Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2003, 05:54 PM   #21
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I will never get sick of re-reading LotR but I have read The Hobbit twice and that's enough for me for some years.
ah, its impossible to not love re-reading LotR. I have just started re-reading the Hobbit, its my 3rd time. My favorite chapter is Riddles in the Dark

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:07 PM   #22
elixir
Elven Warrior

I have read The Hobbit about ten times and I'd still enjoy reading it.

So, yeah, I like it a lot

"We've got a wizard and we're not afraid to use him!"

HOBBITS NEEDED! Some dwarves as well !!!

elixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:17 PM   #23
legolialis
Hobbit

Strider

I realy liked the hobbit. It was alot more lighthearted than the lotr books
legolialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 09:16 AM   #24
Durin1
Elven Warrior

who likes the Hobbit

My interest in Tolkiendom was aroused from having read The Hobbit at the age of 8 or 9.

In my opinion, The Hobbit has a place of its own in Tolkien's work and we should take it for what it is - a superb, funny and exciting book, written for children but without all the preaching and condescending air associated with a lot of modern children's fantasy literature.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:27 PM   #25
Divine Sorceress
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
ah, its impossible to not love re-reading LotR. I have just started re-reading the Hobbit, its my 3rd time. My favorite chapter is Riddles in the Dark
Actually it is possible to not love re-reading the LOTR books. I'm currently bored out of my mind trying to re-read ROTK before the movie comes out.

I like The Hobbit. It's a good book for getting out of the brooding and unhappy Frodo's mind and into happy and quirky Bilbo's. It's the first Tolkien book that I read and it's easy to re-read because it's not a complicated story with chapter long descriptions.
Divine Sorceress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:43 AM   #26
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I love the Hobbit! I've read it about 4 times.

I love LOTR too and Return of the King is my favourite i think well i'm reading it again for like the 5th time.

I personally could never ever get bored of re-reading the Hobbit and LOTR!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #27
frodomerryandaragornrock

iLOVE the Hobbit!!! i love it alomst as much as lotr!!!!!
frodomerryandaragornrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #28
the insane one
Sapling

i like the hobbit as it is some light reliefe to some of tolkien's more agressive and complex works or art. however it is less exiting and is not something i would read over and over again
the insane one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #29
Amael
Elven Warrior

I'll have to go with frodomerryandaragornrock's comment on it. Also, GO RED SOX!!!

The Hobbit rules! AKK! Got owned by 90 second wait time.
Amael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #30
frodomerryandaragornrock

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amael View Post
I'll have to go with frodomerryandaragornrock's comment on it. Also, GO RED SOX!!!

The Hobbit rules! AKK! Got owned by 90 second wait time.
AWESOME!! Nice to know someone else on here likes them!!
frodomerryandaragornrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #31
Amael
Elven Warrior

I don't know much about sports, but I like the team. LOL.
Amael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #32
Zilbanne
Enting

To me The Hobbit is like a primer to get a new reader ready for LotR. Decades ago I first enjoyed The Hobbit as an 11 year old and found it enchanting! The effect it had was to make me a Tolkien fan for life. When I was in my early teens I read LotR for the first time and The Hobbit certainly did prepare my future for LotR and other Middle Earth experiences.

Though The Hobbit is lighter in tone and not as intellectually meaty as other Middle Earth reads, it is ideal for multi-generational enjoyment. When my niece and nephew were young, we had a great time taking turns reading The Hobbit out loud to each other. We've all shared fond memories of this later.

zilbanne
Zilbanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #33
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

It is definitely great to read aloud.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #34
oakenstaff
Sapling

Gandalf New appreciation

I've been re-reading The Hobbit - in the Tengwar.

More precisely I transcribed the text of The Hobbit into Tolkien's Tengwar, the script he used to write the Elvish languages. Technically I'm just reading in English and only the letters are different - which is good because just that much is plenty challenging.

While I'm getting faster, in comparison to 'normal' reading it's at a snail's pace.

This dramatically slower pace of reading has made me realize: Tolkien is a fantastic writer. His sense of story, description and dialog are absolutely superb.

Rather than gloss over pages, I'm catching details I would miss otherwise. 'Boring' descriptions of scenery are coming alive, the cleverness and depth of his dialog is just amazing. For example, right now I'm reading the part where they are caught by the spiders. Bilbo's effort to battle the spiders and free the dwarves is simply astounding, and equally gripping as The Battle for the Pelennor Fields ("Now for wrath, now for ruin, and a red nightfall!") in LOTR - and more personal because of the smaller scale (literal and figurative).

Before this I would have discounted The Hobbit as 'good, but not as good as Lord of the Rings'. But now I'm elevating The Hobbit from 'good' to 'incredible'

It'll be interesting to read Lord of the Rings in Tengwar, and see if I have a similar experience.

My only objection to The Hobbit is that some of the scenes are just too 'fantastic' and cute to accept. For instance, I disliked reading about the trained animals at Beorn's house, who set the table and wait on the party generally. It was too much like a child's fairy-story. The talking spiders are slightly more acceptable but still a reach. This is an odd standard since I'm fine with Goblins, Elves and Dragons and such, but there it is.

The way I justify this reading to myself is that I accept the 'history' told in The Hobbit as Real (somewhere), but that this particular telling is geared towards children so contains passages that aren't 'Real' but just entertaining. Thus the many asides to the reader, and certain silly episodes such as the trained animals. I'd include the giants fighting in the pass during the thunderstorm here was well.

Last edited by oakenstaff : 10-02-2008 at 06:11 PM.
oakenstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #35
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

From a literary point of view, Beorn's animals are from Gulliver's travels. As such, they reinforce Tolkien's theme of a pre-lapsarian, rather Owenist simplicity.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #36
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakenstaff View Post
I've been re-reading The Hobbit - in the Tengwar.
That's cool.

Quote:
Before this I would have discounted The Hobbit as 'good, but not as good as Lord of the Rings'. But now I'm elevating The Hobbit from 'good' to 'incredible'
I see a lot of people look at the Hobbit that way, but for me it's more often than not been the other way around. But that's maybe because I read the Hobbit first, so I'm really fond of it. The way it's written is perhaps not as advanced as in Lord of the Rings, but the Hobbit has almost no 'boring' parts in it

Quote:
My only objection to The Hobbit is that some of the scenes are just too 'fantastic' and cute to accept. For instance, I disliked reading about the trained animals at Beorn's house, who set the table and wait on the party generally. It was too much like a child's fairy-story. The talking spiders are slightly more acceptable but still a reach. This is an odd standard since I'm fine with Goblins, Elves and Dragons and such, but there it is.
Yeah, I know how you feel. Somehow the encounter with Smaug or the dwelling of the Goblins inside the mountains seems more 'real' than talking spiders or the spectacle at Beorn's house. But each to his/her own I guess
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #37
anarion
Enting

Location: Born in Lousiville, KY. Living in Laguna, Philippines
I love The Hobbit! Probably my single favorite book of all time, and also the one that made me love to read.
I have read it at least once annually for 23 years. I can honestly say that I never truly knew the wonder of the hobbit until I started reading it to my daughter as her nightly bed time story.
anarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #38
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Same here, anarion. I read it before, of course, and liked it. But reading it aloud to my daughter gave the book new life and vigor. Wonderful. Since having a child, I've come to the conclusion that the best books are the ones that are best read aloud.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #39
Thorir Orcbane
Hobbit

Location: Where the shadows of the ancient world still dwell.
Gimli

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Same here, anarion. I read it before, of course, and liked it. But reading it aloud to my daughter gave the book new life and vigor. Wonderful. Since having a child, I've come to the conclusion that the best books are the ones that are best read aloud.
Yes and maybe like Inkheart they will come to life. Now wouldnt that be exciting! "Daddy, make the little men and the princesses come out again"

"Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!" - Elendil/Aragorn

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo

"No, no, no! Who gave the short kid Desert Eagles?"
Thorir Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #40
Thorir Orcbane
Hobbit

Location: Where the shadows of the ancient world still dwell.
Gimli

That sounds quite interesting and hat off to you for doing so. Where would one find the Tengwar?

"Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!" - Elendil/Aragorn

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo

"No, no, no! Who gave the short kid Desert Eagles?"
Thorir Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote