Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-01-2002, 12:17 AM   #41
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Gollum

its ok.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 03:50 PM   #42
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

you have to read The Silmarilion. it's all there.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 01:06 PM   #43
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Sam Gamgee

I'm getting there. I'm just not ready yet.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:57 AM   #44
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

You guys also forget the fact that the hobbit is a completely different writing style then LOTR is.

The Hobbit is a cute little book about a little guy running off to get some gold.

LOTR is a harrowing journey full of fear, death, and poetry. The style is more poetic and the perils are more "perilous".

Except for the fact that LOTR stemmed from TH you could almost say the TH was an alternate ME.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 03:01 PM   #45
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

So what you are saying is.... your point is that.....

what you're saying not refute to the fact that Gandalf could die.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:07 AM   #46
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I put it in the wrong thread, thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited by webwizard333 : 07-23-2002 at 05:55 PM.
webwizard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:20 PM   #47
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

okay...... but what with that and with the subject??
Old 08-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #48
Thorir Orcbane
Hobbit

Location: Where the shadows of the ancient world still dwell.
Gandalf

Then if Maiar could not use there power as men how come when the Balrog was attacking the door in Moria, Gandalf put a sealing spell on the door and cursed the Balrog? What does that say?

"Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!" - Elendil/Aragorn

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo

"No, no, no! Who gave the short kid Desert Eagles?"
Thorir Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #49
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Hmmm.... Gandalf did use spells before in both the Hobbit and FotR. Maybe a sealing spell was permitted because it didn't require him to reveal his full power? And maybe when he cursed the Balrog the power lay more in what he said than any 'spell,' akin to how "the name of Elbereth" drove off the Nazgul? Any thoughts?

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #50
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightice View Post
I'd say, that nine Nazgul would be darm much harder to kill than 900 goblins, plus their special powers and aura of fear.
The point is not whether you can kill them, but whether you can get out of the situation alive. Where do you think you have better chances - in the middle of a 900-headed Orc thrall, or in front of nine fire-, water- and Elf-fearing Nazgûl?

(And as a side note, truly has the Númenorian blood grown thin if the Men of Minas Anor fear those wretched shadows.)
Old 08-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #51
Tinman
Enting

I first off am one to believe that gandalf was powerful, but not super man. He was just as easily killed by a stray arrow as any random soldier.

That being said, I think Gandalf maybe could have escaped the burning tree's that night, but I dont think that was his goal. Gandalf had a mission that was bigger than himself, and his job was to get those dwarves across middle earth, and to set them up with the means to defeat a potentially undefeatable ally to sauron. Sure, maybe gandalf could make it out alive, but what about the dwarves? What about the poor bumbling burglar he hired? If they failed their missing, the siege of dol goldur would have been impossible, as no doubt, smaug would have recruited to Sauron's agenda.

Gandalf was planning to go off like a bomb, take out as many of the goblins and wargs in the area that he could, so that the dwarves mission might be a success. Their fate determined the fate of the White Council's next move.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #52
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Besides - at the time Bilbo wrote down this adventure, he didn't know that Gandalf was a Maia. Or maybe even what a Maia was!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #53
Pitchike12
Enting

I don't think Gandalf died because of that. Actually Gandalf jumped because he is I think going to ride a dragon? That what I just remembered.
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. -Gandalf
Pitchike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #54
Huorn
Elven Warrior

I've read the Hobbit. I didn't get the impression that Gandalf died at all. This is news to me.

Just call me Oakie
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #55
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

If you read the first post of this thread, you'll see that we're just discussing what might have happened.
Gandalf was rescued, so he didn't have to risk dying there and then after all.
You're quite right that he didn't die in The Hobbit.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #56
the insane one
Sapling

Going back to the main point about Gandalf, it wasnt until Bilbo saw him blowing smoke rings in Beorns house he saw how great he was, So he may have underestimated him.
But Gandalf still takes the form of 'an old man' and despite "magic" powers he could still be physically broken (just like his arm) or killed biophysically

"White!" he sneered "It serves as the begining. White cloth may be dyed. The white page may be overwritten; and the white light may be broken."

"in which case is is no longer white" siad I. "And he that breaks something to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
the insane one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #57
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

In my humble opinion, he would have died. I have no deep analysis, but based on reading The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings many times, I believe they could have killed him.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #58
Torongil
Hobbit

Yea, he probably would have blasted a lot of the goblins and wargs with all of the strength he had in a lightning bolt or something but in the end I believe he would have been cut into threads...
Torongil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #59
Thorir Orcbane
Hobbit

Location: Where the shadows of the ancient world still dwell.
Honestly, and with all due respect to the numerous opinions of all here, I don't think the great Gandalf would have been defeated just yet. I realise that he was not the White yet, and may have not been able to access that amount of power, but remember he was only second to Saruman the White, and as an Istari and Maia, he was still extremely powerful and not a force to be reckoned with. Not saying he would escape from a few hundred Orcs and Wargs unscathed, but he would probably escape nonetheless.

"Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!" - Elendil/Aragorn

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo

"No, no, no! Who gave the short kid Desert Eagles?"
Thorir Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #60
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I first off am one to believe that gandalf was powerful, but not super man. He was just as easily killed by a stray arrow as any random soldier.

That being said, I think Gandalf maybe could have escaped the burning tree's that night, but I dont think that was his goal. Gandalf had a mission that was bigger than himself, and his job was to get those dwarves across middle earth, and to set them up with the means to defeat a potentially undefeatable ally to sauron. Sure, maybe gandalf could make it out alive, but what about the dwarves? What about the poor bumbling burglar he hired? If they failed their missing, the siege of dol goldur would have been impossible, as no doubt, smaug would have recruited to Sauron's agenda.

Gandalf was planning to go off like a bomb, take out as many of the goblins and wargs in the area that he could, so that the dwarves mission might be a success. Their fate determined the fate of the White Council's next move.

I agree with Tinman. As a Maia, Gandalf's spirit may have been immortal but his body was not. They were facing unbeatable odds, and to stay in the trees would have meant certain death for all. His plan was a desperate attempt to use his subtle arts to save the Dwarves and Bilbo. To do that he would have needed to occupy all the Goblins and Wargs and until he was sure his charges were out of harm's way. A fighting retreat would have been out of the question.

Fear Complacency!