Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 11:16 PM   #21
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Gah! Cant type fast anymore! NOOO! Okay, will resort to typing it in word then pasting it here.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #22
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
I have no clue what they could talk about, but a conversation for them to avoid would be one involving any memories of Sirion...
No kidding!!

Edit - just saw your new pic - I really like those colors - very interesting, warm, earthy tones. I like the blouse esp.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-30-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:11 AM   #23
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
She's only just across the street and she's got pretty sharp eyesight, plus the inside of the mansion is lighted which means that someone looking in from the dark would see the inside very well. So be careful which windows you have the action taking place by.
Maggie, don't forget, it is a very foggy night. How good are Elvish eyes in heavy, deep fog?

There should be heavy, dark, black draperies over every last window, and shutters when appropriate. Have to keep out those prying eyes someway. Who knows what dark deeds go on in the Orrodel Mansion?
Old 10-30-2005, 01:21 AM   #24
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Since when was heavy fog specified? Ah well, she'll still see foggy outlines of anyone moving around down below, and her hearing is excellent. I'm certainly not aiming to have her witness anything that'd be a dead giveaway. Bit early for that.

Edit: Found the reference to fog, still, doesn't sound like it's heavy enough to prevent an elf seeing across a street.

Seeing through curtains is unfortunately not one of her abilities though... Unless said curtains get ripped down in the fight.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 10-30-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:34 AM   #25
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Since when was heavy fog specified? Ah well, she'll still see foggy outlines of anyone moving around down below, and her hearing is excellent. I'm certainly not aiming to have her witness anything that'd be a dead giveaway. Bit early for that.
Edit: Found the reference to fog, still, doesn't sound like it's heavy enough to prevent an elf seeing across a street.
Maggie, the fog was thick. See below:

Butterbeer’s Post #323 - “As the bell tower tolled eerily and dully in the thick grey swirling fog entombing the City as the last dull echoes of the tenth peal ended the City Crier called out ‘All's Well!’”

Udukhaturz’ Post #328 - “Outside, Udu found that the fog from the river was swirling low about the city, damp and thick. He enjoyed nights like this and felt a kinship for the darkness and the mists.”

Quote:
Seeing through curtains is unfortunately not one of her abilities though... Unless said curtains get ripped down in the fight.
It hasn't come to that yet. It might.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:27 AM   #26
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

All I have posted about Khamul and Melwen. I am afraid I may have gone too far in developing Khamul's character, so TD! , I am ready to edit the post if you ask.
However, I wanted to use my very own Melwen myself, before the Chancellor comes and does her in.

Rian, I beg you, post about Arastud's reaction! He is your own guy, after all! What he does is entirely up to you!
Old 10-30-2005, 09:56 AM   #27
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:

I think that perhaps Mahtaliel should see Khamul lead Melwen outside to where the stable boys sleep - THAT would surely raise her level of suspicion, especially once he returned again almost immediately, seeming quite pleased with himself. Once there - she might hear all kinds of things, if she sticks around - and if all the ringwork DOES set off a fire in the house, that's going to rouse the whole city!

Lotesse (other Nazgul, please note) - OK, the Nazgul being able to not alarm horses in general about themselves is one thing, but NO WAY would they be able to go near one of the Mearas without causing GREAT unrest - and I think NEVER would a Meara let a Nazgul ride them. Do the rest of you agree?

You Nazgul are definitely getting sloppy... you won't remain secret for long... not long at all!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 10-30-2005, 10:53 AM   #28
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Rian - it was also interesting to learn that Tyaron is known as a 'swordsman'! What can you tell us about that?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 10-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #29
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Udu, I edited my post, the fog has been dealt with.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 10-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #30
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Udu, I edited my post, the fog has been dealt with.
Yes, I see, you made the fog dissipate:
"A breeze had sprung up and the previously heavy fog had dissapated to become a fine, refreshing mist."

But you speak of the time around 1AM:
"At least an hour had passed since she had left the reception and it had been midnight then."

But here is the quote from my post #397 "Quietly they slipped into the garden. In the Shadow World, the fog was moving in white waves made radiant by moonlight."

You argued yourself, that the Morgul Lord and Aiwendis could not set off to Orrodel BEFORE 1AM.

So, as my post #397 precedes yours #404, the fog at 1AM still existed.
But, of course, you may make it thinner or more likely there was thick fog near the ground and only mist at the top of the wall.

Actually I liked your post, LMM, but don't hope to see too much.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-30-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #31
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

CS,, I liked the way you disposed of the maid. I sort of hoped for more bloodshed, but it can always come later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
I think that perhaps Mahtaliel should see Khamul lead Melwen outside to where the stable boys sleep - THAT would surely raise her level of suspicion, especially once he returned again almost immediately, seeming quite pleased with himself. Once there - she might hear all kinds of things, if she sticks around - and if all the ringwork DOES set off a fire in the house, that's going to rouse the whole city!
No way, Valandil. Re-read CS's post more attentively, please. Khamul turned himself invisible before leading Melwen to the stables and returned invisible back. So, IF Mahtaliel could see some of Orrodel inner court (with trees in it) at all, all she would be able to see would be a maid staggering unsteadily ALONE across the courtyard towards the stables. One needed to be a Calaquendi elf, or to wear a ring on his finger, to see Khamul at all, much less, whether he was pleased with himself, or not.

Quote:
Lotesse (other Nazgul, please note) - OK, the Nazgul being able to not alarm horses in general about themselves is one thing, but NO WAY would they be able to go near one of the Mearas without causing GREAT unrest - and I think NEVER would a Meara let a Nazgul ride them. Do the rest of you agree?
NO! I most definitely don't agree!
I have spent ages arguing with one Forkbeard in this thread here: Nazgul horses, that ALL THE NAZGUL HORSES WERE MEARAS.
There is plenty of evidence for that. I will not repeat it again here, as I admit since that argument, this question makes me unnecessary edgy.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-30-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #32
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Just because the fog is still thick in the garden doesn't mean that it can't have thinned out on the street. Fog is weird like that; at home in Seattle we'll get foggy days where the density of the fog changes from being so thick you can't see more than a yard or two in front to being almost nonexistent in the space of a city block.

And no, I wasn't planning to have her see too much, you're right that she couldn't have seen the stables from where she is. The main door on the other hand...

As for the horses... it is odd that a Meara who hasn't been specifically conditioned to accept a nazgul rider would be that calm around one.

- The Crucible

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 10-30-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #33
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Just because the fog is still thick in the garden doesn't mean that it can't have thinned out on the street. Fog is weird like that; at home in Seattle we'll get foggy days where the density of the fog changes from being so thick you can't see more than a yard or two in front to being almost nonexistent in the space of a city block.
Yes, certainly. But normally the fog is denser on the ground. The University is on the hill. Atop the wall, there is likely to be no fog, down in the garden and at a lower level, in the street, the fog should be denser. But anyway, what is there to see in the fog? - the 3 Nazgul are invisible.

Quote:
And no, I wasn't planning to have her see too much, you're right that she couldn't have seen the stables from where she is. The main door on the other hand...
The opening and closing of the main door is all yours. I thought to make the Morgul Lord and K go around the house, but I decided they had no way to know you were watching.

And, considering that the University is on the hill + the height of the walls, I believe it was POSSIBLE for Mahtaliel to see the far end of the court and the stables. (And to spot Melwen walking alone and drunk to the stableboys's room). The main bedroom must face the street, as Khamul saw the light there when approaching the house. But the curtains are drawn, I believe.

Quote:
As for the horses... it is odd that a Meara who hasn't been specifically conditioned to accept a nazgul rider would be that calm around one.
At the time of LOTR the nazgul had no rings, so they certainly couldn't become visible or totally invisible (clothes and all). I believe that in their weakened ringless state they couldn't counter the fear in animals and humans effectively, even it they wanted to. Mearas, by the way, were less affected by nazgul presence than other horses. (Shadowfax at the Gate of M.Tirith)

In this RPG the nazgul have their rings, can turn visible, and are able to appear normal to EVERYONE, including elves and animals, but excluding maiar, Calaquendi elves and Ring-wielders.

Rian, Will you, please, continue Arastud's story?

Serenoli, I am not at all sure that I understood Tolvadok right. I am eager to change my post and make Aiwendis like him , if I was wrong about him.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-30-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:39 PM   #34
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

When I put Viv in the park, staring at the clear, star-filled night sky, I had no idea there was supposaed to be fog. I guess it's been SO LONG since the evening began, that I plumb forgot about the fog that Butterbeer and everyone made. (watch out, here comes Eeyore!) NOT that anyone cares...

Udu - there weren't any drapes pulled either in the boudoir or in Viv's room. The windows were open, no?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-30-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #35
CrazySquirrel

The park is on the high hill, near the Art Museum. So there might have been NO FOG!
Old 10-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #36
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:

You Nazgul are definitely getting sloppy... you won't remain secret for long... not long at all!
WRONG!!!! I am of the opinion that some of the actual Nazgul horses may have been - or WERE - mearas, black Mearas bred by Sauron to endure Nazgul. Don't agree with me, I could care less. Laslech is a Mearas, and she likes Viniglaen, whether or not Viv is evil. So there.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #37
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Udu - there weren't any drapes pulled either in the boudoir or in Viv's room. The windows were open, no?
You mean Lilly's room? The master bedroom?

Why would the window be OPEN?

Look, Lilly may be a fool, but she sure as hell will pull the drapes before making sorcery and before making love with a guy known by everyone in Tharbad as her own brother!
Old 10-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #38
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Because the boudoir is like 3 stories up, and outside the yard is full of cedar trees - and I guess I was just remembering how I had Lomi fly in the open window when Viv came by before - so, never mind. My bad. BTW Crazy Squirrel - I loved your post today!! I like how Khamul puts lust into her head, that was a nice touch.

Gordis, Loved yours, too! Who am I forgetting... anyway, good stuff efveryone! Rian, you DO know yopu can see Viv walking her horse through the park on her way home. So can Aiwendis, Ilmenzor, Tolvadek, Mahtaliel - Viv is clearly visible, and right in the park on her way home. Just so everyone is aware.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #39
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

"Udu - there weren't any drapes pulled either in the boudoir or in Viv's room. The windows were open, no?" - Lotesse

Lotesse, the Nazgul have enough problems without creating a scandal that might rival that of Turin and Nienor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
You mean Lilly's room? The master bedroom?

Why would the window be OPEN?

Look, Lilly may be a fool, but she sure as hell will pull the drapes before making sorcery and before making love with a guy known by everyone in Tharbad as her own brother!
That seems logical... one should always be discreet, especially when making love. Of course, those ladies teas to which Aiwendis is always being invited might enjoy some juicy gossip.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:01 PM   #40
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I was going to possibly have the elf boys work in the stable (I was going to have Arastud's younger brother have to go home sick, and they would fill in just to keep an eye on Rian if she chose to stay), but maybe it's time that she leave Orrodel, since she's going to want to take those 2 classes at the university, anyway. So I think I'll go with that, unless anyone objects (I know Lotesse wanted Rian at Orrodel at one point, so I was trying to come up with ways to keep her there.) Comments?

OTOH, it might be pretty funny to have 3 elves at Orrodel ... I don't know ... the Naz crew would certainly have to restrain themselves, tho, which might be funny...
Rian, Lilly took an elf as a housekeeper just because Khamul ordered her to hire all the servants immediately. Now the household is in order, Lilly will NEVER hire any more elves. She HATES them and they ARE dangerous. Khamul and others understand it as well and feel much the same. She will find many humans eager to work for her given the outrageously good salary she offers.
And if many elves start to visit Rian, I am afraid she will be fired.

As CS I will love to have you in Orrodel, but as Lilly, I am afraid it becomes too risky. Your decision is up to you.

Closed Thread