Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2004, 11:05 AM   #41
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Ok quick question.

On Gandalf and Bilbo's first meeting, Gandalf says that Bilbo has asked twice for an adventure. Did I miss when he says that? or is Gandalf just being mysterious and elusive?

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:21 AM   #42
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
Ok quick question.

On Gandalf and Bilbo's first meeting, Gandalf says that Bilbo has asked twice for an adventure. Did I miss when he says that? or is Gandalf just being mysterious and elusive?
I think it was 'his pardon' that Gandalf says Bilbo asked him twice for. Bilbo had used the expression, 'I beg your pardon' without meaning it literally (as none of us does when we say it).

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:48 PM   #43
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Ah *smack forehead* stupid How'd I miss that?

OK all clear on chapter 1 we may proceed.

Old 05-21-2004, 01:44 PM   #44
Valandil

Theoden

So... who wants to post the Chapter 2 summary:

Elvengirl? Lizra? Radagast? Artanis? Gaffer? Maegondowen? Other?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 05-21-2004, 04:12 PM   #45
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
So... who wants to post the Chapter 2 summary:

Elvengirl? Lizra? Radagast? Artanis? Gaffer? Maegondowen? Other?
I can't, I don't evenb have the Hobbit in English... and I doubt I'll manage to write a good summary.

Btw, Happy Birthday Maegondowen!
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #46
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I have to welch out at this stage since my copy has gone AWOL. I will provide verbose support and/or argument on memory but I think doing a review from memory would be pushing my frazzled gray matter somewhat.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:19 PM   #47
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I could do it....sometime! This IS the last week of school (argh! ) and my big girl graduates Sat. If someone else wants to, go right ahead! ...or be patient and wait.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:31 PM   #48
Valandil

Theoden

I think we can easily wait 10 days to 2 weeks. Thanks Lizra!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-25-2004, 02:10 AM   #49
michaelsilverton
Sapling

how 20 Northmoor Road inspired The Hobbit

see www.tolkienhouse.com

for pics and information about JRRT's life at 20 Northmoor Road and how the design of the house influenced The Hobbit
michaelsilverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:15 PM   #50
Valandil

Theoden Re: how 20 Northmoor Road inspired The Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelsilverton
see www.tolkienhouse.com

for pics and information about JRRT's life at 20 Northmoor Road and how the design of the house influenced The Hobbit
Are you a realtor?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 05-29-2004, 02:25 AM   #51
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, I'll make a go...

Chapter two is "Roast Mutton". (which always makes me think of Azalea becasue she had the troll's mutton lament in her signature forever! )

Bilbo wakes to find his dining room a wreck. The dwarves had made a big breakfast and left all the dirty dishes. So this was proof that the previous night's party was not a bad dream, but Hey! at least they were gone! It says Bilbo was a "trifle" disappointed, and I believe it. (just a tiny trifle! ) I really don't think he wanted to go, at all!

After putting things in order and taking a well deserved *second* rest...Good old Gandalf shows up. He points out the note, left on the mantle, by the dwarves. (I think he should say "Great oliphaunts!" instead of "Great elephants!" ) I personally believe Gandalf actually "poofs" Bilbo out the door. Our esteemed Mr. Baggins is once more doing something he doesn't want to do, merely because it is expected of him! I bet Gandalf would have a much harder time getting a modern day Baggins out the door....puffing off to the Green Dragon. Folks know how to stand up and say "No!" in this day and age!

So, off the dwarves and Bilbo go, on a fine adventure. And here comes the wizard, on a white horse, (Shawdowfax?) bringing the niceties Bilbo forgot. The trip/adventure is pleasant enough at first, and they begin to pass through the various countrysides. They get to the uninhabited, "Lone-lands" and hills with dark trees and old castle ruins began to show.

As the action picks up again.....it's rainy and miserable. Night arrives, and it is noticed that good old Gandalf is gone. (bad omen ) They decide they must camp, right there (not in an Inn)...a first for the journey. Supplies are lost in a swollen river, and they are cold, wet, tired, hungry, and bumming. Balin sees a fire in the distance, and the dwarves send *Bilbo the Burgler* off to investigate.

He discovers 3 grumbling, tipsy trolls, roasting a dinner of mutton. Now we launch into a very quaint conversational mode, with the trolls talking cockney english and being amusingly dense. Bilbo stupidly decides to try to "burgle" a troll's purse ( ) and low and behold....the purse squeals, and Bilbo is discovered!

The dumb/drunk trolls have doofus arguments about what to do, and in the meantime, one by one, the cold, wet, hungry dwarves come up and get caught. Thorin does put up a bit of a fight.

The wizard Gandalf returns as the trolls are having their "famous" conversation about how to cook their new found, delicious captives. Gandalf easily keeps them arguing till the sun comes up, and next thing you know, the trolls have turned to stone!

They find the trolls "booty" and two oustanding swords are noted and given to Gandalf and Thorin, Bilbo gets a good knife, that actually serves as a sword to someone as diminutive as a hobbit. Gandalf is impressed with the rune covered swords. They eat and sleep, then wake in afternoon and bury the treasure...for their return trip. Gandalf tells them if they are lucky, they will soon go to Rivendell, and Elrond is brought up.

So...Bilbo, the dwarves, and the trolls are all made fun of, quite a bit of comedy in this chapter! Gandalf is seemingly all knowing, and Bilbo, unfortunately, bungles his first burgle. I didn't expect him to be such a putz, right off the bat! Bilbo's fabulous fortune, the subject of many a hobbit conversation, is "earned" early on also!

Last edited by Lizra : 06-18-2004 at 08:31 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 12:39 AM   #52
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I would love to join this discussion! I usually dont use much of my entmoot time for anything in particualar, and this seems like an excellant way to spend it!
I'll do the chapter 3 summary when we've discussed chap 2.

Note: Before that Hobbit Game came out, I was about half-way through with my own script for one...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 09:53 AM   #53
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Cool! That deserves a smooch or two!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:06 PM   #54
hectorberlioz

The Hobbit-Chapter Three-A Short Rest

A Short Rest (and a short chapter)

In this Chapter, the company takes a rest from the previous chapter's adventures, but they feel that the next chapter is not too far ahead; and with it, more excitement.

Bilbo asks if a certain mountain among those lesser ones of the misty mountains is THE Mountain, and Balin replies "of course not!".

Gandalf leads them to Rivendell, as they come towards the last homely house, Ridiculous Elves sing some very ridiculous songs; they sound drunk. They probably are.
In here it says that Bilbo 'loved elves, though he rarely met them'. I suppose this indicates that Bilbo has met elves before, in the Shire...

The Company meets Elrond, who examines their swords, and declares them of Elvish make (wasnt that something Gandalf did in the last chapter?). Thorin wonders how the trolls came by these weapons, and Elrond replies that it is most likely that the trolls "plundered other plunderers".

Elrond next examines Thorin's map of the lonely mountain. Held against the moonlight, he discovers moon letters. "five feet high the door and three may walk abreast".

Bilbo asks what Moon Letters are; "Moon letters are rune-letters, but you cannot see them, not when you look straight at them. They can only be seen when the moon shines behind them."
Gandalf asks (Gandalf? a questioning youth?) what the moon letters say...
"stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks"
"and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole."

They discuss Durin's Day, Thorin explains that it is the first day of the dwarves year.
The Company goes down to the water to watch Elves sing, go to bed, and wake up to a nice morning.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 05-31-2004, 01:55 PM   #55
azalea
Long lost mooter

Uh, the only thing is, they haven't discussed chapter two yet!

I am so behind on everything. I'll just say a couple of things on chapter one:

"Good morning" and "I beg your pardon"-- this is one of the things that jumped out at me as I read it the first time. Now, knowing so much more about the author, I see that right off he shows his penchant for the nuances of language, that the same phrase can have different meanings (IOW, the person is supposed to infer two different things based on how the other person says it), and how phrases become habitual, that something that is very important (begging someone's pardon) can be reduced to a "filler phrase" or a way to show one's indignance. Tolkien, through Gandalf, draws our attention to that, while at the same time characterizing Gandalf as being very smart; someone who pays attention to language and what is said is someone who can get his goals accomplished by responding accordingly.

The part where Gandalf calls for the cold chicken and whatever, and Bilbo stumps off to the larder muttering that Gandalf seems to know more about what's in his larder than he does himself still cracks me up!!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 02:29 PM   #56
hectorberlioz

I know, buts its a short chapter

I'm surprised that Gandalf didnt know about the runes on the swords already...or perhaps he was feigning?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 05-31-2004, 03:20 PM   #57
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

His wisdom hadn't reached maturity yet?
Yeah...*Gandalf asks*....very funny!

Exactly what is a "homely" house anyway? (Rivendell)

Last edited by Lizra : 05-31-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:35 AM   #58
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra

Exactly what is a "homely" house anyway? (Rivendell)
Homely- having the characteristics of a home, simple, not elaborate, unaffectedly natural

I know what you mean, from that description I always pictured Rivendell to be like a small cottage type house. Not until reading other books did I realized it's much more than a simple house in a valley.... How could he describe it that way?

Yes, I've been behind too.... yikes, I need to start reading....

One thing kind of funny Bilbo says. "Hmmm! It smells like elves!"
I've wondered what that would be like.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:26 PM   #59
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, It was hardley "homely" then....in the movies!

Good point Egirl! I would have thought elves didn't smell, but I don't think he would say that so *point blank*, unless he really meant it "smelled like elves"! So.....How about that green fresh smell of green tea, mixed with a little aged, golden amber scent?

Last edited by Lizra : 06-04-2004 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:26 PM   #60
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Haha yes, I'd imagine it would be an earthy, nature smell.