Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 08:42 AM   #81
azalea
Long lost mooter

Does it have to do w/ grey trees? or am I looking at it the wrong way?

Is it Gondor?
Old 04-17-2002, 10:24 AM   #82
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Well, it definately has to do with grey....

But not trees.

And it was supposed to be on hold...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 04-17-2002, 12:50 PM   #83
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Just like an orc to go out of turn, but since SLL is still thinking I will give it a shot. King Bladorthin was most likely a contemporary of Thror II, which would mean the Dunedain kingdoms were long gone. "Long since dead" means that he was not an elf (and besides no third age elf would have ordered arms from Dwarves) and his Kingdom was east of the Misty Mountains. It could have been Dale, but the lords of Dale up to the time of Girion were not called kings. Hmmm. The kingdom must have been close enough to Dale and Erebor to conduct trade.

Methinks his kingdom was Dorwinion, (where the Elves wine comes from). Gold inlaids are showy but not practical in battle, which would suggest his spears were probably just for show-- for parades and royal guards and stuff.

Gandalf's name was originally Bladorthin, but since its pronunciation is "bladder-thin" it sounded a bit too ridiculous for a wizard, so the professor changed it.

Confirm if I'm right or not, oh impetuous and brutish one, but nonetheless I will defer until SLL comes back, or wait a while.

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 04-17-2002 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:29 PM   #84
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Very good. Bladorthin was the name Tolkien considered for the grey one. The best complete translation I have seen is "grey one from the land of the Valar" but the Welsh elements are admitedly odd.

And Dorwinion is one of the best possible locations for his kingdom.... Though it is by no means certain.

Jar it's a trick qwestiun, what didja spect?

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...

Last edited by Blackheart : 04-17-2002 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:46 PM   #85
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Ok, ok, I've got it!

Who was with Biblo just before he killed his first spider?
Old 04-19-2002, 06:18 PM   #86
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

All the Dwarves
Old 04-20-2002, 12:56 AM   #87
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Umm, his first spider? giant spider or little one?

Giant spider would be no one, as it had caught him napping and partially bound his legs, forcing him to beat it off with his hands until he could draw his dagger, slash the webs on his legs- and stab the spider.

After which he named the dagger sting - wiped it off and put it in the sheath.

If memory serves me.

Old 04-20-2002, 09:08 PM   #88
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

his first big spider. And yes, there was somebody with him!
Old 04-20-2002, 09:48 PM   #89
TinuvielChild
Padawan

was it fili or kili?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-20-2002, 11:38 PM   #90
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Well now was it just before, or during?

but really- I hope your not counting the precious.

Because one of the associated statements about killing the spider was that it made a real difference in Bilbo's self view, killing the spider all alone and by himself.

If I recall correctly, he fell asleep after being seperated from the dwarves at the woodelves night revel (the third or 4th time they tried to get some help- damnable elves) and woke up being wound in silk by a spider. And I don't remember any spiders being killed before that one....

And you can't count the spider either!

Last edited by Blackheart : 04-20-2002 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:05 AM   #91
azalea
Long lost mooter

It has to be either Sting or the Ring. (or the spider -- ???)
Old 04-21-2002, 10:48 AM   #92
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Yes, it's the spider! It's azalea's turn, 'cause Blackheart said that it couldn't be...so that doesn't really count.

And why couldn't it be?
Old 04-21-2002, 01:47 PM   #93
azalea
Long lost mooter

Very tricksy! Well, mine can't be found in the book, so I hope it's a fair question. Unless you have an original ed.

What episode of The Hobbit did Tolkein make changes to in later editions, making it different from the first published editions? (For extra credit, tell why ).

I have a hint if you need it.

Last edited by azalea : 04-21-2002 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:22 PM   #94
Blackheart
Elf Lord

BAh. No fair counting the spider, that's just ... bah.

I know WHY he changed it, but I'm not exactly sure which edition it was.

Ohhh- episode! Well hmm- which chapter is it when bilbo meets gollum the magical odd creature who had a ring he was going to give him as a reward for answering the riddles?

The original story dealt with the finding of the ring in a much different manner, gollum had actually offered to give him the ring as a reward for the riddle competition, but Bilbo had found it already and forced him to show him the way out.

Of course when he started to write the LOTR, this scenario would never do for the one ring. No one would offer it as a prize in a riddle competition. So he changed the story to the current version, and then in a very nice little stroke of genius, said that the original story was the lie that Bilbo told to cover the real circumstances of the finding, and to be rid of the title of thief.

Close enough?

Old 04-22-2002, 08:33 AM   #95
azalea
Long lost mooter

EXCELLENT! I found that to be very interesting when I read about it. You really know your Hobbit!
Old 04-22-2002, 09:40 AM   #96
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Well, I keep reading it for a bedtime story, and it makes me have funny dreams....

Does that mean I have to ask a riddle.. err question?

Old 04-22-2002, 12:48 PM   #97
TinuvielChild
Padawan

your turn Blackheart!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:18 PM   #98
Blackheart
Elf Lord

What have I got in my pocket?

Ohh no wait, someone used that already...

Hmmm. err scratch that...

Last edited by Blackheart : 04-22-2002 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:29 PM   #99
Blackheart
Elf Lord

ahh. Oh hell I don't know- an easy one then- How did Thorin get his surname Oakenshield?

Old 04-22-2002, 01:49 PM   #100
TinuvielChild
Padawan

oooh i know this one-hold on a mo.

In the battle of Azanulbizar (sp?), Thorin's shield got cut in two, so he threw it away and cut off a branch of an oak to use as both a shield and a club.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Closed Thread