Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
suncrafter
Hobbit

Why so few "choose-your-own-adventure" type books?

I've always wondered why the "Choose-your-own-adventure" type of books never gained wide acceptance. Why were they largely confined to just fantasy and RPG? And why mostly kid books?

Why hasn't, for example, Steven King made a novel with a "Choose-your-own-adventure" format? He could let the readers guide the actions of the protagonist. Something like: "If you think Paula should run from the Zombie - turn to page 184. If you think Paula should try to kill the zombie with her axe - turn to page 701. If you think she should stand there and scream like an idiot.... etc... etc...

You would think that there would be at least ONE big-name author who would have tried something like that - if only for a publicity gimmick.

Why so few CYOA books? Is there some kind of stupid copyright law that prevents it? Anyone know?
suncrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

People who write books get paid for them. If Stephen King has two ideas for a story (one where she runs from the Zombie, and one where she attacks him) he writes two books, and gets paid twice.

When you're writing a book, too, there's momentum (if you're lucky). Even if you thought it would be swell for your protagonist to visit the Spanish Steps midway, he or she may stubbornly insist on puttering around the garden, instead. Hopefully, particularly in a mystery format, the progression is inevitable, at least in retrospect. Agatha Christie is particularly good, in this. I just finished rereading "By the Pricking of My Thumbs" and again enjoyed the feeling of "Damn! I should have seen that coming!" because it's all fairly laid out in the text. A lesser talent, like JoAnna Carl, who writes diverting little Chocoholic mysteries, doesn't have the same problem...if she wants to get somewhere, she just goes, no foreshadowing.

An annoying habit of J.K. Rowling, I always thought.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Mari
Elf Lady

I like cyoa-books! The only problem is that I want to read all the different endings, so it takes me quite some time to read it.
But actually I like all kinds of books.
I do think it is rather difficult to write them, since you have to be able to think of a story which can go many ways without being too unrealistic. If I were to ever write a book it would probably be one with a "straight" ending.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Moved to General Literature.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
When you're writing a book, too, there's momentum (if you're lucky). Even if you thought it would be swell for your protagonist to visit the Spanish Steps midway, he or she may stubbornly insist on puttering around the garden, instead.
True!

Quote:
Agatha Christie is particularly good, in this. I just finished rereading "By the Pricking of My Thumbs" and again enjoyed the feeling of "Damn! I should have seen that coming!" because it's all fairly laid out in the text.
Be sure to read her "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" - one of her best ones! Really an excellent twist, and one that you feel that you should have known ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I read a few of these when I was a kid, and I mostly enjoyed them, but I always ended up with about 10 bookmarks at the different choice points so I could go back and read what would have happened the other way. Hm, I think it might be fun to have something like this in electronic form, since it would have room for more choices. You would follow the story, make decisions, and you'd have to keep going to the end... wait a minute! What I just described is basically just a video game without the graphics and controls. Hm...

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:29 AM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I used to read a good chunk of them too, but I get the distinct sense that they are a bit of a publishing nightmare. That, and their interactive/"hypertextual" nature has been completely usurped and surpassed by video games and websites.

Even in mainstream video games, though, the adventure genre that is most alike the CYOA books is comatose and possibly dead.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Not realyl contributing to the conversation, but...

Very nice to see you still around, IP.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:26 AM   #9
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot
I used to read a good chunk of them too, but I get the distinct sense that they are a bit of a publishing nightmare. That, and their interactive/"hypertextual" nature has been completely usurped and surpassed by video games and websites.

Even in mainstream video games, though, the adventure genre that is most alike the CYOA books is comatose and possibly dead.
Agreed.

And besides, aren't these books really just a crude form of RPGs? Like, really, really down a lot of notches.

You know, these books always kinda disturbed me a little too, with the "bad endings" that had you end up dead or something. Kinda morbid. Dunno if that's just me...
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #10
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i borrowed this awesome book from my friend called "pretty little mistakes: a do-over novel" by heather mcelhatton. it's not fantasy or anything, it's sorta a girly comedy type book, but it's pretty awesome. it's like an adult cyoa book

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #11
Draken
Elf Lord

'Choose Your Own Adventure' style books still appear now and then - my middle daughter was very taken by a recent 'Doctor Who' book based on last year's series.

Similar are the solo RPG gamebooks where as well as just choosing which option to take you manage the mechanics of RPG-style encounters (ie you need dice and to understand some rules). Their heyday is over but some of the early commercial series are still reprinted every so often, and there's quite a lively niche market kept alive by enthusiasts.

Check out http://www.gamebooks.org, almost certainly the best resource for them on the web. While you're there have a look at the review for "Last Stand at Kirrinbahr", a work of rare subtlety and erudition from an unsung master of the genre

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I read a few of these when I was a kid and quickly became bored.

My biggest problem with CYOA books is that they are formulaic and boring. It says "choose" your own adventure, but you only ever get two or three choices per scenario; its attempt at realism falls flat because books simply don't work like that. To really make the reader feel engaged in a story, you have to write a book that makes them feel as if they're in the middle of the action. Having "enter the room, p. 79" and "go down the hall, p. 84" is jarring and really adds nothing to the excitement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ravyn View Post
i borrowed this awesome book from my friend called "pretty little mistakes: a do-over novel" by heather mcelhatton. it's not fantasy or anything, it's sorta a girly comedy type book, but it's pretty awesome. it's like an adult cyoa book
This book sounds awesome. It makes me think about Jasper Fforde's books about Thursday Next. Ever read those?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:47 AM   #13
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Those of you who are interested in choose-your-own-adventure stories (and are willing to see them unfold onscreen instead of on paper) should look up "interactive fiction".

They're text-based role-playing games like those of the days of yore - you know, where you type in directions like "north" and "south", pick things up, talk to people, and so forth - but there's a lot more emphasis on the storytelling than the mechanics.

Two of my favourites: Hamlet: The Text Adventure (seriously!) and Galatea.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Those are really neat, IP. I'll have to give them a try, since I used to love choose your own adventure books .

Did anyone ever read those Greyhawk books? I think they were by Andre Norton. Quag Keep and Return to Quag Keep. The first one was very good, but the second one was rather odd and I could've done without it.... but it was based off of RPGs and choose your own adventure books, so I was interested in it back when I read it.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #15
suncrafter
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot View Post
Those of you who are interested in choose-your-own-adventure stories (and are willing to see them unfold onscreen instead of on paper) should look up "interactive fiction".

They're text-based role-playing games like those of the days of yore - you know, where you type in directions like "north" and "south", pick things up, talk to people, and so forth - but there's a lot more emphasis on the storytelling than the mechanics.

Two of my favourites: Hamlet: The Text Adventure (seriously!) and Galatea.
Thanks! I'll check them out.
suncrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:02 AM   #16
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Those do sound pretty fantastic. I'm reading "Hamlet - The Text Adventure" right now and it's terrific! It reminds me of playing the Hitch-hiker's guide to the Galaxy computer game, except without the mind-shredding difficulty.

Edit: a spoiler-free quote from the game
Quote:
Kitchen
Exits are north and down.

> cook carrot
Please, You're a royal! You have servants to do that sort of thing!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 12-17-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
> kiss horatio
I don't think you and Horatio are close enough for that.
I can't believe they actually had a fitting reply. Fun game.