Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-27-2005, 09:16 PM   #1
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider The Prancing Pony

Curubethion the ranger stood behind the counter. He watched the door open, disclosing a Texas Ranger proudly bearing the symbol of the Riddermark. The man stopped, and looked around.

"Which way to the Teacup Cafe?" he asked.

The ranger replied, "Just down the street, in General Messages. But stay awhile in Bree. There is plenty for you to do at the Prancing Pony."

"Is it like the Cafe...I was planning on some action."

"Well, then, you came to the right place. We're slightly similar to the Cafe...but you'll notice we do things a little differently around here. Care to have a drink in the main room? Butterbeer's away, and I'm keeping house."
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:03 AM   #2
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Butterbeer was indeed away just now .... he was putting his feet up and smoking his pipe and just plain old chillin' .... no hectic serving bars for a while ... but he knew good ol' Curubethion the ranger could handle all comers at the Pony for a stretch...

(btw will pm you Curubethion ... if this is to be chat cum rpg ...?? it may be better for it to be in GM ... or at least i'd advise you to pm one of the rpg mods to clarify what you intend with this ... sees my wonderful mystic eyes reflected out of crystal ball ... )

best, THE LANDLORD
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Curubethion

Strider

As he read the letter, Curubethion considered the many rumors he had heard. Dragons to the north...trolls near Deadman's Dike...wargs roaming far and wide.

Was this rohirrim a good candidate for a quest, he wondered.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 10-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

The door opened and in strode a cloaked figure. The figure sat at a table by the fire. The hood was thrown back and brownish blond hair escaped. It was the half elf ranger, Acalewia.
"Whats going on in these parts as of late?" She asked.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
Curubethion

Strider

Curubethion grinned.

He asked her, "If you wish for an adventure, my friend, it is yours. What would you like? Dragon-slaying between Fornost and Forodwaith? Troll-fighting on Deadman's Dike? Or would you prefer wargs at the South Downs?"

She laughed.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

the rohirrim put his horse in the stable, and sat down at a corner of the building and watched the town through the wisp of smoke that came out of his pipe, smoking was a habit he had learned from the rangers. He was known as Eohelm in his own country, but, the elves called him roch-tur, after he had tamed a horse of Elrohir's that had been too wild even for the sons of elrond to ride, the rangers simply called him "the rider" for he always rode, and always had excellent horses to ride. After the war of ring he became a ranger of sorts, wandering and hunting, he rode further from Rohan than had any of his brethren, and knew more about the lands of middle earth than do some rangers.

He had heard in rivendell about Curubethion the ranger, that he was planning something; "what" that something was no one had been eager to tell him, so he (being rather bored) had rode off to see just what was going on in this part of the country.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Acalewia

Strider

"For any of those you'll need more than one warrior," Acalewia said, still smiling. "But dragon-slaying sound like fun." She glanced over at the bar. "Say, where's old Butterbeer? He would be in the middle of this any other time."

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #8
Curubethion

Strider

Grinning, Curubethion replied, "He's on an extended vacation...he'll be back eventually. If you want some help slaying dragons, try the rider outside. He looks like a promising fellow. Do you want something to drink meanwhile? Business has been a little slow lately."
Old 10-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
rohirrim TR

The rider, walked into the inn and saw a strange ranger sitting with Curubethion. "greetings horse master" said Curubethion, "greetings my good rangers" he replied "I have heard of your reputation Curubethion, in rivendell, but no one will tell me of your deeds". "well, let me get some mugs and some ale, and i will tell you why I am spoken of so strangely" said Curubethion, with a chuckle...
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
Acalewia

"It is rare to see a Rider from Rohan this far to the North," Acalewia said. "I am sure the rumors about Curubethion are not the only thing tha brings you here." She motioned for him to sit down.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
rohirrim TR

The rider sat down and looked at the elf and replied, "the rohirrim do not like to travel, that is where i differ from my brethren, after the war of the ring there was very little for me to do in Rohan, -as i'm a warrior and know nothing besides the use of arms and the training of horses- so i grew to know the dunedain and they told of monsters to be slayed and great deeds to be done here in the north, ever since then i have ridden far and learned much about the land, how about yourself? you look like a ranger, yet, not quite a ranger."
Quote:
Old 10-07-2005, 12:38 AM   #12
Kafei
Sapling

Sam Gamgee

A tween hobbit with fair hair and green eyes emerged from the shadows of the common-room and approached the table.

"Begging your pardon, Masters, but I was wondering if I could listen in on your news. It's been a week since I heard tell about the wide world. I am weary from my travels, and bless me - to be in company of Rangers, well I'd like nothing better now than a sit with pipe and tale."

Flushing slightly, the hobbit pulled up a chair. "My name's Brandybuck, by the way. Arthur Brandybuck at your service," he said, with a nod.

Arthur took out a carved pipe and what was strongly suspected to be a bit of Old Toby. "Pay me no mind, Masters - if you get my meaning." He took a casual draw from his pipe and said nothing more.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Omnia nuda et aperta sunt ante oculos Eius"
Kafei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #13
Acalewia

Strider

Acalewia smiled. It had been some time since she had spoken to a hobbit.
"I mind it not, Master Brandybuck." she turned back to the rider.
"I am a Ranger, though I look it not. If it is fighting you seek, perhaps you can join me. Fornost and Forodwaith seem to be having a dragon problem." She smiled again. "I am Acalewia, Daughter of Elmar, Dunedain of the North. What be your name, Horse Master?"

Old 10-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #14
rohirrim TR

"when i had a name, my kinsman called eohelm, for all that seemed to be in my head was horses", he replied with a chuckle. "Pray tell me, when did dragons return to the noth? i have not heard tale of dragons, since the tale of Bard and Smaug.
Quote:
Old 10-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #15
Curubethion

Strider

"It was only recently that I heard," explained Curubethion. "It was sometime soon, that it has happened, it is said. To the north of Fornost, yet south of the great icy lands of Forodwaith, some of my ranger companions have been patrolling. Recently, there were reports of villages massacred by dark terror at night. When they came to the villages, the rangers saw only ashen ruins. It is clearly dragons. Are there any here who wish to fight? That is not the only quest."
Old 10-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #16
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Three little hobbits screamed and ran to their mother where she was picking daisies in the meadow. "Help! Mommy! It's a dragon!"

Elanor jumped to her feet. Abandoning her flowers, she gathered her three youngest children into the folds of her skirts and looked frantically around. Her eyes fixed on a point far north in the sky, above the Hills of Evendim, where a terrifying shape flew on great red wings and flame spurted into the sky.

"Is it a dragon, Mommy?" asked little Fastred timidly.

"I -- I think it is," said Elanor nervously. She had read the Red Book many times and remembered Bilbo Baggins' vivid description of the dragon he had encountered. "But it's far away. Why don't we go home and tell Mayor Boffin about it." (I'm assuming this is after Sam has gone west-- tell me if I'm wrong)

The children gathered up their things and they all held hands as they walked toward Hobbiton.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #17
Daphne_daughter_of_Eowyn
Hobbit

Just then a young person walked into the pub. They appeared to be older than a child but younger than a full grown adult. Whoever they were they were quite thin and wore a long blue travelling cloak.

The person lowered her hood to reveal beautiful, pale brown hair and a fair face not unlike Eowyn of Rohan's. In fact, apart from her hair this person looked the spitting image of Eowyn. Her eyes especially.

She scanned the room and then spotted Acalewia with a smile.

She raced over and knelt at Acalewia's feet with a pleading look on her face.

"Oh kind She-Elf, do you know of any medicine that can help my sick mother? I know not what to do and I have searched for any herbs that can help her and I do not want to let her down. I am Daphne, daughyter of Eowyn and Faramir and I beg you to help me!"

Hello, I'm Daphne and yes, I am THE daughter of Rohan's very own shieldmaiden Eowyn daughter of Eomund and niece to the late King Theoden sister to the new King Eomer.
Daphne_daughter_of_Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:34 PM   #18
Curubethion

Strider

OOC: There's no real timeframe on this RPG, Elanor, just that it's sometime after the War of the Ring, probably about twenty-five to thirty years after, given Daphne's age. BTW: I think it would be a good idea to put all OOCs in spoilers from now on.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #19
rohirrim TR

well Curubethion, i for one will join you, though i think i'll need to make a couple of spears, all i have is a short bow and a sword and neither one is very helpful against dragons.
Quote:
Old 10-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #20
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

OOC: Hey guys. I think this is exacly the same as the Forsaken Inn which is here.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote