteldur put his arms around Magwiel's neck and kissed her cheek. "I love you Magwiel... I wish you would come with us. I hate Sauron and the King for what they have done to our family - and my life is now forfeit unless I flee." He went to the door and looked back at her, looking at him, tears still streaming down. "Magwiel, won't you come with us?" She lowered her head, shook it slowly and turned her face away. Someone pulled the door shut as she did so, and Esteldur was certain this would be the last sight he had of his sister, Magwiel.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 03-29-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:28 AM   #57
Valandil

In the outer hall, Amariel spoke to her brothers in turn; "Forthon, you have done a thing that was hard to do, but it seems you have judged rightly. I know father would wish most that our sister came with us, but I know also that he would be proud of you."

"Esteldur," she placed her hand under Esteldur's chin, holding his face before her and looking into his eyes, "YOUR coming has freed us - and allowed us this chance at escape. I KNOW that both our father and mother would be proud of you. I know that I am. I have always loved you dearly, but when you thrust that scroll in the fire, my eyes were opened to the man that you're becoming... that you've become! Some women my age are already blessed to have a son of 14 - and if you were my son, and not my brother, I think that I should be prouder still - and would indeed feel blessed! How is your hand?"

"Oh, it's nothing..." stammered Esteldur, somewhat embarrassed. "Besides, we can't let it delay us... it would be wrong for us to be trapped here while we attend to some scorched flesh."

"Yes!" Said Demaethor. "We must be off soon! It's nearly midnight. The camp will be asleep at last, save the guards - and we still have six hours to fly ere the sun rises."

Amariel turned to Demaethor and looked in his eyes. "My lord Demaethor, may I speak with you briefly before we go... in private?" Her eyes lowered with the final two words.

OOC: Beor, I'm assuming that's OK and will continue

IC: Demaethor led Amariel into another chamber off the outer hall. "Yes? What is it? We must be off!"

SMACK!

As a warrior, Demaethor had received many blows with much more force, but Amariel's slap caught him completely by surprise.

"I beseech thee, good lord, to never again call me a w***e!"

Quote:
Demaethor recalled his earlier words: “Good, then back to your work. Get you ready to sail, and do not led whores such as this distract you again. Period.”
Amariel had turned to go out, but stopped, turned back to Demaethor and said, "Nonetheless, I thank thee deeply for rescuing my family... when you could have fled alone at much less risk to yourself. You prove why you are held in such esteem." She wheeled back around and went into the outer hall.

OOC: Beor - if thou hast aught to say in response to this, tell thee the tale. Otherwise, we go on...

IC: Esteldur was again bound, as a prisoner being transported - but loosely and in little discomfort. The group mounted their steeds... and they brought along the extra horse intended for Magwiel, as well as the horse Esteldur had ridden from Armenelos... it was too fatigued after the previous day's long ride, to carry a rider just then, but Esteldur was loathe to leave it behind... and it was agreed that spare horses could be of use.

Thus those six rode out from Demaethor's quarters; Demaethor, Forthon, Amariel, Esteldur - and Forthon's two companions; Behirien and Galdureth, each mounted, with two horses more behind. As they left, storm clouds again gathered over Numenor... as they had so often of late. Rain began to fall... and hail, at times... and the dark and quiet of night were disrupted by lightning and thunder from the heavens.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 03-24-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:19 PM   #58
Beor

Ooohh, I like it, Val, its good, really good .

I think Demaethor's stunned silence goes good there, by the way .

I will post most likely tomorrow morning (for me, which is three hours ahed of Greenwich Mean Time)

This is getting really good, too
Old 03-24-2004, 03:11 PM   #59
Valandil

The group rode slowly through the camp, keeping their horses to a walk. At the perimeter, the captain of the guard detail hailed them. "Halt! Who goes there? State your name and business, to be leaving this camp under dark of night."

Demaethor spoke to the captain, explaining that they had a prisoner to send right away to Sauron at Armenelos.

"And you even go yourself, Lord Demaethor? Surely, he must be an important and dangerous prisoner, though he looks but a boy!" replied the guardsman, with a smile creeping across his face.

"I will have none of your cheek, soldier!" said Demaethor quite crossly. "For rumor has it that some who would free him are on the road... I would see my own guard take him at least a day's ride out, as he is my personal responsibility. My sub-alterns are quite capable of seeing to war preparations of my own detachment. Pay heed to your own duties and leave me to work out mine!"

This satisfied the guard, and after asking Demaethor's pardon, he stood aside to let them all pass. The party rode on into the night. Five miles up the coast, Forthon rode up beside Esteldur and grabbed the reins of his horse, halting the two of them. Taking his dagger, he cut Esteldur's bonds, then turned the dagger handle toward his young brother. "Here Esteldur, I have still a bow and a sword to defend myself, with which I have received some training - and father taught us a bit of the bow himself, did he not? If any beset us, they will seek your life, and it were better you had at least this to defend yourself - that you may strike a blow of some sort in your own defense."

They continued north until they reached the road... which Esteldur had left not eight hours before - only shortly before he met Demaethor. Esteldur realized how tired he was... but they needed more miles behind them. Once on the road, they picked up the pace, and the three siblings rode side-by-side.

Amariel was the first to bring it up. "We have yet another brother, and owe it to our parents to bring him with us as well."

Forthon added, "I have learned that Anardil is in the home of Aegnarth, of the guard... not far from where our own home was in Armenelos. A good man by all accounts, like so many, trapped in unpleasant duties"

At dawn they passed a small town along the road. Men were out, going about their tasks, as the storm raged on. Esteldur could not believe his ears... at the curses these men hurled at the Valar about the storm; the rain, the clouds, the hail, the lightning. It seemed to him almost that each curse was echoed by a flash of lightning and a burst of thunder. Then, to all their amazement, a man who stood on the town square, fist upraised, cursing the sky, was struck by a bolt of lightning right before them! They went on, glad to leave that town behind them.

Forthon drew his horse near to Demaethor's. "My lord Demaethor, we have yet another brother. When our parents were taken, he was brought into the home of one Aegnarth of the guard, in Armenelos. In faith to our parents, we would retrieve him, that we may assemble all in our family that we could, having already lost our sister Magwiel. He is but four years old, and his name is Anardil. To detour around Armenelos would cost us much time - but to pass discretely through the town, and take him as we go, would be but little delay. Can we rescue also our little brother?"

OOC: If any female 'Mooters out there would like to play Amariel, let me know... not sure I can properly handle this tension between her and Demaethor!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 03-24-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:19 PM   #60
Beor

ooc: You are very good at names as well.

I will post tomorrow, if this is where you want me to pick up. I will post in the morning (if all goes well), its the money thing, man, I am not trying to hold up the game or anything.