Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-09-2003, 11:36 AM   #1
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Salman Rushdie

I've just finished The Moor's Last Sigh. What a book! It took me about 6 months to read, but every page is like a banquet.

Any Rushdie fans in here?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 04:36 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I haven't actually read any Rushdie before, but I do plan to. A part of me is very curious about what some parts of the Islamic world are so upset about.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:34 AM   #3
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I've not read The Satanic Verses yet; Midnight's Children is the only other one I've read.

There's nothing really for them get specifically upset about, except that he really gets stuck into religious fanaticism in general. His characters seem to move pretty freely between Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Hindu and secular milieux in a rather confusing whirl.

The Moor's Last Sigh, if anything, is anti-Hindu (or rather, anti-BJP). He makes it pretty clear that (in his view) Hindu nationalism is very destructive, for example redesignating Muslim holy sites as Hindu sites, then using it as an excuse to go on the rampage killing Muslims by the hundred. It seems to me to be, if anything, a pro-Muslim book. Still, there's no accounting for fundamentalism, no matter which god/s they worship....

But anyway, I hope you enjoy it because he writes like Michelangelo paints. Rich, dynamic, full of detail and wonderful characterisation. Oh, and lots and lots and lots of description with virtually no dialogue (hence it took me 6 months to read!)

Last edited by The Gaffer : 10-10-2003 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:17 AM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Here's on who has enjoyed reading Rushdie. It was all the hussle about Satanic Verses that first made me read that book, and because I enjoyed it so much I also read Midnight's Children, Shame, The Moor's Last Sigh, and Haroun and the Sea of Stories.
Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
A part of me is very curious about what some parts of the Islamic world are so upset about.
Perhaps it was the passage where young prostitute girls with great success had named themselves as Mohammed's wives and did their best to be look-alikes? Very good for their business, it was.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:22 PM   #5
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Is it worth a read then? (Satanic Verses, that is) I've heard from others that it's not his best novel. (It's probably worth having it on the shelf anyway as a statement against fundamentalist nutters everywhere.)

How do you think it compares with Midnight's Children?
Old 11-12-2003, 03:02 PM   #6
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Satanic Verses is certainly worth a read. Personally I liked it better than Midnight's Children, perhaps because that was the one I read first, and didn't know what to expect from it. When I read Satanic Verses I found Rushdie's style of writing funny and refreshing, but after a while I got used to it, and after 2-3 books I even got a bit tired of it.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:29 PM   #7
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I know what you mean. 1 a year would be about my limit. A bit like christmas dinner.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Salman Rushdie, a keen observer. I like his commitment. He doesn't hide behind anything.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:43 AM   #9
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I did finally get around to The Satanic Verses about a year ago, and it was well worth it. It is a bit dense, and a lot of the sarcasm is lost if you don't have at least an elementary knowledge of what Islam's origins are like when taken seriously... that, and Rushdie spends the entire book trying (and arguably failing) to top what is surely one of the great opening chapters of literature.

I mean to get to Midnight's Children at some point, though my self-imposed reading list is rather long already.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote