Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2002, 08:57 PM   #1
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Fun Hobbit Poll

1) Was the Hobbit your first introduction to Middle Earth?
Yes
2) How were you introduced to the Hobbit?
When I was about seven years old, my Dad brought his original copy down from the attic and started reading a chapter every night. Unfortunately, he never finished reading to us, and when I was eight years old I finished it off myself and then went on the the Lord of the Rings.
3) Did you like the Hobbit?
Yes, but mainly because I can be sentimental when it comes to originals and firsts (I used to say it was my favorite Middle Earth book, but I've chnaged to Silmarrillion since then). I do, however, appreciate its qualities as an introduction and feel it should be read first.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:05 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Re: Fun Hobbit Poll

Yes

I was made to read it when I was 11 for intermediate school. (A book review for the "readers" of the class.)

Not the first time, no. I hated it. I thought it was monotonous. But eh, what does a snotty nosed 11 year old know? Since then, I have re-read it tonnes of times, and I love it! (I REALLY don't know what I was thinking... brain must have seeped out my ears or something!)
Old 05-28-2002, 09:53 PM   #3
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Fun Hobbit Poll

B]1) Was the Hobbit your first introduction to Middle Earth?[/b]

Yes

I was introduced to it by a friend when I was 14. I also learned about some music references to LotR and went out to get it as soon as I finished the hobbit. I still have them (paperback w/ price of $1 USD)

I actually liked it, but kind of forgot about it after reading LotR. I liked the link and it made LotR easier to follow, having been introduced to ME and it's inhabitants.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 11:22 PM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes, The Hobbit was my first ME book, a freshman english teacher mentioned it, and I adored it.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:30 AM   #5
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

1. Yes
2. Reading assignment for school when i was 10
3. I loved it. It was simplereading but yet an awesome book. The image of beorn coming into the battle of five armies was extremely clear. But for some reason i got the idea that Bilbo had a beard..I cant get that outta my head..
Old 05-29-2002, 01:47 PM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Yes

My sister had read it, liked it and bugged me until I did. (about the only thing I can thank her for )

Yes, though I wasn't exactly thrilled by it. It was a pleasant story. A bit of a kiddie book but very entertaining.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:52 PM   #7
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes
My dad loved The Hobbit and when the animated movie came out (I was around 7 yrs old) he got us the record of the movie (talk about watered down!). Then he bought me the book (a hardcover that I still have) which I read a few times, then in middle school we got to read it and was so excited because I loved Middle Earth and of course being assigned a book you've already read and liked is good.
I liked it so much I've spent the rest of my life wanting to live in ME.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:44 AM   #8
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

1) Was The Hobbit your first introduction to Middle Earth?
Yes

2) How were you introduced to The Hobbit?
I saw the Rankin-Bass cartoon when I was about 4, forgot about it, and was walking through the library one day when I saw the Hobbit. I was about 13 or 14. Something clicked and I vaguely remembered something about a dragon, so I thought it might be pretty cool and picked it up.

3) Did you like The Hobbit?
Yes. I thought it was a cool story, saw the little thing in the back about "if you liked this, read more in the Lord of the Rings", and read the Lord of the Rings. If I ever want something from Middle-Earth but not as dark or as serious as LotR, I just pick up The Hobbit again.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:46 AM   #9
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Strider

1. Yes
2. My mom offered to buy it for me once, and I'll take anything thats free.
3. I liked it a lot. It was better than any other book I'd ever read. I also liked it because it was in a different strange world. It wasn't corny like other books with garden gnomes running around and nymphs watering plants. It was better than any other fantasy book I'd ever read. I also liked the way that Tolkien talked to the readers. It was different and interesting.

*gee, did I say WAY to much??? *
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 01:24 PM   #10
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

1) Was the hobbit your first introduction to Middle Earth?
yes

2) How were you introduced to The Hobbit?
My grand sister bought it and read it. After years she convinced me to read it too.

[b]3) Did you like The Hobbit?
It was a great book. I defenetly liked it... it was the bookI read when I read it, but then I read LOTR...
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 02:49 PM   #11
ladyisme
Enting

(1) Was the Hobbit your first introduction to ME?
Yes.

(2) How were you introduced to the Hobbit?
My father read it to me as a child and then when I was a little older I read it for myself.

(3) Did you like the Hobbit?
I loved it right from the start. No sooner had I finished reading it than I started in on LOTR.

Quote:
"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 05:59 PM   #12
Laredith
Enting

1. Was THE HOBBIT your first introduction to ME?
No...it was the new movie...

2. How were you introduced to THE HOBBIT?
After seeing the movie on my birthday, my dad went to BookStop and got it for us.

3. Did you like THE HOBBIT?
I loved THE HOBBIT! I've read it twice (it was this year that I got it, give me a break!) It is one of the coolest books that I have ever read. AND it is way better than the movie!
Laredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 06:04 PM   #13
Jador
Elven Warrior

Gimli

1.Jointly,Yes.
2.My mum gave me two old books,that she had dug up from somewhere,'The Hobbit.'and'The adventures of Tom Bombadil'
She had read them years before,and 'cause I was well into reading at the time(and still am)she thought I should try them.
I think I was around 8 or 9,I must have started Lotr soon after because I remember being on my second reading before I left Primary school at 10 1/2.
3.Loved it-see above.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:41 AM   #14
Valacirca
Hobbit

No, LOTR was.

After I had finished LOTR and Silmarillion, I started reading it because I wanted to read more Tolkien.

Yes, I did - I recently re-read it and it was almost as good as on the first time.
Valacirca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 11:58 AM   #15
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
1. Was THE HOBBIT your first introduction to ME?
Yes, well, kind of. My sister was required to read LOTR for school, and I remember her talking about it (which is why I knew the whole 'nine-fingers' thing before I even read it). But the Hobbit was the first Tolkien book I personally read.

2. How were you introduced to THE HOBBIT?
I was bored, and looking through my mini-library (my home has a lot of books) for something I hadn't read yet. I remembered my sister talking about The Hobbit, and found my dad's old version, and decided I'd give it a go. I was in seventh grade.

3. Did you like THE HOBBIT?
No. I hated it. In fact, I loathed it so much it was the first book I didn't get all the way through the first time. I hadn't even gotten to "Riddles in the Dark" when I stopped reading it, and then I swore I would never read anything Tolkien again.

Hehe. I was pretty stupid.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:07 PM   #16
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hi Star, Why didn't you like it? Did you think the writing style was boring or hard to read, or what? I just got the book on tape version from the library and am listening to it when I'm working in the kitchen.. Book on tape is wierd! I sort of feel like I'm cheating or something,
Old 06-04-2002, 12:18 PM   #17
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Hehe. I found it dull, and childish, I guess. I have an 'advanced' reading level, and had been reading more 'advanced' books for an incredibly long time (in fact, I got in trouble by a teacher once because I finished a book at my grade level in fifteen minutes). I guess I thought I was 'too old' for it.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:10 PM   #18
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

If you don't like The Hobbit - it's ok for me. But to say that this book is childish!! it's a great book with a great story and everything. Too bad that someone who like LOTR don't like Th Hobbit.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 03:45 PM   #19
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

never too old to have fun!!
Old 06-05-2002, 08:18 AM   #20
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider

I was eagerly anticipating the PJ film, even though I had never read Tolkien. A couple of weeks before the film opened, I decided to go ahead and plunge in to the books and I started with The Hobbit because I understood that's where Bilbo's story began.

I got a bit bored with it the first time through. After reading the LOTR trilogy a couple of times, I decided to try to reread it and enjoyed it a bit more, but still found it far less engaging than LOTR.
Then, yesterday I decided to read it again.....for one thing, I've reread everything else I own by Tolkien, plus books of essays, and also a thread on the Inklings forum (about the Necromancer) motivated me to look back at it. To my surprise, last night I could hardly put it down and picked it up again promptly this morning! It suddenly has a whole new life for me!

I'm glad to hear so many of you discovered it and liked it at a young age, because I've been considering using it in my English class. I may read the whole thing aloud to my ninth graders. (mostly average to below-average readers) What do you think?