Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
One thing makes me wonder... if Gandalf had told Elrond and they eventually told Galadriel - it almost seems like eventually, over the 70+ years, that at least one of them would be insistent that Gandalf look into it and verify just which Ring it was. Especially once Sauron had revealed himself.
I doubt Gandalf told anyone before he was absolutely sure. It became obvious that finding out the exact provinance of Bilbo's Ring was difficult enough as it took Gandalf about a lifetime. Clearly even the Wise knew little of the Rings of Power apart from their own.

That Bilbo had a Ring of Power may have been evident to Elrond when they stayed in Rivendell, without Gandalf's prompting. He's a Ringbearer already in his own right, and I vaguely remember Galadriel hinting at one Ringbearer having an inkling of another. Although that may have been strictly among the Three. I forget.

But Bilbo's state, when he eventually retired to Rivendell after having handed the Ring to Frodo, may have clued Elrond in regardless. Elrond's a healer; an ancient Hobbit, old beyond the normal lifespan, ought to have raised questions.

Quote:
The Dwarves of Erebor could have been the "weak link"... with the whole company knowing SOMEthing, the story likely spread somewhat among the community. At least among their immediate families (at least half were connected with the royal family though, as I recall). With someone coming to make an offer like Sauron's emissary did (I favor the Mouth of Sauron), did any younger Dwarf, who happened to know something, feel tempted to give what information he knew in exchange for a Dwarven Ring?
I doubt it, Dwarves are jealously proud of their own secrets. It would stand to reason that they're just as careful with the secrets of others. It's also part of their trade, I take it. I can't see anyone of them sharing knowledge of something as special as Rings of Power so casually, and certainly not with non-Dwarves! Dwarves don't strike me as the gossip-y kind.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote