Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2002, 04:48 PM   #41
Eothain
Enting

Best Dwarf

I like Balin Best

Where is the hand on the harpsting, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?

They have past like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning, or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Frodo lives
Eothain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:09 PM   #42
NoriThunderanger
Sapling

I like Bombur mainly because all troubles seemed to gravitate toward the poor guy. I also like Óin and Glóin (Glóin especially, because he spawned the best; Gimli).
NoriThunderanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 02:57 PM   #43
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you there !!!!!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 10:46 AM   #44
Curunír
Enting

Bombur for me! He's THE dwarf!!!
ulle frulle kulle a cup of milk huy!
Curunír is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 04:00 AM   #45
Mahal
Sapling

I liked Thorin a lot--he is probably the most complex Dwarf ever, aside from Gimli. Thorin went from being high-and-mighty to alarmingly obsessive to redemptive at the end. The many sides of his character were well depicted and entertaining to read.

I also liked Dáin, who (I'm not sure about the spoiler policy here, so I'll err on the side of caution)
had slain Azog, thereby avenging his great-uncle Thrór and his father Náin and ending the War for Vengeance--all at the very young age (for a Dwarf) of thirty-two.
His dealings with Elves and Men (and a hobbit) after the Battle of the Five Armies showed fair-mindedness and generosity, and I daresay he made a better King under the Mountain than Thorin himself would have.

The elderly and kindly Balin was also endearing, though I agree scarlet isn't the best color for a lookout.
His later demise as Lord of Moria added a kind of tragic grandeur to his story,
without making him any less the grandfatherly Dwarf with an affinity for seed-cake and beer.

Alas, Fili and Kili, we barely knew ye... Besides being plucky and loyal young Dwarves they were also the last of Thrór's line, and that entire line died out with them. In many ways Thrór and his descendents were symbolic of the hardship of Dwarves in a darkening world, and I was sorry to see their story end this way.

The blunt-speaking Glóin was also a favorite, if only because of his son. And anyway the fellow has his good points--he can be hasty, as shown in both The Hobbit and LoTR, but he's also quick to admit it if he's shown to be in the wrong. Come to think of it, that's true of aforementioned son, too.

Argh, too many to choose from! I'm just a little dwarf-obsessed, in case you can't tell...
Mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 03:42 AM   #46
FattyBulger
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil

Fili, Kili, Balin (he's very elven exept for the fact he's a dwarf) and Oin (he keeps a journal, I find people who keep journals are usually clever and reasonable)
Old 01-19-2003, 07:20 AM   #47
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I really hated Bombur in the beginning, but that was a long time ago.
When I read The Hobbit for the first time I remember thinking "how can all the dwarfes survive every adventure?". I thought that at least Bombur would die very soon (because of his weight, of course) and that the weakest dwarves would follow him sooner or later.
But every dwarf survives, except for the one I believed was the strongest; Thorin.

But now, I don't hate Bombur anymore. On the contrary I like him very much. I loved to read that he had become even more fat in LotR

My favourite dwarf is Balin, it hurt me to find him dead in LotR.
But after reading LotR, I started to like Glóin, since he and Bilbo had a little chat in Rivendell. That made me nostalgic and made me want to read The Hobbit again. And when Gimli, the son of Glóin,
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:58 AM   #48
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
But every dwarf survives, except for the one I believed was the strongest; Thorin.
Fili and Kili die too.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 12:26 PM   #49
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Fili and Kili die too.
Of course, how could I forget that? Shame on me!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:22 PM   #50
unregistered
Enting

I'm going to have to say bombur. Although Fili and Kili are tite to.. And Balin... And Gloin... ugh w/e there all cool

I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel...thin, sort of...stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.
I need a holiday, a very long holiday, and I don't expect
I shall return. In fact, I mean not to.-Biblo Baggins
unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 03:55 PM   #51
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gollum

I like Balin the Best.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:25 PM   #52
Fingolfin_1st
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

well my favourite dwarves from the hobbit are fili and kili as in the battle of five armies they defended thorin with their own bodies.they were brave warriors and were willing to lay down their lives for him.

my two favourite dwarves of all are gimli and dain-my explanation would be too long
Old 02-01-2003, 04:11 PM   #53
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

my favourite was thorin. All though he was a bit greedy he wanted what belonged to him. (the gem i can't remember, bilbo found it i think). he was allways serious and smart. Great worrier.
all though my favorite all time dwarf would be durin the deathless.
one of the seven dwarfs made my Aule the valar and build moria.
Lord Manafirogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 04:57 PM   #54
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Balin or Fili or Kili.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:50 AM   #55
Ellison
Hobbit

Gimli

Definetly Fili and Kili, though Bombur made any and all situations hilarious. Poor guy, I couldn't stand to see him fall in the stream. So... predictable though.
Quote:
Nothing gold can stay. -Robert Frost
Ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:18 PM   #56
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Thorin and Bombur. Bombur seemed like a very agreeable dwarf, and rather sweet. I just thought Thorin was interesting.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 04:09 PM   #57
IthilienPrincess
Sapling

Location: Ithilien, Middle Earth, I'm legolas's bride, tolkien just forgot to mention me
Bombur, Kili, Fili, and Balin. Besides Dori and Thorin, they were really the only ones that developed a personality throughout the book. The others weren't mentioned as often. Bombur just seemed absolutely adorable, and i can just imagine the fat little dwarf whining to let him go back ot sleep. Kili and Fili were the young ones that always got stuck with the bad jobs, but they seldom complained, the ending was so tragic! They had the most potential to become great in the end, soo sad....Balin was just a good guy,always treated Bilbo well. I really didn't like Thorin, he always underestimated Bilbo, and he was extremely greedy, which i suppose is the dwarf way, but still. Dori was a good dwarf, and would probably be my fifth favorite.

~*~Ithilien Princess~*~
Legolas's Queen, haha, i wish
IthilienPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:19 PM   #58
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

1) Thorin
2) Balin
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:44 PM   #59
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

probably thorin because he is most described and then gloin
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 01:37 PM   #60
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Sam Gamgee

Gotta love the fat ones! BOMBUR! I love him. he's so cute. somehow that comes back to me....( the fat hobbit. he knows )