Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Books Online

Here's a question: will online books ever make a dent in the market?

From my experience, the answer is no. I have no interest in reading books online. It's the same with music online. I have no desire to "own" music that is stored on my computer and which I have to either burn to a disc or re-purchase if my computer ever failed me (and it has, twice).

I like owning music physically. CDs. The same way with books. I like feeling the thickness, looking at the front and back covers. It helps to ensnare the reader, right?

So, aside from printing off books or material from the internet, why would anyone want to read, say, War and Peace on their computer? In fact, I think the computer factor would diminish a person's desire to read a book of that length. And of course there's the problem that staring at a computer screen will give you a royal headache.

Yet, I see Amazon.Com selling these eBooks or whatnot with the names of classics spread across them, so there must be a market for them right?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
In fact, I think the computer factor would diminish a person's desire to read a book of that length. And of course there's the problem that staring at a computer screen will give you a royal headache.

Yet, I see Amazon.Com selling these eBooks or whatnot with the names of classics spread across them, so there must be a market for them right?
I sometimes read several chapters of fanfiction online, because it only exists online, and I usually don't want to own it and thus print it out. It is a strain on the eyes. When I need to read an RPG several times because I'm going to participate in it and need it for reference, I print it out.

For reading a novel online, I would need a better screen technology than what I've seen so far. They are working on it, so I won't say it will never happen, but so far, reading from a screen is so very different from reading on paper, and I find the paper much more relaxing.

Perhaps there is a market because people want to try it and to see whether the technology is good enough? Do we know whether people buy more books when they have finished the first one?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
hectorberlioz

I think the crux of the matter is in the difference between page and screen. As you say, reading on page is a lot more relaxing. That counts for a lot. After all, people have had books and scrolls for almost the entire time of human civilization. I don't think the transition from scroll to book was this hard .

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 12-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I don't think online books will ever seriously threaten or replace books. But I suppose the market may still grow with better technology.

But for now paper books just have more advantages over computer books. You can take them anywhere, read it everywhere, you are not dependant on technology to store or display the book. And a book, once printed doesn't require a constant input of energy, unlike a computer. And generally it's easier to put bookmarks in paper books for paragraphs you want to look over again later.

I might be convinced to read online books when it's a book I'd like to read but don't want to buy for whatever reason. But it'll depend on prices and what you'd all need to sign up for on install.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Mari
Elf Lady

I love real books, but when I was in Japan without the possibility to get real books, I got several books online and read them on my screen. I do have a laptop though, so I can read in more than one position.
For me, a pruple background with dark grey letters work best to prevent a head ache.
But yeah, if I have the choice I'd rather have real books.

There was this 'new' invention though: an A4-sized tablet in which you could download books, so you could read them on that tablet everywhere you want. Maybe that does have potential, though you'd still be staring at a screen.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
hectorberlioz

I believe those A4 "tablets" are what Amazon is selling. The "Amazon Kindle" is what they call it. Here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

The Da CINDY Code
~