Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

It really is an eye-opener to read of people saying they liked this one the best of all of Jackson's films. To me, it was the absolute worst. I never want to see it again! I can forgive a lot but deciding that 30 extra minutes of useless kung fu fighting crap necessitated cutting the two coolest scenes in the book (when Gandalf tricks Beorn into slowing accepting the full company as guests and how Bilbo actually outwitted the spiders in Mirkwood), I'm sorry, that I can't easily forgive.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Alec
Elven Warrior

Location: USA until I find ME, than I will be roaming ME on a black steed
Nazgul

Well this review makes me not want to see the movie.
Two of my favorite parts are missing!!!

Never insult a Tolkien freak. You won't understand their reply

Dare to be a Mormon;
Dare to stand alone.
Dare to have a purpose firm;
Dare to make it known.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Maybe it's just that my expectations were lower, or maybe PJ is actually getting a bit better at doing these.

Re: Smaug, I felt they showed a bit too much of him. However, you just know how these editorial meetings go. You need to "deliver" something in the climax for the multiplex cattle.

I always expected them to struggle with the Beorn introduction. They did better than I expected there tbh.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
It really is an eye-opener to read of people saying they liked this one the best of all of Jackson's films. To me, it was the absolute worst. I never want to see it again! I can forgive a lot but deciding that 30 extra minutes of useless kung fu fighting crap necessitated cutting the two coolest scenes in the book (when Gandalf tricks Beorn into slowing accepting the full company as guests and how Bilbo actually outwitted the spiders in Mirkwood), I'm sorry, that I can't easily forgive.

Whilst i agree the Beorn scene is a massive loss (though not sure i'd say "tricked" Beorn, as such, but i get your point) and clearly the Spiders scene is remiss also...

I tend to agree with The Gaffer... perhaps expectations were lower, and if you go in with low expectations and with a clear idea of the style from the first one and just enjoy going to the cinema... leave disbelief firmly in the Foyer, substitute the Book's best scenes for a very Large dose of extra sugary popcorn...
then it can be - and was - (mainly) an enjoyable romp.

Absolutely Tons wrong with it- and i do agree with your comments Jon- but, yeah, i enjoyed it -

My main beef was Bilbo.

Not having a go at Martin, i thought it inspired casting at the time, and he would be an excellent Bilbo... but my beef is more that the Film(s) are very little about Bilbo, he seems increasingly an afterthought, a side-order of lettuce at an epicurean feast, a mere-add on, almost an after-thought that they couldn't quite write out, rather than this being (essentially) ...

Bilbo's story.

Quo Vadis Bilbo in the third film?

A couple of shots of him raising his eyebrows and looking quizzical... shouting "The eagles are coming!"...
and a death scene with Thorin..
before popping back again to pay off the bailiffs?

Ho Hum
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote