Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-17-2000, 12:43 PM   #41
Shanamir Duntak

Re: ...

Tell Juntel we go 3 days then stay 5... He'll have enough time to say everything he planned to :lol:
Old 10-17-2000, 03:49 PM   #42
Xivigg

0] And if not we'll bring him back with us :lol: 0]
Old 10-17-2000, 04:29 PM   #43
Gilthalion

Well, I was expecting better turnouts. Unfortunately, there just was not enough interests, or I think, publicity, to make it the success I hoped it would be. But, it wasn't a complete catastrophe, and we learned from it. We'll probably change the time to a weeknight evening.

Y'all are certainly welcome to come down. I'll cook spaghetti, shrimp, steaks, etc. (And the etc. is mighty good, too!)

BYOP (Bring Your Own Poutine!)

P.S.
Juntel can debate me on my talkshow! Now that would be entertaining! Actually, we have our own Juntel's down here and they do call in! I prefer a conversational conversation, actually.

P.P.S.
And if you try to spirit me away, you'll have the Mrs to deal with!
Old 10-17-2000, 04:39 PM   #44
Xivigg

0] I'm not sure if the Poutine will be that tasty after 3 day's of travel
if any of it is left after the first lunch

As for the Mrs we'll bring her with us (humm we'll be crowed in the cars)
Old 10-17-2000, 11:01 PM   #45
Eruve

We can bring the gravy in a can and the cheese curds in a cooler. Gil will only have to supply the French fries.

You know, we could make a really good road trip out of this... We can stop off and pick up Darth Tater, Ben and Tristan, and anduin along the way. Likely others, too. Gil, how would you like a literal Entmoot to descend on you? I suspect we'd have to deal with the Mrs. on that one, too...
Old 10-18-2000, 12:02 AM   #46
Xivigg

I'm starting saving money right now
I may not pick up everyone of you but i can visit you all that for sure
Old 10-18-2000, 02:20 AM   #47
anduin

Funny that you mention that Eruve. I have been talking to Tater
and Ben forever about getting together as many members possible to watch
The Movie, but I must admit it is the strong curiosity I have to meet
other members. You spend so much time interacting with them
online...on boards and on IM....that you can really get to know someone.
Or at least you think that you know them. But you can never
truly be sure until you meet them in RL and even then you probably
won't REALLY get to know them. There are so many subtleties of a person's
personality that are lost without sight and sound. Some think it's better this
way....it prevents people from prejudging based upon looks or speech impediments. J/K
Old 10-18-2000, 11:53 AM   #48
Eruve

Realistically speaking, if there were some sort of Entmoot get together on the east coast, say... Like at Ben's house, LOL, or even Tater's, since that's closer to me, I'd make an effort to go. My parents live in eastern PA, so Ben's area isn't entirely out of the question. I've got relatives in the Boston area, as well...

Of course, we could do a Quebec contingent of Entmoot either in Montreal or Quebec City relatively easily. And if anyone else wants to make the trip up here, well, you'd have a nice vacation in either place. But come in the summer or early fall... Unless you like to ski or want to come to the Quebec Winter carnival, but bring your warmest clothes in that case.
Old 10-18-2000, 04:44 PM   #49
Xivigg

Yeah right
and again your warmest cloth might not be enough it's kind of cold here in winter around -15c to -20c in average and sometime it goes down to -30c or even -40c but hey your all welcome
Old 10-18-2000, 06:52 PM   #50
RovingTurtle

Wow, cold indeed
Old 10-18-2000, 08:05 PM   #51
Xivigg

It's not that bad you'll get used to it so when can we expect a visit from you guy's and Gal's ??
Old 10-18-2000, 08:10 PM   #52
Eruve

I have one word for you...

Caribou! That's how they handle the temps. at Winter carnival! (If you don't know what it is, basically, it's human antifreeze. )
Old 10-18-2000, 10:13 PM   #53
Morkhon

Re: I have one word for you...

What about me. I'm stuck out here on the West Coast. And not in bright and sunny southern Cal either. No I get northern Cal where it rains all winter long.
Old 10-19-2000, 01:11 AM   #54
RovingTurtle

Morkhon!! Haven't seen you in a while? Ehh I thought the weather in California was nice everywhere
Old 10-19-2000, 04:23 AM   #55
Morkhon

Nope, temps in the summer here are around 90-105 F, and in the winter it stay around 50-65 F and rains from about December to May. I've lived most of my life in the Desert so the high temps don't bother me, but I can't stand the rain. I need to get myself a good trenchcoat. Better to hide the shotgun with too.

Yea, the reason you haven't seen me around is because I've been spending alot of time over on Stonedog's Wheel of Time board.
Old 10-19-2000, 12:51 PM   #56
Eruve

Morkhon, you're going to have to find some west coast Entmooters to hook up with. Hopefully they'll be in So. Cal. I think etherealunicorn was from there, but she hasn't been around lately...
Old 10-20-2000, 01:38 AM   #57
Gilthalion

Goodness!

I think it would be fun to have some sort of get together, but as I read this, I see how impractical it would be!

Still, it will not be long before we all have cheap digital teleconferencing and are able to set up live video chats. Not quite what Anduin is talking about, but it would be a lot closer.

I've got a chatroom set up at Robert W. Gardner's Interests if y'all ever want to schedule a chat together.

I'm generally available most evenings after 8:00 PM Central Time.

We've talked about chat's before, and a lot of folk ICQ, but we could start a CHAT SCHEDULE thread in the GENERAL forum if y'all want to schedule one. My experimental link above will be available anytime, I'm sure. I don't have to be there. It runs as a JAVA Applet. (I think.) Access it, hit the float button, and then do whatever you like with your browser.

Hmmmm. Let me just go start that thread and we'll see if anything happens.
Old 10-20-2000, 02:02 AM   #58
bmilder

Re: Goodness!

Would you guys want an "official" Entmoot/Tolkien Trail chat on IRC?

A room already exists, I just haven't publicized it...
Old 10-21-2000, 01:29 AM   #59
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Goodness!

.... I thought about something.... When (notice I'm not using IF) we get down to Gil's place...How will we take all those people? I don't think your parents will be leaving you the minivan Xiv!!! And the Tercel ain't THAT big... you know we're cramped being 4 in that! And Eruve had a good idea for the poutine... or we could start an Ashton's franchise!!! :lol:
Old 10-21-2000, 02:04 AM   #60
RovingTurtle

IRC Room? woot!

Yes I'd be all for one