Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

The Fall of Numenor

Okay, this is my very first RPG at the Moot, so bear with me. This is about the Faithful at the time of the Fall of Numenor. We are pursecuted by the Sauron, and his puppet the king. We hear of the plan to sail to Valinor, and also of Elendil's plan to make a dash for Middle Earth before it's too late.
We need plenty of Men (guys and girls), good guy and bad guys, if anybody wants to play on Sauron's side. Some elves, too.
I'll wait for some more people before actually starting.

Name: Gilwen (a name taken after becoming one of the Faithful, gifted to her by an elf who saw her singing under the stars)
Race: Men, Numenorian
Description: Very tall, in the Numenorian manner, with long, wavy chesnut hair, sea-grey eyes and a clean complexion.
History: Her parents were of the Faithful, taken by the king's soldiers eight years ago. She does not know if they were put to death, or merely imprisoned. She works as a hand-maiden in the house of Elendil.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Gollum

Ok. I hope anyone after me doesn't think I'm crazy for this, but I'm going to be an inventor (one of the Faithful) and I live on an island near to the shores of ME. I accidently bumped my ship (full of an explosive dust I found) too hard into it. You could guess what happened soon after. But, luckily I was also good at building things (like a raft), and I also have a few spies who bring me news from ME and Numenor. My name is Sherlock Baskerville (what, I know I'm bad at making up names).
By the way, Rosie Gamg...uh...Gilwen, can you have 2 chareaters?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:46 PM   #3
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

As there's no one else here- and it's gonna take a while to get to Sherlock Isle- I'd have to say... SURE!
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

Ooo! I shall join! Do you mind if I'm insane Sea-Elf? That's about as Elvish as I can get, we Dwarves have a hard time playing Elves, you know!

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
trolls' bane

Gollum

Ok then. My second character will be Sherlock's niece, Nariel Baskerville. She lives in Numenor, but often brings messages and news to me. Although it sounds too modern, I will call my laboratory a laboratory, but that's only because I don't know what else to call it.

Nariel Baskerville approached the door of the laboratory that her uncle, Sherlock, had built on his small island. When she got to the door, she knocked and called in "Uncle?"
She heard him holler "Come in, Nariel. Could you please leave the door open when you enter?"
This she did, and she found him working on a large, tube shaped...thing with a large hole on the end facing out the large door, and another(much smaller) on top through which he began pouring the black powder (gunpowder to us) that his father, her grandfather, had discovered. Then she remembered the sad tale of how her grandfather died. He was persecuted by Sauron because he posed a threat to his power. Sherlock had escaped, and set sail for a small island about halfway between Middle-Earth and Numenor, on which he was shipwrecked. She remembered when he left, too.
When he finished pouring the right amount in, he said to her "Get behind that wooden plank, and remember to cover your ears when I say to."
She went behind the plank and watched him through a hole where a knot in the wood once was. He picked up a large round rock and placed it in the large hole in the front of the tube. Then he cut a peice of thin rope, placed one end into the small hole on top, and lit it with a torch. Then he quickly yelled "Cover your....!" She didn't have time. His last words were lost to a deafening BOOM that shook the earth, then a crash, during which a skidding sound started and ended with another crash. All this happened within a second. Then, she heard her uncle start to cough wildly, and then she began to see and smell smoke. Her uncle, between a fit of coughs, managed to sputter out a few curses to his "accursed, worthless invention" and that it was safe to come out.
She came out and examined the room. Smoke was everywhere. Right next to the door was a large hole in the wall full of splinters, and just on the opposite of where the contraption had been, were broken and splintered tables (which were in a row throughout the lab from front to back), papers still floating around, and another larger splintery hole in the wall.
When he got ouside and his coughing died down, he thought Wonderful. Now I have to walk both ways.

I'll continue this later. My evil "One Laptop To Rule Them All " is in worse shape than ever. Now, instead of warnings and crashes daily, they're hourly, and my eyes hurt because it looks like someone put a net over my screen. I want an new laptop !
Old 03-09-2004, 11:08 PM   #6
trolls' bane

...*gasp* I didn't know there actually was a mooter named Nariel...oh no, that's right. She's the one who gave nurv the cheesecake!!
Old 03-10-2004, 11:42 PM   #7
elvishfaerie3088
Elven Warrior

I'd join, but could you make the plot a bit more precise i'm really confused by it, so i'll join if you can make it more clear
Jack: "Monkey!"
"It's captain Jack Sparrow, captain..."
"If you were waiting for the opportune moment that was it."
Red coat, "Impersonating a judge."
Jack: (Oh, ya that was fun look on his face)
"Do us a favour...i know it's hard...but stay here and try not to do...anything...stupid."
"Yes...but why is the rum gone?!"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"

*~~Elvish Faerie~~*
elvishfaerie3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:07 AM   #8
trolls' bane

Gollum

The actual plot, or the plot for my part?
Old 03-11-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
Beor
founder of the color blue

I've never done an RPG before, but I'll join, if you'll have me.

Name: Demaethor

Race: Men, Numenor

Description: Tall with light hair, and a broad build, fought with Ar-Pharazon during the capture of Sauron when he was (age pending, must check UT for accuracy). Spent much of his life at sea or at war. Never loyal to Pharazon, he went to battle grudgingly, bound by honor to keep an oath to a dear friend who was lost in the war. Now war torn and weary, he seeks only to settle down, but it seems that the times will not allow this, as war is brewing yet again. Faced once again with the choice to do as his heart tells him, and abandon Pharazon, thus going against his oath, or to go yet again to war with a king who has abandoned honor for power.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:08 PM   #10
elvishfaerie3088
Elven Warrior

Just the plot, not the plot from your view no offense
Jack: "Monkey!"
"It's captain Jack Sparrow, captain..."
"If you were waiting for the opportune moment that was it."
Red coat, "Impersonating a judge."
Jack: (Oh, ya that was fun look on his face)
"Do us a favour...i know it's hard...but stay here and try not to do...anything...stupid."
"Yes...but why is the rum gone?!"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"

*~~Elvish Faerie~~*
elvishfaerie3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:42 PM   #11
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
This sounds interesting. I've never done an RPG before either, but I'd like to give it a try. I just don't know how much I'll be able to play or contribute, but I'll give it my best shot.

Character: Lysial (female); blonde hair, blue eyes, rather pretty
Race: Men, Numenorian
Weapon of choice: Knife

Lysial travels around quite a bit and is able to use her femininity to uncover crucial information. Her master, the Master Minstrel Jathar, recently died (under mysterious circumstances) and he left her two "priceless" items, a lute with proportedly magic powers (though she hasn't figured them out yet) and a large male tabby cat named Bragi, who "talks" to her -- and only to her -- by telepathy. Unfortunately, she cannot communicate with Bragi mentally, so she has to physically speak to him to communicate (he understands human speech). This can cause problems when she's around other people. They think she's talking to herself and therefore consider her to be somewhat mad -- or just blonde -- whatever!

She's much more intellegent than people credit her (the blonde thing again), has a beautiful, soprano singing voice and has a tendency to be a bit klutzy.

What do you think? Can you use her? I'll probably need some assistance because (as I said) I've never done this before...

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...

Last edited by Beruthiel's cat : 03-12-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:05 PM   #12
Beor

Hey, neither have I, so what the hell, Demaethor's got your back.

Do we need to include a weapon? If so its an axe, Demaethor was never much of a bowman, perferring to get in close to his enemy, close enough to feel their dying breath, and smell his enemy's stink as his axe cleaves and crushes through tissue and bone.

Anyway, I got your back.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:15 PM   #13
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

I dunno if it would be wise for me to get involved in this - since I am ALREADY just about to start my FIRST rpg ('Nomads'), and don't know how much time I can devote to this... however, if I do - I'd be something like:

Name: Esteldur
Numenorean male, age 14
Scribe's Apprentice at the Royal Palace
(EDIT: weapon of choice - pen)
Parents secretly raised him and his siblings to be of 'The Faithful'. His father was a scribe of the palace, but not very long ago, his parents 'disappeared' - while Sauron was making human sacrifices in his infernal dome. He can only fear the worst. The rest of the family was broken up... his older brother was sent to the east of Numenor and taken into the armada which is being prepared there. His younger brother is too young to scribe - so he was adopted into a family of Armenelos. His sisters... not sure. He's trying to keep a 'low profile' and attend to his duties as scribe.

I'm not good at making names... I can work on it though. If anyone has any suggestions...???

PS - Beor, your age works... Sauron was brought back to Numenor a bit less than 60 years before it was destroyed. In fact though, I think even one of the Faithful would have been proud / happy to be a part of that effort of Ar-Pharazon... after all, it was a conquest of Sauron, who was always the enemy of the Elves and Numenoreans. The Faithful may have even hoped that such a 'good' action might incline the King toward other good. You may have even sailed with Amandil and Elendil!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 03-22-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:19 PM   #14
Beor

Yeah, the thing is, he is oath bound to stay loyal to the king (though I havent figured out the oath), its like an inner conflict thing that hopefully will be interesting to see how it pans out...perhaps.

And thank you for the age clarification (97 is still youngish for a Numenorian, right?)
Old 03-12-2004, 04:24 PM   #15
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
Hey, neither have I, so what the hell, Demaethor's got your back.
Thank you, Beor! She's gonna need all the help she can get!

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-12-2004, 04:25 PM   #16
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
Yeah, the thing is, he is oath bound to stay loyal to the king (though I havent figured out the oath), its like an inner conflict thing that hopefully will be interesting to see how it pans out...perhaps.

And thank you for the age clarification (97 is still youngish for a Numenorian, right?)
I think all the Faithful in the army or navy were 'in the same boat' (pun PURELY unintentional! ). Remember, this included Amandil and Elendil... so I'm sure you could talk to the big E! Amandil tells him that there is a loyalty higher than that to the king.

Yes - 97 is still a youngish man for a Numenorean of this time. They were still living to be about 200 - give or take... maybe longer among the Faithful, because those who desired the immortality of the Elves got even shorter lives... non-descendents of Elros may have not lived quite so long - but after 3000+ years, probably a reasonable chunk of the island's population was related to him in SOME way.

The dates are in Appendix B of RotK... so you don't need UT.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 03-12-2004, 05:01 PM   #17
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
if I do - I'd be something like:

Numenorean male, age 14
Scribe's Apprentice at the Royal Palace
Parents secretly raised him and his siblings to be of 'The Faithful'. His father was a scribe of the palace, but not very long ago, his parents 'disappeared' - while Sauron was making human sacrifices in his infernal dome. He can only fear the worst. The rest of the family was broken up... his older brother was sent to the east of Numenor and taken into the armada which is being prepared there. His younger brother is too young to scribe - so he was adopted into a family of Armenelos. His sisters... not sure. He's trying to keep a 'low profile' and attend to his duties as scribe.

I'm not good at making names... I can work on it though. If anyone has any suggestions...???

Hey, Val! Have you been reading my fan fiction attempt in the Writers Workshop??? Your character's occupation leads me to wonder, but, seriously...I know there are only so many occupations available. (Not everyone can be a warrior or wizard, right?)

Since you're looking for a name for your young scribe, I'm prepared to let you borrow "Nedron" if you like it. (I'll take it as a sincere form of flattery...)

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-12-2004, 05:11 PM   #18
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
Hey, Val! Have you been reading my fan fiction attempt in the Writers Workshop??? Your character's occupation leads me to wonder, but, seriously...I know there are only so many occupations available. (Not everyone can be a warrior or wizard, right?)

Since you're looking for a name for your young scribe, I'm prepared to let you borrow "Nedron" if you like it. (I'll take it as a sincere form of flattery...)

Actually, no - I hadn't! I'll scoot on over there a bit later and take a look though. Is it short? I have limited patience for reading off a screen - so good for you if it's long, but I may not make it through it all! I'll see about using the name - let me read what you wrote first.

I was actually thinking about a character like this for something else... have you seen my 'Unwritten Book' thread in the ME forum? Quite infatuated with Arnor, I am! If I ever get to writing all the stories I want, I had in mind that maybe a personal servant of Isildur's family (maybe even a squire or something) would be someone like this, who tried to climb Meneltarma when the island began to sink (saw Queen Miriel ahead of him), got swept away by the wave but managed to cling onto some piece of wood. Later he was driven by the storm to the proximity of Elendil's ships and someone (maybe Isildur's eldest son, Elendur) tied a line around himself and went after him, getting them both hauled into the ship. Even thought this might be a neat history for Estelmo - Elendur's squire from the UT account of 'The Disaster of Gladden Fields' who survived the attack of the orcs. If so, I guess he'd have been 'twice-lucky'!

Also - even as I wrote the description, it seemed like this character might prove quite useful to the game... having access to official written documents of Numenor, etc...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 03-12-2004, 05:21 PM   #19
Beruthiel's cat

This is going to be hard work for me. I'm smack-dab in the middle of reading LotR again, and now I'm going to have to read the Sil (which I've never finished -- shame on me!) and UT (which I haven't even read, despite my rather clever 'Moot name -- double shame on me!) I have looked at your Unwritten Book thread, but it's been awhile. I'll pop over right away. Sounds very interesting!

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-12-2004, 05:32 PM   #20
Valandil

Theoden

OK - I checked it out a little. I HAD actually seen it before... and had scanned it a bit. I guess I was afraid my character seemed lifted RIGHT OUT of your story - like you had written one about a young scribe in Numenor at this time.

I dunno... Your story looks like a romance between Pippin and that young girl, right? Heehee... I just have a hard time imagining. But tell me... would a gal really maybe go for a hobbit fella?

NORMALLY I like the warriors myself though... this rpg just seemed like a chance to take off with that earlier concept I'd mentioned.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court