Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
patentcad
Sapling

One Ring Ownership Legal Issue and my Response

>>LOTR legal dilemma for lawyers and lawyer-wannabees

This is my paraphrasing of a legal issue posed on the Entmoot forum. I think it's kinda cool so thought I'd pose it here.

Sauron forges the One Ring.

In a battle, Isildur cuts the Ring off of Sauron and takes it for himself.

While riding through a forest some time later, Isildur is attacked by Orcs. He jumps into a nearby river, the Ring falls off his finger and sinks, after which Isildur is shot.

Deagol finds the ring.

Smeagol (Gollum) kills Deagol and takes the Ring for himself.

Gollum loses the ring.

Bilbo finds the Ring, misleads and/or doesn't tell Gollum about it, and keeps it for himself.

Bilbo gives the Ring to Frodo c/o Gandalf.

Frodo lends the Ring to Tom Bombadil for a few minutes, takes it off briefly in Rivendell, is given it back by Elrond, takes it toward Mordor, gets bit by Shelob, after which Sam removes it from his unconcious body.

Some time after that, Sam gives the Ring back to Frodo.

Frodo carries the Ring right up to Mount Doom. Then Gollum steals it back.

Almost immediately thereafter, Gollumn falls into the lava pit of Doom, destroying the Ring.

After the Ring is destroyed, the creditors and heirs of Sauron, Isildur, Deagol, Smeagol, Bilbo, Frodo, Gandalf, Elrond, and Sam initiate a legal battle for compensation for the Ring.

1. Who had legal title to - i.e., owned - the Ring at the time of its destruction?

2. Who owes who what (if any) damages?<<

My response:

This one is easy. Goldeberry, Tom Bombadil's wife, learns that Bombadil is really gay. Did anyone ever doubt this - he prances through the friggin woods singing 'Hey dolly dell o derry hey dolly doo' with flowers in his damn hair. Totally gay.Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Goldeberry sues Bombadil for divorce. After initially attempting to trick Bombadil into a trip to Bree for a quickee no-fault divorce, she realizes that she'll have to file in Gondor District Court in Minas Tirith. She hires the firm of Brandybuck & Took to represent her. They claim the One Ring as part of the Community Property and seek half. In a brilliant end around, Brandybuck argues that since the Ring never could have been 'rendered asunder by any means we then possessed' it is obvious that a deal has to be worked out whereby Goldeberry gets the entire ring. Bombadil represents himself in court and so aggravates the judge that he bascially gives Goldeberry everything, including ownership rights of the One Ring.

This may seem meaningless since the Ring is now destroyed, but under Middle Earth juris prudence Goldeberry can command royalties any time any spoken recounting of the feats involving the One Ring are engaged in in any public venue like Taverns and public feasts. The One Ring stories go into big time syndication, and Goldeberry reaps huge financial rewards for the rest of her life. Bombadil, dejected and lonely after discovering his true sexual identity, wonders aimlessly through the gay taverns of Bree, makes his way to the abandoned West Gate of Moria where he meets a band of dwarves who have come to reclaim their former underground kingdom. Bombadil has a brief fling with Gimli's second cousin Himli whose short stature has obvious benefits for Bombadil. Homosexuality is a non issue in the Dwarf community since the men and women all look alike anyway (per Gimli's own admission in the extended version of Two Towers). Eventually Bombadil is cast out of Moria after he insists on redecorating to 'Bring some light into this friggin dungeon'. That's bad enough, but his 'Haven't you ever heard of 'window treatments' you pathetic little elves' line is the last straw, and Bombadil is thrown out of the East Gate by Himli himself.

What happens to Bombadil after this is unclear; it is widely rumored that he becomes a frequent and successful guest speaker on the rubber boar's head circuit. He writes a brilliant autobiography but dies frustrated waiting for somebody in Middle Earth to finally invent the friggin printing press.

(posted by me yesterday on The Gear Page)
patentcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

The One Ring is a Weapon of Mass Oppression, and no one may legaly hold title to one.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
Nibs
Head Hollara

A little part of me died after reading that.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patentcad
>>LOTR legal dilemma for lawyers and lawyer-wannabees

This is my paraphrasing of a legal issue posed on the Entmoot forum. I think it's kinda cool so thought I'd pose it here.

Sauron forges the One Ring.

In a battle, Isildur cuts the Ring off of Sauron and takes it for himself.

While riding through a forest some time later, Isildur is attacked by Orcs. He jumps into a nearby river, the Ring falls off his finger and sinks, after which Isildur is shot.

Deagol finds the ring.

Smeagol (Gollum) kills Deagol and takes the Ring for himself.

Gollum loses the ring.

Bilbo finds the Ring, misleads and/or doesn't tell Gollum about it, and keeps it for himself.

Bilbo gives the Ring to Frodo c/o Gandalf.

Frodo lends the Ring to Tom Bombadil for a few minutes, takes it off briefly in Rivendell, is given it back by Elrond, takes it toward Mordor, gets bit by Shelob, after which Sam removes it from his unconcious body.

Some time after that, Sam gives the Ring back to Frodo.

Frodo carries the Ring right up to Mount Doom. Then Gollum steals it back.

Almost immediately thereafter, Gollumn falls into the lava pit of Doom, destroying the Ring.

After the Ring is destroyed, the creditors and heirs of Sauron, Isildur, Deagol, Smeagol, Bilbo, Frodo, Gandalf, Elrond, and Sam initiate a legal battle for compensation for the Ring.

1. Who had legal title to - i.e., owned - the Ring at the time of its destruction?

2. Who owes who what (if any) damages?<<

My response:

This one is easy. Goldeberry, Tom Bombadil's wife, learns that Bombadil is really gay. Did anyone ever doubt this - he prances through the friggin woods singing 'Hey dolly dell o derry hey dolly doo' with flowers in his damn hair. Totally gay.Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Goldeberry sues Bombadil for divorce. After initially attempting to trick Bombadil into a trip to Bree for a quickee no-fault divorce, she realizes that she'll have to file in Gondor District Court in Minas Tirith. She hires the firm of Brandybuck & Took to represent her. They claim the One Ring as part of the Community Property and seek half. In a brilliant end around, Brandybuck argues that since the Ring never could have been 'rendered asunder by any means we then possessed' it is obvious that a deal has to be worked out whereby Goldeberry gets the entire ring. Bombadil represents himself in court and so aggravates the judge that he bascially gives Goldeberry everything, including ownership rights of the One Ring.

This may seem meaningless since the Ring is now destroyed, but under Middle Earth juris prudence Goldeberry can command royalties any time any spoken recounting of the feats involving the One Ring are engaged in in any public venue like Taverns and public feasts. The One Ring stories go into big time syndication, and Goldeberry reaps huge financial rewards for the rest of her life. Bombadil, dejected and lonely after discovering his true sexual identity, wonders aimlessly through the gay taverns of Bree, makes his way to the abandoned West Gate of Moria where he meets a band of dwarves who have come to reclaim their former underground kingdom. Bombadil has a brief fling with Gimli's second cousin Himli whose short stature has obvious benefits for Bombadil. Homosexuality is a non issue in the Dwarf community since the men and women all look alike anyway (per Gimli's own admission in the extended version of Two Towers). Eventually Bombadil is cast out of Moria after he insists on redecorating to 'Bring some light into this friggin dungeon'. That's bad enough, but his 'Haven't you ever heard of 'window treatments' you pathetic little elves' line is the last straw, and Bombadil is thrown out of the East Gate by Himli himself.

What happens to Bombadil after this is unclear; it is widely rumored that he becomes a frequent and successful guest speaker on the rubber boar's head circuit. He writes a brilliant autobiography but dies frustrated waiting for somebody in Middle Earth to finally invent the friggin printing press.

(posted by me yesterday on The Gear Page)
Whoever is in sourons will...

P.S.
Post 450!!!
Only 50 posts until elf lord satus!!!
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

What about a patent on Great rings?
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:58 PM   #6
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Now this has gone to far. GOldberry would never get it. Obviosuly the family and estates of Deagol would recieve fair compensation. Heres why. Sauron without mandate of the courts is oppressing people and therefore Isildur has every right as King to have Suaron cease and desist. Having accomplished said he takes the ring as fair compensation. However he himself having gone corrupt and having lsot the madate of heavan thereof. THe orcs have every right to take ring back as also fair and legal trials were not given to the orcs and they were denied their civil liberties. So it was completely within reason to kill Isildur. (for all we know they wanted to take the ring back and destroy it) Deagol finds ring and is promptly killed. He had given present to Smeagol and therefore Smeagols claim to it is waived. All matters afterward not withstanding for all ownership afterward was illegal as the ring still belonged to Deagol. Therefore punitive damages and emotional damages should be paid to the Deagol estate and also the Estate of Smeagol should be brought to justice for the wrongful slaying of a member of the Deagol estate.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:22 PM   #7
inked
Elf Lord

You ignore the fact that if there had been recovery the lawyers would receive 75 - 90 % of the recovery in whatever currency and that the alleged injured parties would have to pay court costs out of their "recovery" - leaving them with a mere 15% at the outside. Hardly worth it even at compound interest rates!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #8
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Now thats a good point. But then again the ring is worth an awful lot of money and possibly even 15% could amass a large sum. Still. Myabe they could hire Gandalf as their attorney. Im sure he isnt greedy for money. He has no need for it. Does it ever mention once Gandalf sleeping. No. or eating. I think he has no need for money so he would represent out of the honesty in his heart.