Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2002, 02:39 PM   #21
Nilore
Elven Warrior

Location: I am every where and I am no where, I am everyone and I am no-one! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Faramir said earlier, I like to draw Magical Beasts especially Dragons!!!!

By the way, the dragon in the Hobbit is called SMAUG!!!!!!!!
Nilore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:03 PM   #22
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

I like Smaug and thought he was a little clumsey and Clever.(Am I making sence?)
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:04 AM   #23
zavron
Chieftain of The Order of The Blue Flame

dragons

I like dragons too!!

here is some info for your hearts delight!!

enjoy!

dragons
here is some info on dragons for people out there who are interested:

Dragons

Dragons was the heaviest of all Morgoth servants they were also his last. There was two kind of Dragons, the firedragons, who were hot and had no wings, and then cold dragons who had fire too, but not as hot and in the same amount as the Fire-Dragons. Instead they had wings and were able to fly. Morgoth`s first attempts in making these huge and cruel creatures were the serpents. , but the winged dragons were the last of his beasts he createt. Morgoth had long tried to breed winged creatures and many a bird or eagle had lost its life in the caves of Angband where Morgoth and his servants had tried to squize the secret of flying from them. The winged Dragons was not ready before the end of the First age. But at that time Morgoth was so overwelming that only the host of the Valar could save the world from his evil reign.

Dragons are cunning and cleaver creatures with a razorsharp mind. How they precisely were breed and of what is nowhere told but we may suspect they were made by sorcery and fire. In the early tales it is told how the serpents had hearts of fire and bodies of steel. The later Dragons had.....

Dragons had sharp and keen eyes, an exeptionel sence of smell and a memory beyond imagination. If they once had senced a smell it was never forgotten, and no matter how great a treasure they had stolen and were guarding they would, by the penny, know the exact amount and furthermore know if just the tiniest jewel were missing. Dragons loved to speak in riddles and one of the few ways to get close to living dragon without loosing your life instantly were to tease it with puzzles and riddles but the highest level of awareness was needed for they are inteligent creatures and one could soon be under its spell.

Related links.: Battles.: War of Wrath.

Dragons.
Ancalagon.
Glaurung.
Smaug.
Scatha.

Ancalagon.

Ancalagon the Black, a winged Dragon, he was the Lord of the winged Dragons. Morgoth brided and let loose in the last Battle of Beleriand "The war of Wrath" it is told that Earendil slew him and in his fell from the sky he broke Thangorodrim.

Related Links.: Battles.: War of Wrath. Encyc.: Ancalagon.

Glaurung.

The father of all dragons, he first time appears between the 2 and 3 battle of Beleriand 260 years after the raising of the Sun and Moon, slain by Turin F.A.499. Glaurung was a hot Dragon without wings. In F.A.260 issued Glaurung for the first time. He came from the gates of Angband by night but he was scarce halfgrown but the Elves fleed before him to Dorthonion and Ered Wethrin but Fingon rode against him with archers upon horseback, and hemmed him round with a ring of swift riders. And Glaurung was dismayed, for he could not endure there darts, being not yet come to his full armoury and he fled back to angband. Glaurung sacked Nargothrond in F.A.495. He came from Angband with a host of Orcs into Hithlum and did great evil, and he came over the mountains Ered Withrin and down at the other side, destroyed the Pools of Ivrin and came into the realm of Narog where he found the caves Nargothrond because Turin had pursuaded the Elves to abandon there stealth / ambush strategy they used for open war. In that battle; the battle of Tum-Halad Glaurung are victorious and he enters Nargothrond. In F.A.496 comes Morwen and Nienor with a small host of Elves commanded by Mablung out of Doriath to seek Turin but instead they meet Glaurung who bewitched Nienor and she ran lost into the wood, Morwen escapes but are also lost. Mablung returns to Doriath. In F.A.499 assailes Glaurung Brethil but is slain by Turin.

Related Links.: Battles.: Battle of Tum-Halad. Encyc.: Glaurung.

Smaug.

A winged Dragon known from the Hobbit.

Smaug came from the Withered Heath in the Ered Mithrim when he heard of the treasure Thrór, the King under the Mountain had gathered in the Lonely Mountain in Erebor. Smaug descented upon the Lonely Mountain and drove Thrór out, ruined Dale, and devastated the whole region in Third age 2770.

Killed by Bard from Esgaroth in Third age 2941. He used his black arrow who was forged by the Dwarves in the smithies beniath the Lonely Mountain in happier days.

Smaug was a huge redgolden and exeptionel greedy, strong and cruel Dragon and he had a liking for eating young girls.

Related Links.: Encyc.: Smaug.

Scatha.

Dragon in Ered Mithrim.
zavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:06 PM   #24
entss89
lord of the ents

wow that is a lot of stuff about dragons so where did you get this info? and i knew his name was smauge i just forgot to write down the name (no time).

im a little hobbit short and stout
here is my ring evil without a doubt
when you get me hipped up
here me shout
get me to mordo as quick as you can..

if you like that song then you should visit www.lordoftherings.net!

the ents are coming
the ents are coming
watch out tower of orthanc
for your dark walls shall fall!
sauroman, sauroman
your name is not the white!
for now you are
sauroman of many colors!

a best frind does not stab u in the back...................
they stab u in the front.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 04:01 PM   #25
Nilore
Elven Warrior

Location: I am every where and I am no where, I am everyone and I am no-one! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Dragons

I got the info off zavron and I think he got the info from the encyclopedia of Arda although i'm not sure?

Nilore

Raise the Phial of Galadriel and let the Star Glass of Lothlorian cast out the Darkness of Shelob's Lair.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naur an edraith ammen! Naur dan i ngaurholth!

There was a roar and a crackle, and the tree above him burst into a leaf and bloom of blinding flame. The whole hill was crowned with a dazzling light!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bhûl latu dûmp

Accept Your DOOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DIE MERE MORTALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh NO I AM A MERE MORTAL

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Stop the NUKE Stop the NUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nilore writes last will and testament.

Gets on knees

And begs God for Mercy.

Realizes He's already dead

Flies up to heaven ( By the power of Red Bull) and lives happily ever after. THE END

( It's a MINI adventure)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nilore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 05:41 PM   #26
Meriadoc
Hobbit

I like dragons because their cool !!!
Meriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 06:17 AM   #27
Agburanar
Elf Lord

If you want a good story with lots of Dragons in it there's a book called 'FIREDRAKE' (Can't remember who wrote it) which has a whole dragon hierarchy. Great read!

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 08:33 AM   #28
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE dragons. (Hence the Avatar)
They fly! they blow fire! they are strong! They can still have
fun and be romantic.
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 05:41 PM   #29
Eothain
Enting

dragons

DRAGONS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Where is the hand on the harpsting, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?

They have past like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning, or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Frodo lives
Eothain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:25 AM   #30
Dealin
Sapling

That info is not entirely accurate.

Quote:
There was two kind of Dragons, the firedragons, who were hot and had no wings, and then cold dragons who had fire too, but not as hot and in the same amount as the Fire-Dragons. Instead they had wings and were able to fly.
The fire dragons did indeed have wings, they were the most famous for them. Fire-drakes could be either winged or wingless and had fire breath.

Cold Dragons had no fire breath. It is not entirely clear if they had wings or not, but based on early texts, and pictures of 'long-wyrms' it is possible that they could also be either winged or wingless, although it is more likely that these were less likely to have wings than the fire-drakes.
Dealin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 09:16 AM   #31
zavron
Chieftain of The Order of The Blue Flame

FireDragons were like the Chinese mythological Dragons, They had no Wings but could Fly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gil- galad was an elven king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the mountains and the sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shinig helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in mordor where the shadows are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
zavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 06:15 AM   #32
Agburanar
Elf Lord

It all depends on what mythologies you're basing this on. As far as I'm concerned there are many types of Dragons in the hierarchy:

Lesser Drakes (Wingless, don't breath fire)
Firedrakes (Wingless, breathe fire)
Wyverns (Winged but with no arms, breathe fire)
Airdrakes (Winged, breathe poisonous gasses)
Cold drakes (or White dragons, winged, breathe very cold air)
Dragons (Winged, breathe fire)

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:13 PM   #33
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gollum

I love dragons their my favourite creatures.
L@ur@y Elven Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 02:46 PM   #34
Eowyn Telcontar
Hobbit

I looooove dragons, and it kinda made me mad how Tolkien made them bad. Why does everyone always describe them as fat worms? They arent worms! Meanys! Hehe! Anyways, read Dragonlance and ull see why I like them.

"PO-TAY-TOES!" Sam
Eowyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:21 AM   #35
francod
Enting

SMAUG

Smaug was funny, he had a lot of good lines. He was would talk to you just to kill you. It makes you wonder how he developed his social skills. Smaug was a gifted orater, I was disappointed when he was destroyed. I would have liked him to drop into the Lotr from time to time. Although a dragon would be a problem in any storyline because of their awesome presence. I think people call them fat worms because they are scared of them. It is called whistling past the graveyard
Old 01-30-2003, 01:27 AM   #36
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I liked Chrysophylax Drix. Now there's a smart and sociable dragon.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:01 PM   #37
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Yeah Dragons are cool!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #38
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I love Dragons!!
Smaug was awesome. He's probably one of my favorites. I love Tolkien's interpretation of them. Powerful and evil, yet intelligent.
Has anyone of you dragon lovers read The Song in the Silence. You might want to check it out.
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:02 PM   #39
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

I love dragons! especially the ones on the fronts of Anne McCaffery's books, they're so cool!

SMAUG ROCKS!
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 04:32 AM   #40
Baby-K
Corruptor

I don't have particularly strong feelings for (or against) dragons, but what I do find interesting is the similarities between Smaug & the dragon in the Dutch story "De Koning van Katoren"

Smaug, in my view (could be wrong though) sound very similar to "smog" so I always associate his name with that sort of grey, dirty fog found in cities (caused by the fumes etc expelled by industires & cars). The same applies to the dragon in "Koning" - his name was Smook (meaning Smog).

Both these dragons where the cause of the downfall of the people who first lived in the areas they decided to make their own.

In both cases the people adapted to the presence of the dragon in some way (in Hobbit they basically gave up on their land & moved away and in "Koning" they stayed away from the area where the dragon lived & wore gass masks) but they always yearned for someone to come & relieve them of the dragon.

Enough said about that for now - I don't think Smaug was a bad guy at all - it was in his nature to be the way he was & being an animal (essentially) - albeit a very intelligent, cunning one - one couldn't exclude the fact that his actions were driven by instinct rather than rational thought............